You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 15-02-08 09:57:30

Target
Verified Member
Website

Instructor Insurance

Note: Please try not to turn this into a. I use this insurance and I pay this amount. Problem is we are all different and the factors involved in quotes will change between one to the other.

Has anyone had a FAULT accident and lost thier NCD....When I started as an Adi I got a couple of insurance quotes for a Ford Fiesta. The quotes were from two of the main players in the business. £1200/£900 respectfully.

Glad I went with the AA to start with. :cry:

Over the last 2 years Ive had a Renault Contract which included insurance which was a good offer because it kepted the cost of the insurance down within the contract hire. Now I have to get my own insurance.

With a claim going through the insurance the insurance company have quoted me a much higher figure than those above. Basically on the basis of loosing my NCD. Seems that Cardington/Diamond/IAMs makes no difference.

As far as I understand my claim has been accepted but the Car Hire is being questioned. The cost of 2 weeks was about £700. It seems im better off paying that £700 and bringing the quote down by £800 if I keep my NCD.

This has got me very worried for the future as if I have a fault accident, my insurance is going to jump very high.

At the time the car was drivable. I could have taken 2 weeks holiday got the work done and stayed at home. Now I may need to pay the £700 and the lose in NCD which is about another £800.

Think ill call the insurance now see whats happening. :evil: :cry:

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

15-02-08 09:57:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Instructor Insurance

#2 16-02-08 08:25:45

adi
Verified Member
Website

Do what ever you can to keep the NCD, once you get to 5 years (or whatever your ins comp defines as full discount) take protected no claims, then you can relax!
I had a guy hit the front of my car on a country lane in my first year, hardly any damage, i wasn't that fussed as i had stopped safely and he was sliding on ice at slow speed and hit my car, not my fault i thought. That was until i had a letter from a solicitor stating that he said he had stopped and i drove at speed into him!!!!!
The claim went on and on as it was argued and in the end i had to accept 50/50. My policy more than doubled and took 5 years to bring right back down. All in all that incident cost me insurance wise about £1800 over the 5 years i was paying to get my NCD back to full no claims. I would have been better off paying cash to fix my headlight and the other guy a new wing (which would probably have cost me 50p for the heap that he was driving!).
I would totally recommend anyone to carry a camera to take pictures of the scene, once reaching full NCD pay for protected NCD, and take a GAP Policy (BRAND NEW CARS) out to cover the difference in what an insurance company would pay out for a total loss and for what it would ACTUALLY cost to replace your car, you might be surprised what the shortfall might be without this.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 21-02-08 21:35:21

Leprechaun

d take a GAP Policy (BRAND NEW CARS) out to cover the difference in what an insurance company would pay out for a total loss and for what it would ACTUALLY cost to replace your car, you might be surprised what the shortfall might be without this.

One little point - you can get GAP on used cars too - i've just bought it for a 4 year old car, maybe it's not as useful as for brand new but it is still available

#4 21-02-08 22:00:48

Karenadi
Verified Member

My other half had a fault accident last year: no claims protected.  When the renewal quote came through it had been increased by £250 on last years price.  Seems that even if you protect your no claims it doeesn't stop them increasing the premium: its the discount you don't loose.  Very crafty way of getting more money if you pay to protect your no claims.  In fact down right underhand if you ask me.

Anyway, a little shopping around more than halved their quote, despite the little argument with a post on a car park.

Don't know if this is helpful: but it's a point worth bearing in mind for those protecting their NCD.

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#5 21-02-08 22:06:21

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

GAP cover?

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#6 21-02-08 22:13:04

Karenadi
Verified Member

It covers the bit in between the price you paid and the price that the insurance think your car is worth.  The insurance only have to pay out what they think it was worth in the event of a total write off or theft.

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#7 21-02-08 22:52:55

Luchell
Verified Member

I'm pretty sure you cannot get gap cover on an instructor vehicle, i would have had it free except im an adi. I had read before about this that it changed a few years back. Could be wrong will try and get info. I asked suzuki to specifically check with me sat there and it wasa nope sorry you're not elegible. Its great for private cars though.

#8 21-02-08 22:56:04

Luchell
Verified Member

Not much time to browse but read this, i wonder if i was lied to!  yikes I do remember quite a few bringing it up. I'm sure someone must have come across whether gap cover is any good to them as an instructor since i read/heard about it?

Portwood are providers of GAP insurance for new and used cars bought outright, on Finance or on Lease. GAP insurance for vans and commercial vehicles.  GAP policies are available for driving school tuition use and taxis (other than Lease vehicles). For companies, lease GAP insurance to cover fleets on lease hire (an annual declaration is made).

thats from this site

http://www.portwood.co.uk/GAP_insurance.htm

#9 21-02-08 22:58:34

Luchell
Verified Member

Hummmmm

The following makes of vehicle are excluded: Aston Martin, Bentley, Bristol, Cosworth, De Tomaso, Dorchester, Ferrari, Ginetta, Lamborghini, Lancia Thema, Maserati, Rolls Royce, Kit Cars, Lotus, Nissan Skyline, Subaru SVX/Impreza WRX, STi, Grey Import, any left hand drive vehicle, and any American make of vehicle unless manufactured as right hand drive. The policy also excludes any emergency vehicle, taxi, bus, truck, HGV, motorcycle, invalid carrier, vehicles used for the purpose of driving schools, or any vehicle not mentioned in Glass's Guide.

The above says tuition vehicles not covered  neutral

From this gap insurance site  neutral

http://www.gap-insurance-online.co.uk/faq.php#fifteen

#10 21-02-08 23:21:46

Lynne
Verified Member

I have GAP Invoice cover on my Focus.  It covers not only the difference between market value and cost to clear the finance but also gives me a deposit to re-finance a car.

Ford arranged it..off the top of my head I think it's with Zurich but without looking it up can't remember.  It cost around £360 paid over 12 months over the first year I had the car and lasts for 3 years, by which time I'll turn the car in anyway.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 22-02-08 08:32:50

adi
Verified Member
Website

adi wrote:

d take a GAP Policy (BRAND NEW CARS) out to cover the difference in what an insurance company would pay out for a total loss and for what it would ACTUALLY cost to replace your car, you might be surprised what the shortfall might be without this.

One little point - you can get GAP on used cars too - i've just bought it for a 4 year old car, maybe it's not as useful as for brand new but it is still available

Yes that's right, i put brand new as it's mainly brand new off the forecourt buyers that would most likely feel the pinch if they didn't have GAP. :afro:

I'm pretty sure you cannot get gap cover on an instructor vehicle, i would have had it free except im an adi. I had read before about this that it changed a few years back. Could be wrong will try and get info. I asked suzuki to specifically check with me sat there and it wasa nope sorry you're not elegible. Its great for private cars though.

When i bought my vauxhall they said i couldn't take the GAP insurance with them either (driving school car), my ADI insurance brokers didn't do it either, but i found a Driving School insurers in Cornwall that specialise in ADI GAP policies, off the top of my head it cost about £150 ish quid for the cover. Well worth it for peace of mind.

#12 22-02-08 19:48:08

kevdyas
Verified Member
Website

Some driving school insurance policies will give you a brand new car in the event it is written off in the first year (must have had it from brand new and be the only owner (no pre-reg I guess)).

Kev.

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Drive iQ Pro Coach
IAM Senior Observer/DIAmond Advanced Motorist/RoSPA - Gold
www.wheelsbydrivingschool.com

Board footer