You are not logged in.

#1 20-01-08 15:26:20

strawberrygiraffe
Verified Member

why do i feel so stressed?

i cannot understand, why as soon as my appointment for my second check test ( first one 3 years ago, grade 4) i went to pieces. i understand the need for check test and feel that the advice will be gratefully received, should i perhaps talk to the SE, about how i feel?i know,but i cant help but feel stressed about the feeling of being judged, i feel i do my job well and assist my pupils in become good safe drivers, but i cannot shake this feeling of dread!!!! why? sorry for the weird post but just needed to get this off my chest.

ooo thats a bit of a worry

20-01-08 15:26:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: why do i feel so stressed?

#2 20-01-08 18:10:20

FRANKS
Verified Member

Don't wory about your post, most of us feel like this when that letter comes through the post.

I'm sure that there are a lot of people out there will give you good advise mine is simple;

Firstly, If you feel that stressed and you know the SE (ADI) that's doing your CT have a word with them, they don't bite.

Secondly, the SE(ADI) is looking for anything special, all they are looking for is what you normally do on a lesson. When you pick your victim (Pupil) for the CT, you do what you were going to do with them in the way you teach from day to day.

I know it's easy for me saying this but try to chill out, just show them what a good DSA ADI you are.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#3 21-01-08 09:35:23

yasmin
Verified Member

Perhaps it's because the job means so much to us that we get worried about the CT. I had mine just before Christmas and worked really hard for a grade 4. However I know what I need to work on and I hope I'll improve. My pups are very complimentary, my trainer said he could see I could teach ok and the recommendations roll in. Must be doing something right and I'm sure it is the same for you! Good luck with it.

#4 21-01-08 16:10:13

learnwithrichard
Verified Member

I don't believe the DSA/SE are out to get you on your checktest. They obviously want to see standards maintained, but my approach to it is that it's an opportunity to gain some pointers. I make this clear to the SE and try to demonstrate my commitment to high standards when we have a chat at the beginning. My view is that if you do this, you're well on your way to a grade 4. Yes, you still have to perform, but it's as much an interview as a test and the right attitude goes a long way. Got mine in a few weeks so if the theory doesn't work in practice I'll let you know!

#5 21-01-08 17:24:56

FRANKS
Verified Member

Sorry learnwithrichard have to disgree with part of your post, it started off good but then the bit about it being like an interview is crap.

All the SE(ADI) wants to see is that your pupil learns something on their lesson and your check test.

Finally, why are you all happy to just get a grade 4, you should be aiming higher.

#6 21-01-08 17:38:08

yasmin
Verified Member

Just to clarify--- I wasn't totally happy with a 4. Relieved I was graded, yes, but I would have liked to do better. I tried hard and planned the lesson as I would any other lesson but on the day it came out as a 4. Room for improvement next time and yes, I am aiming higher.

#7 21-01-08 21:12:29

learnwithrichard
Verified Member

FRANKS - just a 4 certainly wasn't what I was aiming for. The point I was making was that I feel that displaying a good attitude may have a bearing on the result. I didn't intend to suggest that a checktest is an interview; I meant that in an interview displaying good attitude is a factor as well as the ability to do the job.

I am by no means a checktest veteran and experience may well prove my theories wrong. I certainly respect your greater experience in this matter.

My apologies if what I wrote gave anyone the wrong impression of what the checktest is about. FRANKS is absolutely correct when he says that it's about the pupil learning something.

Richard.

#8 22-01-08 16:36:02

FRANKS
Verified Member

Learnwithrichard,

I don't have the checktest form you'll receive from the SE(ADI), but part of the check test is your attitude towards your pupil.

All the best for those of you doing checktest soon, just do what you normally do and try to chill out about it. Look at it as a poitive thing and not a negative.

#9 03-02-08 08:14:12

gs1974

When it comes down to it, you could say that all you need to do is go out and deliver your normal (or best) lesson.

If you do that you can't really complain if it is a 4, because in the CT situation it is pretty hard to pretend to be a 5 or 6. If it were easy then you'd get a 5 or 6, simple as.

Just make sure you have a plan, be prepared to change it partially or completely as necessary, and don't try and prime the pupil - it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Choose a pupil who is going to make a few mistakes (not a complete novice) so you can show your style, and a subject that they are still learning. The SE won't mark you down for the pupil making errors - only if you miss them or deal with them incorrectly.

Make sure you pick up every significant fault, even if it isn't on your lesson plan.

And don't be happy with a grade 4, or even a grade 5 - but keep that private, and work hard to get it higher next time.

Oh. And get some extra tuition if you aren't happy with your grade. It's worth the investment not to have to go through this panic every CT.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#10 03-02-08 09:21:22

LinWebb
Verified Member

When it comes down to it, you could say that all you need to do is go out and deliver your normal (or best) lesson.

And get some extra tuition if you aren't happy with your grade. It's worth the investment not to have to go through this panic every CT.

Its easy for me to say 'just give a normal lesson' when check tests dont phase me at all..... as Ive done a few now and understand what they want.

To ease the panicking, I think you should think of getting advice and help with planning and the like from a local trainer as has been mentioned above. I think it would be money and time well spent.

Best of luck, Lins x

#11 03-02-08 18:17:56

samds
Verified Member
Website

My advice would be to take the pupil who would normally go at the time of the Check Test and do whatever that 'customer' requires at that time, there is no such thing as 'taking the wrong pupil'.  Look at route planning with all your pupils.  If you're delivering a good lesson everytime then what is there to be concerned about.

Take some extra training (CPD) not for the CT but for better all round teaching.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

Board footer