You are not logged in.

#1 22-02-08 13:37:45

New Girl
Verified Member

Teaching techniques

Hi All
I've decided that its time I did a bit more training but I think what I would like to do is not develope my driving skills but something more along the lines of developing my teaching techniques.  Can anybody recommend a good place to start my research?

22-02-08 13:37:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Teaching techniques

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 23-02-08 12:02:59

samds
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Try out www.smartdriving.co.uk

The Instructor Manual is a good place to start http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/Publicati … Guide1.htm
and then book yourself onto the Masterclass course.

It's the only teaching development course I've been on and it was very very good.

There's also Blaine Walsh who has a video website www.aditraining.com aimed at part 3.  He does further training.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#3 24-02-08 17:55:08

fatdad
Verified Member
Website

Head of training at ROSPA recommended a book to me called coaching for performance by John Whitmore and its very enlightening  big_smile

ADI,Fleet trainer,Rospa Diploma car +LGV ,IAM car+LGV, DIA Special test.

#4 25-02-08 08:55:34

Target
Verified Member
Website

Im currently reading back over all the manuals I started with. Ive also got other books to read when I finally get the time. Finished the new HWC and just started reading Roadcraft ( or is it the driving manual I cant tell they both sound the same  wink ).

You could find a good local trainer and look to increase your CT grade.

Id recommend the DIA manual.....City & Guilds/.

Dipdi will offer good home studying, and will get you to look at every aspect of your tuition.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#5 25-02-08 09:18:43

samds
Verified Member
Website

I've just ordered 'NLP for Dummies' and Fatdads suggested read of 'Coaching For Performance'.

Also been looking at NLP practitioner courses.

....and plumbing courses because I'm obviously in the wrong game, can't seem to get a plumber to come and do a bl**dy job!!

#6 25-02-08 17:02:42

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Coaching for performance is an excellent book, John Whitmore (ignoring his proclamations on steering technique which serve only to confuse the layman, let alone ADIs) is an excellent writer and was one of the writers of the first "Roadcraft" - something I didn't know until after I'd put Coaching for Performance on my mandatory reading list for PDIs.

NLP for dummies is also excellent - a great way in to the subject for anyone.

smdtr - keep an eye out for good NLP practitioner courses, though be careful with who the course is aimed at - there are 2 roles for NLP - personal improvement and coaching for improvement - though there are big crossovers I would suggest working on the coaching side would be of most use.

Let us know if you find a good course - I for one am thinking about doing this myself sometime in the near future.

#7 25-02-08 22:08:19

Lynne
Verified Member

I was also looking at NLP last year there was one running at the local college but they were only giving me 2 weeks notice that the courses were running by which time I'd already booked lessons in.

#8 25-02-08 22:35:21

samds
Verified Member
Website

I've found this one so far ..  http://www.nlpworld.co.uk/

#9 26-02-08 08:03:57

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Books are very useful, but nothing can beat on road training!  Get some training from an ORDIT reg instructor trainer!  City and Guilds is good idea, and all advanced tests. 

Mind Driving is a great book though!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#10 02-03-08 22:07:58

jonnmedds
Verified Member

Hi new girl
-City & Guilds 7302 as has been said is a great course. I did mine over a period of six months 1 night per weekat my local college (Stoke on Trent).
-John Farlam does an ADI masterclass course, I've had training with him in the past and he's very good.
-The DIA and ADI Federation also do lots of courses aimed at the ADI.
-I completed my Diploma in Occupational Fleet & Advanced Driving Instruction last year which enables me to join the fleet register. Very good course runs over five day's

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 04-03-08 00:25:42

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

I completed my Diploma in Occupational Fleet & Advanced Driving Instruction last year which enables me to join the fleet register

who was this with and what kind of content did it involve?

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 04-03-08 18:50:06

jonnmedds
Verified Member

jonnmedds wrote:

I completed my Diploma in Occupational Fleet & Advanced Driving Instruction last year which enables me to join the fleet register

who was this with and what kind of content did it involve?

Hi Ekal

The course was with a company called Instructor Training Specialists from Ashby de la Zouch in Leicestershire.

The course covered:
   The need for post test development
   Causes of accidents and crashes
   Advanced driving skills
   Roadcraft principles
   Organisation and managing clients
   Presentations
   Report writing
   Assessments
   Practical coaching skills
The course finished with a three part examination.
Part one was a theory examination covering, Occupational & Fleet requirements, Driving theory,     
Roadcraft principles and mechanical and legal aspects.
Part two was an advanced driving test and Part three was a test of coaching ability

#13 15-03-08 14:16:08

juke
Verified Member

Hi New Girl

Just to say I have done the city and guilds 7302 and the John Farlam ADI Masterclass and both were very good John Farlam was excellent. I am now looking at Rospa Training, I have already done the IAM Advanced Driving. It is all worth doing if you can.

Juke

Board footer