You are not logged in.

#1 12-01-08 18:40:00

premier997bus1fan

Indicating

Hiya

Not to sure what answers i'll get from this.

It so annoys me when ppl dont indicate around islands or at junctions. Why do they do it is sooo annoying. I 9 times out of 10 i can nearly always read ppls minds of what they are going to do.

I always make sure i indicate every time i need to but my habbit i have is that my indicator is that quiet i have trouble sometimes to hear it so it stays on long so i'm not to sure how to cure that. Any suggestions how to remember to knock it off once i've indicated.

Krystle

12-01-08 18:40:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Indicating

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 12-01-08 18:47:57

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Once youve joined your new road, whats the 1st thing you check?  Hoping u say your mirror! When youve done that glance down at the dash board to check speed and if u see either indicator arrow flashing you kno its still on then u can cancel it.
Just an idea, has worked for me  smile

#3 12-01-08 19:05:29

premier997bus1fan

Hiya Thanks for your post.

Yeah definetly the first thing i do when i've indicated i always check my mirrors. I'll remember that technique you told me and see if it works

Thanks

Krystle

#4 12-01-08 19:40:42

Kev D
Verified Member

What is an island???

is that like a roundabout???

:evil:   wink   tongue

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#5 13-01-08 00:01:24

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Binty's idea sounds like a good one.

Hi Kev D, yep just like a roundabout. It's often said that Australia is the world's small continent and the world's largest roundabout.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 13-01-08 09:28:39

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi Zip

the world's largest roundabout.

Brilliant, sail round the south of it and you are in the Southern Ocean with all its perils, sail round the North of it and you have to run the gauntlet of Pirate Alley. 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 13-01-08 10:28:49

Karenadi
Verified Member

Yeah definetly the first thing i do when i've indicated i always check my mirrors.
Thanks
Krystle

LOL: I hope you  check those mirrors before you indicate as you were taught young lady!

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#8 13-01-08 12:34:49

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Once youve joined your new road, whats the 1st thing you check?

Hope ive not confuddled u  tongue im on about after youve turned, should jolly well hope the MSM is beforehand  tongue or u will be in trouble with Karen!  lol

#9 13-01-08 13:31:00

Dimmy

1.Turn the !!!!!!!! radio down, you might hear the turn signal ticking then  :evil:

2.Do you look at speedo to check your speed in the new road? If so, look for the turn signal warning lamp flashing smile

3.As you finish straightening the steering wheel extend the fingers of left hand (right hand if thats where the turn signal stalk is) to feel where the stalk is.

4.Turn the !!!!!!!! radio down, you might hear the turn signal ticking then  :evil:

5. get into habit of whenever the hand returns to the steering wheel, extend the fingers to check the position of the turn signal arm (such as after changing gear).

6. I may have forgotten to mention to turn the !!!!!!!! radio down, you might hear the turn signal ticking then  :evil:

If all else fails, and the ticking really is too quiet, you can get a mechanic to replace the turn signal relay for one that has a louder tick.

#10 13-01-08 18:27:12

premier997bus1fan

Hi all

Thanks for all your posts

Yeah i do use my mirrors before and after i've indicated lol. Yeah i've found out a new technique how to listen to see when my indicator is on i turn down the tunes lol.

Krystle

#11 14-01-08 10:47:59

billrhoades
Verified Member

MSM on approach to junction, MSM when you leave.!!! Mirror to check your and other road users position, Signal is it cancelled?, Move up to speed limit for the road as soon as it is safe to do so, remembering to take into account road conditions etc, i.e is it safe to travel at speed limit.

#12 14-01-08 17:01:55

ExAdiNigel

It so annoys me when ppl dont indicate around islands or at junctions. Why do they do it is sooo annoying. I 9 times out of 10 i can nearly always read ppls minds of what they are going to do. ....

OK, so 9 out of 10 times you can read what the people were going to do.  In those 9 cases, how would a signal have made much difference?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#13 14-01-08 19:58:31

premier997bus1fan

Hi Nigel

It would make a difference if people indicated then they wouldnt confuse me or other road users. i can guess what they are going to do it just annoys me thats all.

Krystle

#14 15-01-08 07:53:58

ExAdiNigel

Hi Nigel

It would make a difference if people indicated then they wouldnt confuse me or other road users. i can guess what they are going to do it just annoys me thats all.

Krystle

But from what you put in your first posting you are rarely confused, so signals in those cases may not make any difference at all.  wink

Seriously though, a signal isn't always required.  I will, however, suggest that many of these people that aren't signalling because of laziness rather than a thorough check round to decide that a signal isn't necessary. big_smile

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#15 17-01-08 00:30:01

Jimothy
Verified Member

What is an island???

is that like a roundabout???

:evil:   wink   tongue

KEV!!!! don't you know anything?

You have to indicate when you go round the Isle of Wight, the Isle of Man, the Scilly Isles, the outer Hebrides and - for those really in the know - the Isle of Axholme (quiz with no prize - whhere is the isle of axholme?).

All of these Isles are, in fact, Islands - so when you drive round them you have to signal. big_smile

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor
Driving Standards Agency Registered Fleet Driver Trainer
ORDIT registered instructor trainer
Accredited BTEC Trainer (Driving Science)
IAM Registered Instructor
IAM Observer

#16 27-01-08 21:50:08

Shazzer

North Lincolnshire ;-)

I forget to cancel the signal after coming off a roundabout, the car i'm in signals three times if you just nudge it, so i try to use that if it doesn't need to stay on long.
Do you get marked down in a test if you signal when you don't need to?

#17 29-01-08 17:02:53

Karenadi
Verified Member

I forget to cancel the signal after coming off a roundabout, the car i'm in signals three times if you just nudge it, so i try to use that if it doesn't need to stay on long.
Do you get marked down in a test if you signal when you don't need to?

It could be seen by others as misleading: possibly even causing danger: therefore the mark on a test would depend on the whole situation at the time.  If you left a roundabout, and the left signal was still flashing away further up the road, another car could think you are turning left, and pull out in front of you.

I also have the car that you can tap the indicators and just put on 3 flashes: but I've had the option taken off, as I found that more often than not, learners were not applying the indicators correctly, and so the signal was being cancelled too early: which is almost as bad as leaving it on.

#18 31-01-08 12:15:00

Shazzer

Thanks Karenadi I will bear that in mind.
What if you signal and no one is there, I always try to signal so it becomes habit, but have been told there are instances when you don't need to, pulling off on an empty street for example. Is it best to just signal just in case?

#19 31-01-08 12:25:27

VandADI
Administrator

You will not be marked down for signalling if no one is there but you will be marked down if you don't signal and someone is there  wink

#20 31-01-08 12:27:20

Dimmy

Signalling out of habit is not a good habit to get into.

CONSIDERING if a signal will mislead or inform is a GOOD habit to get into. Based on that consideration you can decide to signal or not.

moving off or stopping are classic scenarios where it is best to consider if a signal will:
A) mislead or confuse.
B) Benifit another road user.

Some scenarios it is better to signal in the majority of instances. An example would be when aprroaching to turn left or right.

In all circumstances, and following the due consideration, if you are still in doubt then signal.

#21 31-01-08 19:53:36

Karenadi
Verified Member

Like every thing else you do when driving, it has to be with a purpose: you check your mirrors so you can make informed decisions as to what action to take.  There would be little point to using a signal willy nilly for no particular purpose: it would become meaningless.

Board footer