You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 23-02-05 17:54:31

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

Renault Modus

Hi all

I'm test driving a Renault Modus tomorrow - the spec looks good and there's a decent discount available to ADI's.  It's a little bit different to the usual Corsa/Clios I've taught in before, so I  thought it might stand out a bit.

Has anyone experience of using one for tuition?  I could only find one mention on the Forum from November, and the guy seemed to think it was great.

Any thoughts - eg BUY IT, or AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

CC

23-02-05 17:54:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Renault Modus

#2 23-02-05 18:22:15

Hooter Tutor

Sorry don't know much about the Modus but can recommend that you have a look at the Mazda 2  1.4 diesel. One of our insructors has just bought on with free duals and three years free servicing for 9,200. I have driven it and seems like a very good little motor for instruction. Students all love it and it looks the part.

#3 23-02-05 19:02:10

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

I believe the Modus is the floorpan of the new Micra. We have 2 1.2 petrol Micras in the school and the pupils and Instructors (one of them me) love them. The controls are light and the car is really easy to drive. I should think a lot of this is the same on the Modus due to development costs.

The bad bits so far; both 1.2 engines (renault derived items the dealer told me) have had gearbox rattles that needed fixing at under 20000 miles. Mine had a rebuild to the gearbox and was off the road for a week, I believe there had to be a report to Nissan.

I have used the dealers diesel courtesy car. This was different in that the controls were heavier and the normal tight turning circle had gone. Not a fan myself.

Not the Modus I know but, as with many cars now they share a lot of common parts.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#4 23-02-05 20:46:24

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Tested one last November, my colleague and I  liked it but were both  put off mainly by the light bulbs which have to be replaced by workshop (had to change one last Monday night for a test Tuesday first thing - annoying in a Peugeot, !!!!!!!! expensive in a Modus!).

Also the price was steep with no discounts, the price of the Pug was unbeatable and included free He-mans.

Not the worlds greatest lover of Peugeots, but glad I got it over the Modus.

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#5 23-02-05 23:45:43

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

Thanks very much for your comments everybody - I'll be sure to check out the Mazda Hooter as there aren't any of those on the road locally either.  Beonedge you may have saved me from making an expensive mistake - I can't believe that you have to take it to the dealer to change a lightbulb!!  Guess what my first question will be at the dealers tomorrow...

Just for the record, the current Renault offer is £1000 off list price and free metallic paint (normally £325 as an option).  Same applies to the Clio, although after sitting in the Modus, the Clio felt a little dated and claustrophobic

I'll keep you posted

CC

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 24-02-05 18:40:57

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

captain_compass wrote:

Just for the record, the current Renault offer is £1000 off list price and free metallic paint (normally £325 as an option).  Same applies to the Clio, although after sitting in the Modus, the Clio felt a little dated and claustrophobic

I'll keep you posted

CC

Sounds a good deal on the clio as I think they have a very low cost entry model due to a new one out soon, so it could be a time to grab a bargain on clio's.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#7 24-02-05 22:12:51

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

Update 24/2

Well - what a lovely car to drive!  Visibility excellent from the acres of glass and a high, MPV type seating position.  Uncluttered footwell with lots of room for my size 10's - an issue with the Clio, I believe.

I ran through all of the manoeuvres with ease, and had a go in the passenger seat as well.  The upright position and excellent support should reduce fatigue after a long day's tuition.

The centrally mounted digital speedo is bright & clear, and is easier for the learner to glance down at than the more traditional instrument binnacle.

My only quibbles are the small door pockets - won't take an A4 presentation folder - and the strange positioning of the door mirrors, they seem further back than I'm used to.  This will help with pupil observation though, as they'll have to turn the head slightly on mirror checks!  The 1.4 petrol engine felt a little sluggish unless revved hard, but I am comparing it with the 1.6 Focus I currently drive.

I investigated the bulb issue mentioned in the previous posts, and had a go under the bonnet & boot.  All rear bulbs are easily accessible, as are the front indicator bulbs.  The only issue is the headlight bulbs, which look an absolute b***er to deal with.  I didn't get a chance to look at the manual to see if they were user replaceable.  The 5 company cars, 4 Corsas and 2 Focuses I've had have never blown a headlight bulb - no guarantee I know, but it would be a shame to dismiss an otherwise excellent tuition car just on this issue.

Right then - where did I leave the Bank Manager's phone number....
wink

#8 24-02-05 23:14:05

Badger

""... Bank Manager's phone ..""

Bank Manager ?

Which bank do you belong to ?

badger

#9 25-02-05 16:38:38

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

Showing my age.... I actually remember being interviewed by my bank manager for a £200 loan to buy my first motorcycle in 1977!!

On a more serious note - and off topic - I'm just moving my business account to Abbey - free business banking for life, that'll do me!

#10 31-07-05 21:10:28

chrishat34

Hi all,
Looking for a Training car.
Has anybody got any pro's and con's for the Renault Modus, the Seat Ibiza and the Citroen C3.
Thanks
Chris

#11 01-08-05 05:24:07

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Ibiza......

13 months, and 26k covered now, and i prefer it loads to the corsa i had before, and my pupils think its lovely car too.
1.2 sx petrol 3 door.

Pros,
comfy car,
easy to drive, and handle,
nice looking

Con's,
some shorter pupils struggle to see out of back window,( but that covers most cars now)
Easier to stall, as they don't give it much gas.
the 3 flash indicators. whenever stalk is moved slightly it flashes indicators 3 times, then they see that and try to switch them off, and then put others on, and then you end up with disco...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 01-08-05 07:21:49

andy781

Robbie wrote:

Ibiza......

