You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 21-02-05 21:01:45

dashdriving.com
Website

What's the difference in style between ROSPA and IAM?

Hello sports fans,

Here's another that alway's catches my interest . . .

What are the main differences in driving style between ROSPA and the IAM?

There must be some quite major differences in style, otherwise the two may have just merged into one big advanced driving organisation.

Why hasn't that happened?

regards

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

21-02-05 21:01:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What's the difference in style between ROSPA and IAM?

#2 21-02-05 21:26:13

ExAdiNigel

Not really aware of any real differences in style.

IAM make more effort to get themselves into the media than do RoADA/ RoSPA.

RoADA have 3 grades for the test the IAM only pass/fail.  Though the IAM do do a Special test.  (Anyone done this?)

RoADA you have to retake the test every 3 years.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 21-02-05 22:20:56

Gizmotime
Administrator

adiNigel wrote:

Though the IAM do do a Special test.  (Anyone done this?)
Nigel

Would you mind elaborating on this please Nigel :?:  I may be able to answer then wink

#4 22-02-05 06:16:00

ExAdiNigel

Elaborate?  How?  The IAM, as well as the standard test, do a Special Assessment see here...

http://www.iam.org.uk/Advancedtest/spec … ssment.php

Nigel

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 22-02-05 06:40:15

Gizmotime
Administrator

adiNigel wrote:

Elaborate?  How?  The IAM, as well as the standard test, do a Special Assessment see here...

http://www.iam.org.uk/Advancedtest/spec … ssment.php

Nigel

Well you didn't say that did you :?: you said " a special test" there is a difference wink  I new about that.

#6 22-02-05 19:52:06

ADI349
Verified Member

This is from the RoSPA test guidelines for motorcylces, I believe that the car guidelines contain the same paragraph.  When you are riding round bends and corners, and not overtaking, you should not cross marked white lines and you should not cut corners when entering marked junctions.  RoADA beleives that to do so is potentially dangerous.  Such actions may be the result of entering the hazard too fast and may confuse oncoming and following traffic.  This view is supported by the Highway code.  If anything untoward happened during such a manoeuver the rider might be seen to be at fault and might then blame RoADA for teaching or condoning this action.  If there are no centre markings the some movement over the centre of the road may be acceptable.

I beleive that you will find this to be the biggest difference in the interpretation of roadcraft.  Also IAM use a differnt book ie Pass your advanced driving/motorcytcling test. This is the reference book. RoSPA use direct from roadcraft.

If you only do what you've always done, you will only achieve what you've always achieved

#7 22-02-05 21:52:49

Lynne
Verified Member

ADI349 wrote:

This is from the RoSPA test guidelines for motorcylces, I believe that the car guidelines contain the same paragraph.  When you are riding round bends and corners, and not overtaking, you should not cross marked white lines and you should not cut corners when entering marked junctions.

I'm waiting for my RoSPA test date and was out on a practice run with my Observer today and I clarified this with him as I'd been out with a 2nd Observer a couple of weeks ago, who did this and the situation came up again today:  In order to keep the vehicle stable, I did 'straightline' a bend in a country road when I could see the 'exit' was clear.   There was no problem with me doing this.   I would add there was no one behind me either.

Both of the Observers have just retaken their 3 yearly tests.  Does any RoADA member disagree that this should be done??

Ta!
Lynne

#8 23-02-05 00:30:57

Stephen7738

Lynne,
          As far as I am concerned to cross a whiteline is acceptable, provided you dont committ an offence by doing so,ie solid lines. If you do cross a whiteline and in doing so cause other road users danger or inconvenience then this is another matter.

Acting upon your own observations and information that you have prior to doing so,is basically down to you and common sense. I know for one that the IAM frown upon this style of guidance/teaching so it will usualy be done between associate and observer,so hopefully , the information thatthey have given you has been explained,sufficiently for you or the associate to know when to do and not to do it.

Adi349= Forgive me if I have got your post wrong,but the principles of corners and bends for motorcyclists,are slightly different than that of cars
and surely it must be safer to cross white lines, whilst negotiating a bend hopefully with a view, under normal progrssive driving,than to ovrtake a vehicle or vehicle's on a bend,I know it can be done but you have to know exactly what you are doing.

Did you get this extract from ROSPA web site itself or another source,please can you tell me what a marked white line is,I know what a protected one is.
         Stephen

#9 23-02-05 19:15:42

ADI349
Verified Member

Hi All

I retook my Rospa Test in a car least week and was given a gold.  I am a Police Instructor and the examiner who was with me is a recentley retired Police Instructor.  This topic came up during the drive and and I restated my beleif and understanding as stated in my original post, the examiner agreed with me in the difference between Rospa and IAM on this point.  The paragraph I typed in the origginal post is a direct left from the Test Guidlines I received from Rospa prior to my first test.  I did receive a similar booklet in relation to cars but unfortunatley cannot find in.  I will endevour to do so and will let you know what it say, unless anyone else has a copy.   Stephen.  I am fully aware that there is a differnce between Motorccyling and driving.  I also hold gold in that.  As for the white line I read it as it says ie marked centre line that is a hazard lines or centre of the road marking.

adi349

If you only do what you've always done, you will only achieve what you've always achieved

#10 23-02-05 19:18:10

ADI349
Verified Member

Stephen sorry in my first post it should have said 'marked centre line'

#11 23-02-05 19:32:22

ADI349
Verified Member

Sorry all
I should have done this before I posted the above replies.
The test guidlines for Rospa Motorcycles and cars, can be found on their website.  The car one contains exactly the same paragraph under positioning as I reproduced with the exception that the word ride is replaced by drive and as I say above it refers to marked centre lines.  I was until recently also a senior observer with the IAM.

#12 23-02-05 21:07:54

ExAdiNigel

I have spoken with an ex-police instructor who is involved with both IAM and RoSPA examining.  He says that neither IAM nor RoSPA advocate straightening a bend by crossing the centre line.  It looks as though it depends on who you talk to!

Nigel

#13 24-02-05 09:41:12

Gizmotime
Administrator

We at our group certainly don't advocate straight lining a bend or roundabout or anything else
You move out more to the centre line to give a clearer view but you ceratinly DO NOT cross it.

Board footer