You are not logged in.

#1 02-02-08 14:02:32

iwanadrive

quick parallel park question

Hi all, was just running through this one in my head, as am taking my car out later and may have to do a parallel park.  If when doing the parallel park i end up turning right too late and can either see im going to hit the curb or actually do hit the curb, obviously i need to correct the maneuver.  Am i right in thinking that i should go forward (will be on an angle, so wont hit other car) and then turn the steering wheel to the left in order to take off some of the right steering?

Have just completely forgotten this, i am going to speak to my instructor about parallel park and reverse bay park, as although i get the theory and technique of it, i don't fully understand either of them and how to correct them. 

Thanks in advance.

02-02-08 14:02:32

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: quick parallel park question

#2 02-02-08 14:37:48

Lianne

hay

the way i get taught to do this is

1. go next to car, then go a bit furter 4ward of it
2. reverse back till u no longer c the other car through yr back passanger window, when this happens i steer 1/2 turn to the left
3. once yr side mirror is just level with the back lights, i steer a full turn to the right.
4, then u should go into the space and then u straighten up, when u think u need to doing 1/2 turn to the left again

hope this makes sence and helps
Lianne

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 02-02-08 15:31:29

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Yes iwanadrive-just correct the situation by going back a few steps reverse to what you did in the start and redo the last stage of the manouevre.

Dont do it too many times though.

Ok

Martin

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 02-02-08 15:36:42

VandADI
Administrator

Ok

Martin

You will only be allowed one attempt at a "comfort shunt" on any of the manoeuvres.  Any more than this, and it will not be deemed as accurate resulting in a serious fault.

#5 02-02-08 15:58:51

iwanadrive

Thanks for everyones advice, i am going to practice this one a lot over the next few weeks as i want to get good at it, not just because of the test but because its something i want to do when i'm finally out and about on my own.

I'm not very confident with the parking as it seems to be something i practice very little of, but seeing as the whole process of driving is getting from A to B, i'd better get improving it!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 03-02-08 15:28:23

VandADI
Administrator

hay

the way i get taught to do this is

1. go next to car, then go a bit furter 4ward of it
2. reverse back till u no longer c the other car through yr back passanger window, when this happens i steer 1/2 turn to the left
3. once yr side mirror is just level with the back lights, i steer a full turn to the right.
4, then u should go into the space and then u straighten up, when u think u need to doing 1/2 turn to the left again

hope this makes sence and helps
Lianne

once yr side mirror is just level with the back lights, i steer a full turn to the right

I would be very wary of using a reference point on another vehicle, eg, back lights.  What if the car was facing other way around and all you could see is bonnet?  What if you were asked to parallel park against a large vehicle or indeed a skip? (which is what I get my pupils to do at times)

Try to judge it rather than use fixed points, and if you do use fixed points, make sure they are on your car, not leaving things to chance on the day.

#7 03-02-08 16:57:10

Super Mario

I'm taught pull up close to the vehicle a metre away then reverse back untill I see the end of the vehicle out the back side window at which point I stop and do safety checks.  Then start reversing turning the wheel one full revolution to the left and reverse back till my hands are past the end of the vehicle then stop and do another safety check around me. Then start reversing taking that full revolution back off and reverse back untill the wheel arch is on top of the curb then stop and do your last safety checks then reverse steering to the right untill the wheel is at full lock and you are parallel to the curb then straighten the wheel up and handbrake and neutral.  Job done.

#8 04-02-08 03:02:50

Serpico
Verified Member

captainhook wrote:

Ok

Martin

You will only be allowed one attempt at a "comfort shunt" on any of the manoeuvres.  Any more than this, and it will not be deemed as accurate resulting in a serious fault.

I've seen plenty of people take a couple of shunts to correct and still pass their test. An examiner told me he/they allowed two adjustments before marking down.

#9 09-02-08 22:30:39

wolfchild08

Im about 99% on this one now.  The way my instructer has taught me to do it:

1. Pull up next to the vehicle (a metre away).
2. Make sure the vehicle is straight, add a touch or left and right steer if required.
3. Reverse, dead dead slow (his words) until you reach the end of the car.
4. As soon as you reach the end of the car, one left steer then wait until your facing two o clock then one right steer.
5. From this point, very very slow checking how far from the curb you are.  Then when required steer right, give as much right steer as you need.
6. Finalley, when the car is parallel one big left steer then stop.

Hope this helps.  Its difficult putting it into words but I hope this will come of some use to you  big_smile

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#10 09-02-08 23:50:24

iwanadrive

Have spoken to my instructor since this, explaining how i really want to work on parking and we have begun working on parallel parking and how to correct the maneuver if i make a mistake.  For me, its less about how to do the maneuver in the test and more about how to do it in real life.  where i live its very busy and a nightmare for parking, so having to park close to the curb and do the maneuver effectively is important.

My instructor has begun showing me how he parks, as in leaves off turning right again until he is very close to the curb and then goes forward in order to ensure he is properly in the space.  This is in fact more practical for me, as i am likely to be using this maneuver in tight spaces. 

It's all very well and good being shown how to do it when your only parallel parking around one car, like you would do in the test, but in the real world, your usually parallel parking in between cars, otherwise you'd just drive into them!-The space that is!

Board footer