13 months, and 26k covered now, and i prefer it loads to the corsa i had before, and my pupils think its lovely car too.
1.2 sx petrol 3 door.

Pros,
comfy car,
easy to drive, and handle,
nice looking

Con's,
some shorter pupils struggle to see out of back window,( but that covers most cars now)
Easier to stall, as they don't give it much gas.
the 3 flash indicators. whenever stalk is moved slightly it flashes indicators 3 times, then they see that and try to switch them off, and then put others on, and then you end up with disco...

Going off the subject a bit, but do LDC pay for that livery on your car or do you.. it is very eye catching, wonderfull

#13 02-08-05 05:51:26

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

LDC supply the black strip on bottom of doors, the headboard, and the LD square on bonnet and 2 on doors.
I bought an extra one for boot, and all the Checkers and other stickers.
these were what the local Seat garage were putting on there Leon Cupra's as part of their motorsport image, and i thought they looked very eye catching.
I paid £235 for the checks the No1 square, the dunlop,Seat badges, and mobil 1 stickers, and the Carnelian web address, and Carnelian motorsport stickers, all fitted too.
As you can see the checks are on sides, bonnet, and also boot, and roof.
1 thing it does protect paintwork from stone chips, but i dont know about the fading!!!

#14 02-08-05 14:37:51

Rookie
Website

MONDUS looks like an invalid carriage (no offence to invalids, my mate is one of them). high back, but for driving? no. BUT performance look ok.

"Look at the whole picture before you judge". "Judge oneself before you judge the Judger"..... The Rookster.Nov 05

#15 02-08-05 14:53:48

pk1

Robbie have you ever run anybody over who's been mezmerised by your car! lol  lol

#16 02-08-05 15:15:48

Mark Goodman
Verified Member
Website

C3.......
Likes.....

High seat position. (Front passenger seat height adjustable too)
Great visibility
1.4i diesel, great fuel economy
Loads of storage space (eg 2 front passsenger glove bosex, door pockets etc.)
Digital speedo ("Isn't this a 30 limit, not 32??"
Plenty of room in front (not so much in the back, but I only use it to teach in, so don't use teh back seats unless I accompany a test.

Dislikes....

Can sound a bit like a taxi at times (turbo diesel next time perhaps)

After sales service at my local dealer leaves a lot to be desired ( not really anything to do wit hhte car)

Nut spinner and small screwdriver needed to change rear bulbs

Would I have another?...... It will be on my list to test again

#17 02-08-05 17:37:51

Rookie
Website

Wht rear view like in C3? looks a bit like letter box rear window with head restraints fited?

"Look at the whole picture before you judge". "Judge oneself before you judge the Judger"..... The Rookster.Nov 05

#18 02-08-05 22:28:12

pardonhome
Website

Had a corsa for 5years got a Ibiza in  feb a great little car, pupils like it  and comes fully loaded with extras, the one small problem reading the speedo is not very easy from the passenger seat when travelling between 20 and 30 mph , on the plus side i have not had any marked down on a test for speeding. but when it comes to chosing a car ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers go with your own gut feeling  most modern cars are good

#19 03-08-05 05:21:43

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

i've not run anyone over yet!!!  BUT there is still time.

I've noticed the last week or so, as all the kids are off, and playing in streets as they do, they all seem to stop and stare as we go past, and some even started waving now!!

#20 03-08-05 06:47:22

Mark Goodman
Verified Member
Website

C3 Rear view :- OK without head restraints on the back seats. (Reastraints weren't included as standard when I got the car - a little off having to buy them as extras !!!!)

Most times they're left out, unless there are any rear seat passengers !

#21 03-08-05 13:48:20

Rookie
Website

Yeah i had a good look at one C3, yes rear not too bad but it is a high (ish) sided car body? rear quarter light window get a high vision? why hey don't lower vision in back and side i do not know? maybe SEE-THRO cars are the answer. Use thick plastic glass all over the car?

OR if desperate buy the smallest smart car!

P.S. the four four two 5 door look very nice! as long as fuel ok.

#22 03-11-05 21:29:19

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

I have been looking at a number of cars for use as a tuition vehicle.  I have narrowed them down now to the Renault Modus.

I like the fact that it is small and easy to manoeuvre and has really good all round vision.  I also like it because it is like Dr Who's TARDIS with stacks of room inside and plenty of headroom.

I would be interested to hear from Instructors presently using the Modus for their opinions on practical use.

Many Thanks....Ian

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

#23 03-11-05 22:12:52

hodges21
Verified Member
Website

hi there, i currently teach in a mini, which i love to bits.

my dads had a modus for his own car for about a year now, and ive drove it a few times. it really is very nice to drive, and i would say easier than the mini to be honest, the steering and clutch are very light.

im not sure if i would pick one for an instructor car though, i know its not that big, but when your driving it - it does feel like your in something quite large, and it could be difficult for a new driver to get the feeling of where the car starts and stops (seeing where the front and back ends are i mean), from taking to my own pupils, i do get the feeling that the vast number of them, like a car that looks small and easy to drive.

but like i say, they are nice to drive and look good too.

#24 04-11-05 18:21:34

sw
Verified Member

Whilst i'm not an ADI yet and have no particular views on training cars as yet, I did read somewhere recently that even basic mechancial things like changing blown front or rear bulbs on a Modus need a visit to a Renault dealer. Could be a bit of a pain if having to go to a garage everytime just for that. Very nice looking car though.

Stuart

#25 18-06-06 14:25:43

jonks

Renault Modus

If you use, or have used this kind of car for driving instruction, please tell us what you think of it as training car.

Board footer