You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 21-02-05 20:57:31

dashdriving.com
Website

What is 'double declutching' and how is it used?

Hi all,

Just another quickie. I know that we've all heard of double declutching, but people seem to have very different ideas of what it really means and just how it's done.

So, my questions, should you chose to answer them, are:

What is double de clutching and how do you do it?
What happens in the engine and gearbox?
Why do we use it and in what cirumstances?
What benefit does double declutching have for your driving?

I'd be very grateful for your answers, we can learn a lot from each other.

regards

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

21-02-05 20:57:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What is 'double declutching' and how is it used?

#2 22-02-05 10:15:38

simonjones

#3 22-02-05 10:56:58

Graham

Ok, I'll go first!! wink

The link above is good, apart from the 'blipping' of the throttle. The right foot should remain on the gas and maintain the revs of the engine. The reason for is linked to the second question.

The engine revs remain almost constant. The gearbox lay shafts will slow when you operate the clutch pedal. They will only start up again when you engage gear or raise the clutch pedal. Hence there will be inertia to overcome when changing gear normally. The double d/c routine will keep the gearbox 'bits' all spinning nicely and therefore the gear change will be unbelievably smooth! You really do have to experience it to understand what I'm on about.

We use it to give less wear and tear on the vehicle and also for greater passenger comfort. See if they notice when you change gear if they have their eyes closed! In particular, we use it to maintain the balance of the car when travelling at high speed. For instance, when we can see an overtake is on and we take a lower gear to maintain progress without slowing down.

The benefits are all of the above!

It's important to remember that it's only performed when changing down through the box, not up.

The sustained revs gearchange is where you just maintain the revs of the engine, the left foot does exactly the same as it would during a normal change.

So there it is. At 12 years old, I remember getting first gear on my Dad's Ford Popular whilst on the move. No synchro then! I smiled then and I still do now when I get it right.

#4 22-02-05 18:49:37

ExAdiNigel

OK, so is there still any advantage at all in double de-clutching over sustained gear changing?  If done correctly sustained can be just as smooth as ddc.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 22-02-05 20:52:48

Graham

Well, Dave didn't actually ask that question, so I didn't offer any thoughts. I suppose the answer is no, there aren't any real advantages over sustained revs changes. Just slightly kinder to the metal.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 23-02-05 07:16:14

ExAdiNigel

Graham wrote:

Well, Dave didn't actually ask that question, so I didn't offer any thoughts. I suppose the answer is no, there aren't any real advantages over sustained revs changes. Just slightly kinder to the metal.

In what way?

Nigel

#7 23-02-05 18:57:05

Graham

Couple of ways that I can think of although there may be more.

The engine is being kept at a constant speed throughout the change, therefore not slowing down and speeding up, which will help wear and tear as well being more economical on fuel. If you do a normal change, the gearbox has to generate the power (from the road wheels) to get the engine back up to speed.

The other, more subtle way is by keeping the gearbox inards spinning and not having to keep changing up and down. I think this would be much more subjective though.

!!!!!!!! hell, getting a bit techie aren't we? Can't we go back to advanced courses and pedestrians? wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 23-02-05 21:10:17

ExAdiNigel

Graham wrote:

The engine is being kept at a constant speed throughout the change, therefore not slowing down and speeding up, which will help wear and tear as well being more economical on fuel. If you do a normal change, the gearbox has to generate the power (from the road wheels) to get the engine back up to speed....

But surely the engine is being kept at a constant speed with a sustained gear change isn't it?  Probably more so that with a double de-clutch.

Nigel

#9 23-02-05 21:18:19

Graham

I knew I was setting myself up!

The advantages I gave are mainly over a normal change. The differences are small and are not worth using any more typewriter ink.

As I said, the differences can only be felt on the move.

#10 24-02-05 05:13:36

ExAdiNigel

I appreciate the differences between ddc and normal gear change, I was wondering if there was any benefit in ddc over sustained.  At the moment I cannot see any, so the only reason, I can see, for anyone to stick to ddc would be habit.  Which is not a good reason to stick to anything!

Nigel

#11 24-02-05 14:40:55

Stephen7738

In my 15yrs + police service I have never once been shown whilst driving a car the art of or advantage of DDC,the only time we get shown or have to do it is when we go back to refresh our LGV licence this of course part of the refresher the gear changing excercise which incidently thay are old Leyland roadtrain artics so DDC is essential,so other than this I cant see the advantage for police driving schools to be teaching DDC i do accept that a familiarisation on this subject would be beneficial but no more than that,just my opinion.
                                 Stephen

#12 26-02-05 20:08:10

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Whether using DDC or the sustained revs system, the revs are bound to increase when the clutch goes down due to the fact that you have removed the load on the engine, you need this increase in revs if you want to maintain your speed in the lower gear, as lower gear+same revs=lower speed.

Board footer