You are not logged in.

#1 19-02-08 23:58:12

Jakey
Verified Member

Cat D upgrade to manual

Hi everyone

I am thinking of upgrading my PCV Auto licence to a manual for coach work.

I've had my PCV for 6 years so have done the PCV theory, will i need to retake the theory before taking the manual test.

Anyone know the cost of the Practical test.

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

19-02-08 23:58:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Cat D upgrade to manual

#2 20-02-08 02:07:21

john55
Verified Member

have you thought about going for the LGV 'C' (rigid) licence. if you pass that test your auto PCV licence automatically gets upgraded to manual. kill two birds with one stone kinda thing.

sorry can't answer your other questions.

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#3 20-02-08 07:51:51

FRANKS
Verified Member

If you did the HPT with your theory I'd say no,

I'm not sure about getting you PCV entittlement from doing LGV (C) test. I'd check that out if I were you.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 21-02-08 17:13:25

bandb666
Verified Member

I would say no to another theory - there isn't a seperate theory for manual/auto so it would be same test you've already done, however if you do L.G.V 'C' that would be another theory but not completely sure it would automatically upgrade your bus to manual - as has been said need to check it out.

32228867b788f001d0578227977f51516cfb185f8a8b5a90a373e985.jpg

#5 25-02-08 23:28:23

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

No theory test required for auto to manual upgrade.  You just need to make sure when you book your practical test with DSA that they know its just an upgrade.

The practical test cost is £89 for weekday tests and I think it's £30 more for Saturday tests.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

#6 20-03-08 13:48:53

Jakey
Verified Member

Thanx for the replies.

I have another question.

I have had some training with a local HGV/PCV Driving School, they have been around for the last 25 years, the instructor tells me I should allways signal when the road is clear before moving off.

Now as a driving instructor myself, I would not teach to allways signal when moving off or stopping unless it would benefit someone and have never had a DE on test mark anyone down for it. The highway code says signal when necessary, in other words signal if it will benefit another road user, as there is no-one around why bother.
They also tell me to allways signal to pass parked vehicles, this can be misleading to other road users if there is a right turn ahead, this actually happened yesterday, an oncoming car stopped to let me turn right and made a hand jesture when he realised I was not turning right.

Is the driving school talking BOLLO@?S

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 20-03-08 17:37:26

bandb666
Verified Member

Is the driving school talking BOLLO@?S

I would say yes - as a car/LGV Instructor I teach signal when necessary & certainly not to pass parked vehicles when there is a road/entrance to the right that could be missleading - our local examiners are very strict on that.

32228867b788f001d0578227977f51516cfb185f8a8b5a90a373e985.jpg

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 20-03-08 21:39:22

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

the instructor tells me I should allways signal when the road is clear before moving off.

They also tell me to allways signal to pass parked vehicles,

Re signal for moving off.  Are you 100% certain there is no one there to benefit when moving off in a large vehicle and therefore not giving a signal.  I tend to teach to signal every time, as can never be 100% certain there is not a cycle etc behind you in the blind spot.

Re the overtaking parked vehicles.  Again I would tend to teach to signal on many more occasions than I would do in a car.  But being careful to avoid signalling on those occasions where it could confuse.    Again do you know for certain that nothing is behind you.  I have never had anyone penalised on DSA bus tests for signalling when no one will benefit.  So I think it's safer to signal on many occasions where I would not expect a car driver to do so.  One rule of thumb that I use is if you can move out early and are not crossing the centre line, generally don't signal.

Hope thats some help.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

Board footer