You are not logged in.

#1 05-12-07 15:04:48

Tracey89

Roundabouts...

Hi all can anyone give me anytips on approaching and going on roundabouts?? I did some today in my lesson, i stalled the car twice at 2 different roundabouts (coming on to the roundabouts) and then nearly cut someone up (i was ment to keep to the left lane but somehow for a brief moment i ended up in the right lane....)

Any tips on to be more aware and ready to go onto the roundabouts??

Thanks

xX.:Can we bring yesterday back around coz I know how I feel about you now....:.xX

*Theory Tessed passed on 20/06/08 - Questions: 48/50 & H&P: 51/75*

05-12-07 15:04:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Roundabouts...

#2 05-12-07 16:07:50

driverpete
Verified Member

successfully negotiating a roundabout involves a high degree of coordination so start your routine as early as possible.

As soon as you hear the words  "At the roundabout take the ...." check you MIRRORS. You may need to be planning a lane change so you'll be looking for upcoming gaps in the traffic.

SIGNAL at the earliest sensible opportunity (but not so early as to cause confusion).

POSITION in the correct lane as soon as is safe.

Now you can concentrate on getting your SPEED down and at the same time scanning the roundabout for likely looking gaps in the traffic. Concentrate on the gaps not the cars. Divide your attention between what's already on the roundabout and the queue ahead of you; see if you can work out when the guy ahead is going to move off but make sure he's gone before you move into his space!

When it's your turn identify which lane you need to head for on the roundabout, look for a suitable gap in the traffic and watch the signals and the "body language" of cars on the roundabout; if someone isn't signalling to exit make very sure you know exactly where he's going before you act. If you can't see across the roundabout (because of shrubs for example) then watch the traffic joining at the entry just before yours; if they are slowing to stop there may be an opportunity coming up so be ready to go.

TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON'T BE PRESSURED BY THOSE BEHIND YOU. When you decide to go be positive and move off smartly in the correct lane (but don't rush it or you may stall). If you find yourself trapped in the wrong lane KEEP CALM, keep moving, check mirrors and blind spots and if your required lane is clear signal and move over; if you can't move over then go with the flow, find a suitable way of getting back onto the roundabout and try again. If you're trapped in the right hand lane you may be able to go all the way round until you find your correct exit but remember this may involve "spiralling" out to the left hand lane so once again lots of observation.

If you have difficulty moving off smartly why not ask your ADI help you to practice on a quiet straight road.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#3 05-12-07 16:24:02

Tracey89

My moving off form the side of the road is perfect i think i only stalled coz i panicked, and i kept forgetting where to look what to do...im sure i will get there! smile

xX.:Can we bring yesterday back around coz I know how I feel about you now....:.xX

*Theory Tessed passed on 20/06/08 - Questions: 48/50 & H&P: 51/75*

#4 05-12-07 17:04:47

driverpete
Verified Member

You will Tracey. You care enough to ask questions on here so you obviously care about your driving. Keep at it!

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#5 05-01-08 08:06:42

dwalin

i struggled with roundabouts when i was learning as well.keep trying it does honestly come to you.just takes practic and time.im sure you will get there .

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 05-01-08 09:39:03

andikay1

Try to time your approach so that you can flow into one off the gaps, go into a lower gear early 2 or 1 so that you are ready to accelerate onto the roundabout. Main reason for stalling is moving foot off clutch to fast, if you want to accelerate faster use more gas.   

#7 20-01-08 16:50:40

wolfchild08

This is like the main thing I am having problems with at the moment and ive had like 30 hours worth of lessons since July.  It seems to be taking me forever to get my head around! I will take on board the comments posted in this thread.  I find them difficult because I tend to panic with all the cars behind me waiting and having to do so many differant things at the same time.  I stall alot when I reach roundabouts.  Im fine once im on the roundabout and when it comes to exiting the roundabout though.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#8 27-01-08 20:30:04

Shazzer

I quite often stall going onto a roundabout if i have had to stop. I think I panic that I need to go quickly rather than taking my time, and come of the clutch too quick. Like driverpete mentioned, I try to ignore who is behind, although i'm aware they are there, but don't let them push me to going before i'm comfortable.

Easier said than done I know  yikes
Last week I was told I went round a roundabout too fast, because it was clear, I just went! Oh well practice......

Board footer