You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 29-02-08 21:30:40

DEE

I killed a pheasant!!

Hiya All

Last night I was driving through Cannock Chase. It was at 9.30pm so dark.
Cannock Chase is very dark at night and you have to be extra careful

I was happily tootling along at approx 40mph with high beam on.
A car approached me so I dipped my headlights so as not to dazzle him
When all of a sudden a huge deer jumped out on my side of the road

I swerved to miss the deer (if anyone has seen the size of the deer around here they would swerve too) I got safely around the deer and around the oncoming car when out of the corner of my eye I saw something shoot in front of me....Heard a bump and felt Zaffy run over something  yikes

I indicated pulled over and put my hazards on and got out to take a look and check the car
I had hit and killed a large pheasant  yikes :cry: :cry:
There were feathers everywhere
I felt really sorry for the poor thing

I got back into the car and carried on to where I was going pretty shaken up
On the way back I noticed one of Cannock Chase rangers picking up what was left of the pheasant so I stopped and told him all about it. He said that I had done the right thing in hitting the pheasant and avoiding the deer. The deer could have easily wrecked my car or even worse  yikes. I am always careful when driving through the Chase as there are lots of different wild animals on there with no road sense at all. But from now on I will be extra vigilant and keep a more watchful eye out for our feathered friends

Dee

THEORY PASSED 1ST TIME...20 JULY
PASSED 14 DEC 10 MINORS!!!!!
IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
SUCCESS COMES IN A CAN NOT A CANNOT!!!!
event.png

29-02-08 21:30:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: I killed a pheasant!!

#2 29-02-08 21:34:12

Karenadi
Verified Member

DINNER lol

Did you know that if you killed a Pheasant (or the deer for that matter), it is illegal to stop, pick it up and put it in your car to take home for dinner BUT the next car passing can stop and pick it up and take it home!

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 29-02-08 21:38:10

DEE

DINNER lol

Did you know that if you killed a Pheasant (or the deer for that matter), it is illegal to stop, pick it up and put it in your car to take home for dinner BUT the next car passing can stop and pick it up and take it home!

Hiya Karen

Yes I did know that
In fact years ago I knew a man who was prosecuted and jailed for doing just that!!

As for dinner have you ever tasted pheasant?................YUCK!!! lol
Plus unfortunatly there wasnt that much left for dinner   sad
A pheasant pancake maybe  yikes

Dee

event.png

#4 29-02-08 21:42:59

helee
Verified Member

today I had a pupil on her first ever lesson.

We did her first pull away and stop and when she stopped she pulled onto the dropped kerb slightly. As i explained to her about the kerb a pigeon just dropped from the sky and hit the road and bounced. How it happened I will never know but I told my pupil thats what happens when people park on the pavement!!!

She looked horrified until I told her I was kidding!!!!

#5 29-02-08 21:45:04

Karenadi
Verified Member

Drive through fast food for fox. :evil:

I thought Pheasant was a much sought after delicacy.  I'm toooo fussy to try new food.  Plain simple and what I know is all I eat.

A rabbit ran into my headlights one night: I saw it sat at the side of the road in the full beam - it just looked at me and ran into the lights.  Squashed.

My husband called me a rabbit murderer and took me back next day to see it.  Well upset me for ages.  Poor creature.

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 29-02-08 21:48:44

DEE

Drive through fast food for fox. :evil:

I thought Pheasant was a much sought after delicacy.  I'm toooo fussy to try new food.  Plain simple and what I know is all I eat.

A rabbit ran into my headlights one night: I saw it sat at the side of the road in the full beam - it just looked at me and ran into the lights.  Squashed.

My husband called me a rabbit murderer and took me back next day to see it.  Well upset me for ages.  Poor creature.

Awwww Karen

You see lots of squished rabbits around here
They dont have any road sense at all  :?
They lie in wait at the side of the road untill they know that there is no way that you can stop  yikes

I once did an ES for a rabbit and nearly gave my brother whiplash!!!!!
But thats a whole different story LOL  big_smile

Dee

event.png

#7 01-03-08 14:52:55

Gizmotime
Administrator

Could have been worse, it could have been my cat, he's been missing since Thursday morning :cry:

Poor Pheasant, Dee how could you yikes big_smile

Giz

#8 01-03-08 15:37:50

adi
Verified Member
Website

DINNER lol

Lol, I can just picture some guy driving home with a deer hanging out the boot! smile

#9 01-03-08 21:20:29

dog
Verified Member

Good job on reacting well and hitting the pheasant instead of the deer. To be honest, if I was driving at that speed, on that type of road, and in those conditions, unless it was a very big animal which ran out in front of me (eg one which could cause ME harm if I hit it), I'd rather just jam the brakes on and hope I stop in time or hit it at really low speed than swerve around it and risk losing control. I know most modern cars are fitted with safety systems which make it near impossible to lose control of the car in high speed avoidance manoeuvres, but my car is 9 years old, it doesn't have such luxuries.

I know someone who was travelling at the 40mph limit on a road when a dog ran out in front of him. He managed to avoid it but at the cost of his car and almost his life.

306crash5vc0.jpg

306crash4dl3.jpg

306crash2do9.jpg

No ESP or side airbags. If that lamp post had hit him 9 inches or so forward, he would have almost certainly not walked away from it.

#10 01-03-08 21:39:37

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
2 things, firstly BRAKE rather than swerve, then if and only IF you have ABS or can cadence brake, take an avoiding course, by this time you will have a better idea which way to go.
Animals do have a disconcerting knack of changing direction quicker than you can respond.

secondly that lampost didn't hit your friend "dog" he hit it,
just imagine if the lampost hjad been a child.
Kill a child for the sake of a dog? I think not.

#11 02-03-08 00:27:42

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...firstly BRAKE rather than swerve...

How right!
Unfortunately the first reaction of many drivers is to steer out of trouble before they even think of braking.
I was taught that brakes are the first line of defense, and teach my students this too especially in a city environment.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer