You are not logged in.

#1 19-02-08 15:36:15

jlc025

Started learning in October...and hate it :(

Hi there, newbie here - apologies in advance, I know there are probably a lot of posts like this but I can't see any recent ones - plus thought it polite to introduce myself!

I'm 22 and started learning in September/October last year when I was 21. I'm in no rush to learn to drive, but would like to have learned and passed my test by June 2009, as I will be doing my probationary year of teaching and could be anywhere in Scotland. The driving lessons were a graduation present from a relative.

I don't really need to learn to drive, so my motivation is basically just imagining the freedom of driving, because it would be quite nice. But driving isn't high on my priority list, so I am feeling resentful for all the pressure I feel. MY DI is pretty good, he is with the AA though so is very busy, but he is very patient, only thing is I feel silly for asking repeatedly how the clutch works, or how to use the clutch when braking etc...

I'm really quite terrible with all things mechanical and hand/eye co-ordination, plus I'm a pretty nervous person. I've not had a lesson since just before Xmas, due mostly to my family being ill and my DI's family being ill too, but have a 2 hour lesson this coming Thursday and to put it mildly, I am CR@PPING myself!! I usually get butterflies before one hour lessons even when I had one the week before sad

I'm so scared I'll have forgotten everything, especially as no one has taken me out since before Xmas for a lesson...Any suggestions? And please....does anyone else feel the same way??

19-02-08 15:36:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Started learning in October...and hate it :(

#2 19-02-08 18:32:54

ExAdiNigel

Nearly everyone will have similar feelings at some time.  May not be about driving lessons, could be about almost anything.

You say your instructor is pretty good, so why feel embarrassed if you have to ask a question for the umpteenth time?  You're training to be a teacher, how would you feel if one of your pupils had trouble picking something up?  Would you become fed up with them?  Or would you like to think you would calmly explain the subject again and again and again..........?  Your instructor will explain something as many times as is needed.

Another thing.  If you really have no need (or desire) to drive at the moment, why not shelve the driving until you feel you want to do it?  If your heart really isn't in it, the money may be better kept until you feel your are ready to learn.

Whichever way you go, let us know how you're getting on.

Good Luck

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 19-02-08 18:41:27

Karenadi
Verified Member

I'd agree with Nigel totally: however, another thought could be: although your instructor is very good, sometimes a different emphasis can be given by a different instructor.  It often happens that people try out two or three different instructors before settling.

Also, you say that you find the mechanical side an issue.  If driving isn't such a big deal, and is simply a case of providing you with freedom why don't you try an automatic?  So easy to drive.  It may make life more bearable for you.

Just a thought.

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#4 20-02-08 11:12:46

iwanadrive

Hiya and welcome.  Sorry to hear your not enjoying driving, my advice would be to not learn to drive unless you actually want to.  I spent almost two years learning on and off because i wasn't really interesting in learning to drive but just felt the pressure from others and it was what i was meant to do.  It's only the past years where i've really got into my driving and in some ways wish i had waited because i've wasted a lot of money through it.

However regarding nerves, you haven't had that many lessons so its completely natural to feel nervous, iv'e had around 100 lessons and often feel nervous before going out driving.  Driving can be such an unnatural thing, especially if your the kind of person who isn't practically minded.  I found it took a while to get my head around, yet you give me some theory and i can do it no problems.

I would see how the lesson goes and then make up your mind, but it should be based on how you think and feel about it.  You'll probably be pleasantly surprised by how much you do remember.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 20-02-08 12:05:13

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I fully support adiNigel & Karenadi's posts (I was going to suggest auto too but Karen got in before me).

..Driving can be such an unnatural thing, especially if your the kind of person who isn't practically minded...

Good point - a lot of learners are discouraged by their lack of progress thinking their is something "specially wrong" with themselves.
Everyone has talents in certain areas. If your list of personal talents doesn't include being car-savvy, don't despair - large numbers of learner drivers reach their goal through perseverance.

You say you are thinking of the freedom - focus on this instead.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#6 20-02-08 22:01:36

wolfchild08

Hi Jlc,
Ask yourself deep down if this is what you really want to do, because if you want to do it and want to feel more confident then you really need to put the work in.  I have had roughly 35 hours of driving since the end of July 07, it has been hard work and when I started I absoloutely hated every minute of it.  I had no confidance whatsoever and like yourself im not very interested or good with things mechanical.  But I have stuck at it and working dam hard to get through it and if you want to do it then that is the only way im afraid.  Your heart really needs to be in it and you have to attempt to have an interest in what your doing.  I am now at the stage where I really enjoy my lessons and cant wait for each one to arrive. I do still get nervous at some junctions but my confidance improves with solid practice! its the only way.  The only advice I can suggest when you go back to your lessons is take on board everything your instructer says and practice practice practice everything he shows you until your perfect and feel more confident with what your doing.  Gradualley other time it will get easier.  If your prepared to put the work and time in you may find you really enjoy it.  I wish you the very best of luck!

