You are not logged in.

#1 22-02-08 08:24:04

Jimothy
Verified Member

ROSPA (not very) Local Groups

I have finally decided that this year is going to be the year that I take the ROSPA test. I met a nice young lady at the DSA conference on Tuesday who gave me some information about it all. Can you see the "but" coming?

I live in South Cheshire and the nearest local groups are not very local. Shropshire is probably the nearest so I am going to ring the group representative when I get an opportunity. But in the meantime I was wondering if any ROSPA members here know if there are any tutors (is that the correct terminology?) closer to Crewe?

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor
Driving Standards Agency Registered Fleet Driver Trainer
ORDIT registered instructor trainer
Accredited BTEC Trainer (Driving Science)
IAM Registered Instructor
IAM Observer

22-02-08 08:24:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ROSPA (not very) Local Groups

#2 22-02-08 10:42:38

ExAdiNigel

Where do the Shropshire members meet?  The Manchester group appears to meet in Stockport (about 35 miles from Crewe) according to the website.

Failing that, look to see if there is an IAM group closer & more convenient?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 22-02-08 10:47:59

Jimothy
Verified Member

Nigel, inteesting that you mention the local IAM group. I am already a member there and as soon as time permits I am going to become an observer for my local IAM group. I took the IAM test last year after, I think, two observed drives during which I learnt very little from my observer. I was, in fact, quite disappointed that the IAM test was less testing, in my opinion, than the ADI part 2 test (at which I attained 1 driving fault). Those who have done IAM and ROSPA tell me that ROSPA is a much more demanding test - hence my intention to take the test. I have been considering just going off and doing the ROSPA test and see what happens, but by nature I am averse to risking failure hence my wish to get with a local group.

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor
Driving Standards Agency Registered Fleet Driver Trainer
ORDIT registered instructor trainer
Accredited BTEC Trainer (Driving Science)
IAM Registered Instructor
IAM Observer

#4 22-02-08 16:11:29

ExAdiNigel

In many places, you have a choice of IAM or RoSPA.  Not very often do you find they are BOTH active in a particular area.  Have you spoken with your colleagues at the IAM meetings to see if any of them belong to a RoSPA group too?

Good Luck

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 22-02-08 18:53:54

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi jimothy
As you are already an advanced driver I would be tempted to just study the new Roadcraft and go and do a test intending to use the debrief as a learning process.
I did this for my first RoADAr and ended up with a Gold and I hadn't even done IAM previously.

They would probably meet you, for a test, nearer to your home than the groups meet.

I am seriously considering trying my 3rd test in an area I don't know in order to avoid the local knowledge advantage, but that is just me being paranoid as to whether I could do it and wanting to prove myself.
I might do the Minibus/PCV one local and then do the car away from home.

Board footer