You are not logged in.

#1 03-02-08 15:16:09

wolfchild08

Is this normal?

I have had roughly 30 hours of driving lessons since July and I am still having problems with the following.  I feel like I should be able to do these things by now and that its taking me forever.  Can anyone else relate to this and feel my frustration? is this normal after 30 lessons?

1. Approaching busy roundabouts :

Whenever I approach a big roundabout and it is busy, I tend to panic and lose track of what I am doing.  Simple things like changing down a gear, slowing down and assessing if its safe to keep going really throws me at times.  I find that all though they are very simple things when in stressful situations it seems like I'm having to do so many things and my head just feels like its going to explode.  I worry that there are cars behind me with impatient drivers waiting for me and expecting me to act quickly.  This puts more pressure on me as I was pipped by a driver for stalling at a roundabout after releasing the handbrake once.

2. Starting uphill :

There are occasions where I have had to stop uphill in traffic and obviously had to use my handbrake.  When it comes to starting up again it seems in stressful situations like traffic I keep stalling before moving off or I haven't kept the clutch at the bite point.

3 Three point turn :

I occasionalley hit the curb and don't give enough steering or have problems with clutch control and keeping dead slow.

4. Judgement :

During busy periods I struggle to judge when it is safe to go when either turning right at a t junction or entering a roundabout.  I also have problems judging how much room I have and if there is enough room for another car to pass me at the same time when there are parked cars - My instructor says I have stopped when I didn't need to!

Bare in mind that other than that, I have no problems what so ever.  Any advice that could help me would be greatly appreciated.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

03-02-08 15:16:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Is this normal?

#2 03-02-08 16:59:00

bay

I have been learning since March 07 and still have a few problems.

My previous instructor has gone to teach in Tunbridge Wells so finding another has been difficult.

Hills are still a problem eg stopping, starting, waiting on bite and I do stall sometimes.
Roundabouts are a nightmare but I kept being told look for blockers which I am doing now.

Good luck you will be ok, it just takes some people longer than others

5th Test Passed 22/04/08

#3 03-02-08 17:31:14

VandADI
Administrator

Hi wolfchild08,

Firstly, in the scheme of things 30 hours isn't much really, when you are learning a skill for life so don't feel pressurised into feeling you should be able to do it all by now.  We all learn differently and you need to learn at your own pace making sure you have the basic skills in place before attempting to go onto the more challenging aspects of driving.

With regards to approaching roundabouts, busy or otherwise.  Remember your MSPS(G)L routine, if you can instill this on every approach you make, it will make life much easier for you. Getting your  Speed down on the approach will give you time to work out if its safe to go or not, hence choosing correct gear, if you arrive too fast, it will all go wrong and this is maybe where you are experiencing difficulties.  Do not worry about what cars are doing behind you, just concentrate on what YOU are doing, if you can get the MSPSL routine going early enough there should be no need to worry about what is going on behind, focus on what is happening ahead.

With regards to uphill starts - If you have to stop on a hill, then apply the handbrake, set gas to higher than usual then find the biting point.   If you need to creep forward,  smoothly release the handbrake and adjust the clutch enough to hold the car still then raise the clutch up about a thickness of a pound coin to control the creep remembering to fully release the handbrake as you emerge.

With regards to Turn in Road - Remember the three key elements, Control, Observation and accuarcy, using the same control with the clutch you use for creeping out of junctions but remember once biting point is found to hold left foot still.  This slow speed will give you time to carry out effective observations whilst steering briskly across road.  The difficult part of this manoeuvre is keeping car slow and trying to steer quickly, the tendency is to either move car quick and steer quickly or move car slowly and steer slowly but with plenty of practice you can master this technique with ease.  Also look where you steer, this will help you with where the kerb is at each part of the manoeuvre.

Judgement on emerging whether at roundabouts or from junctions, look for gaps rather than blockers, if you can emerge briskly by using the quick acceleration technique you will not fear stalling and feel more confident when it comes to assessing the right time to pull out.

Hope this helps.

#4 04-02-08 21:57:24

iwanadrive

If it makes you feel any better, i still do a lot of these and i've had nearly 100 lessons.  Does improve over time, but i'm terrible for panicking in busy situations, especially busy roundabouts.  It does get easier with time, i think you've just got to accept that it does take time and not put so much pressure on yourself to get everything right just yet, because 30 lessons isn't that many.

#5 20-02-08 22:11:19

wolfchild08

Pleased to say that since my instructer has arrived back from his holiday, I have had another 3 hours of driving lessons and pretty much mastered all of these things now  big_smile
My confidance is constantly growing and im starting to feel alot more positive about my lessons.  In my lesson today I didnt make any mistakes at all  big_smile

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#6 21-02-08 11:09:15

jackie99100

I have had the same problems as you, i have had 19 lessons but after a break of 8 weeks i came back with a lot more confidence and that has made a big difference i am not nervous anymore but i have still got lots to learn,It is harder though when you are not getting any private practice (i don't have any) Try not to pannick just think to youself if i do anything wrong then your instructor has control of the car too and the more i thought about that the easer it is for me too get on with things just take your time when you are approaching roundabouts and starting uphill sod everyone behind you if you stall (your learning to drive you have as much right as them to be on the road) Try it i bet you will feel alot better. tongue

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts

Board footer