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#7 21-02-08 09:55:23

jlc025

Hi all, thanks for the very different and helpful replies!

I think I am going to see how the lesson tonight goes - any tips for telling my instructor...'i'm nervous and want to build up my confidence slowly!' besides actually coming out and saying that?! He usually makes me drive from my house to the learning area we use, but I don't know if I will even be able to do that tonight, as it is a pretty busy road.

I think learning to drive automatic may be an option...is this a common thing, and would it mean I would be able to learn to drive non-automatic possible when my confidence has built up. Some of you have hit it on the head when you say to get the most out of it, my heart has to be in it, so I'm not sure if it is futile to bother just now, not to mention a waste of money. I am moving back with my mum and dad in Aug where I'll be able to get a lot of practice in. Have a few hours to use with my instructor, so will have the 2 hours tonight and another 2 hour lesson next week and see how I feel...I guess if I'm not actually learning much then there's not a lot of point wasting effort and money until I am ready and focussed enough.

#8 21-02-08 10:43:05

AndyBerry

As others have said above, it could just be that you don't get on with that specific instructor well enough. Think about your pupils when your a teacher, you'll find that some react better to your style of teaching than others. That's human personality for you!
I'm sure the others on here will agree with me here, everyone learns at a totally different rate. Your instructor must feel you've progressed well if you need to drive down a busy road to get to your normal training area.
Have a chat with him on tonight's lesson, tell him you don't feel comfortable with driving down that road today. He then has 2 options really, either drive to the training area himself, or use a different level of instruction - obviously, I can't comment on what level he uses now, but if you've been progressing, he may revert back to talking you through things to get you down that road?
Confidence is the main thing, I've found, that makes people learn at a different rate. Explain to him that you are not feeling confident at all and hopefully he'll be able to work on that with you as well as you go along!

Don't give up before you go out tonight. As you said, you've got a couple more hours with him next week. Go out there on your lesson tonight and give it your absolute best, 200% effort, and have a chat with him about how you feel.

Best of luck!
Andy

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 21-02-08 11:06:01

ExAdiNigel

....I think learning to drive automatic may be an option...is this a common thing, and would it mean I would be able to learn to drive non-automatic possible when my confidence has built up.....

Absolutely, in fact there are some instructors that will start a pupil off in auto and then move onto a manual later on.  I seem to remember someone on here do just that.  Was it John Brown?  Haven't seen him on here for quite a while though and I don't think he was in your area anyway.

Good Luck

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#10 21-02-08 11:59:30

jlc025

This is true Andy, I'll go out tonight and do my absolute best and be frank about how I feel about it all. Seeing as I'm moving away from the area I'll need to get a new driving instructor anyway, so when my last hours are used I may go back to practicing when I can before learning properly when I move home...

#11 22-02-08 00:17:04

AndyBerry

So how did the lesson go? Did you explain how you felt to him??

#12 22-02-08 09:38:19

jlc025

Hi all! Had lesson last night, and...it went much, much better than I thought! I did stall about 8 times, and panicked when there were other cars, but he said my clutch control is fantastic and I'm doing great when I'm relaxed when there's no other cars.

Going home this weekend to get some practice in, but I've decided to stick at it, and I've got a lesson next Wednesday too. I did find I got a lot more out of a 2 hour lesson than a 1 hour, so I might make next Wednesday's lesson a 2 hour as well.

I think in my head it had became a huge obstacle, but when I got back in the driver's seat, it all came back to me.

Planning on booking my theory test next week for the end of April - can anyone advise if I'll need the paper counterpart to my provisional for this?

Thanks all of you, I'm going to stick with manual and persevere smile

#13 22-02-08 14:08:02

AndyBerry

Hi all! Had lesson last night, and...it went much, much better than I thought! I did stall about 8 times, and panicked when there were other cars, but he said my clutch control is fantastic and I'm doing great when I'm relaxed when there's no other cars.
Good to hear!
Going home this weekend to get some practice in, but I've decided to stick at it, and I've got a lesson next Wednesday too. I did find I got a lot more out of a 2 hour lesson than a 1 hour, so I might make next Wednesday's lesson a 2 hour as well.
This is why I usually recommend a 2 hour lesson to people if they can afford to do it
I think in my head it had became a huge obstacle, but when I got back in the driver's seat, it all came back to me.
We're our own worst enemies at times big_smile
Planning on booking my theory test next week for the end of April - can anyone advise if I'll need the paper counterpart to my provisional for this?
Yes, you will need the counterpart if you have a photocard. See here for more details on documents http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le … DG_4022482
Thanks all of you, I'm going to stick with manual and persevere smile

Good luck in future! Keep us updated with your progress

Andy

Board footer