You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 25-01-08 15:43:08

adi
Verified Member
Website

NVQ

To cut a long story short, i started an NVQ L3 in driving instruction last year which from what i was told would contribute towards CPD.
I had to put things on hold with it due to work load and family commitments. Looking at it now i am wandering whether it is worth doing? It won't change the way i work as it seems i am basically supplying evidence as to how i work already.
Is there a list of courses anywhere yet as to what the DSA are happy with us doing towards cPD or is it still in limbo as to what is acceptable. There is a lot of time consuming work involved in doing the NVQ and as i am not learning anything new i wander if there is any point. However, if NVQ is acceptable as proof that i am a worthy ADI and it would be a qualification that would have any value i will continue to do it.
Any advice would be welcomed.

25-01-08 15:43:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: NVQ

#2 25-01-08 16:29:25

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Who can say?

What exactly were you told about it contributing towards CPD? It probably will, but no-one has actually decided what will count and what won't, so you may have been misled slightly there.

There are no courses currently approved for CPD - I've been trying to find out how to get a course approved, and none have been so far. To be honest, if you're not getting anything from it and it's taking up time which you could use more productively I would put it on hold if I was you.

If the DSA decide that it is acceptable then you've got a head start. If not then you can use your time more effectively elsewhere.

#3 25-01-08 17:00:16

adi
Verified Member
Website

That's the thing Tim, basically i can do the course for free (compensation) so i didn't turn it away.
Once collecting course materials and realising how much work there is to do, i put it on hold.
If the DSA would pull their finger out and say 'yes, doing such an NVQ is a valuable string to your bow and it is on our list of acceptable courses' then great i can get stuck in and do it (done one before and it's not too hard just time consuming).
If the DSA would say 'NVQ means diddly squat in our book' then obviously i just wouldn't bother.
My problem is this isn't costing me anything, but there may be a limit to how long i can keep this thing in limbo.
Any ideas as to when the  'Don't Say Alot' agency will publish the said approved list of courses?

#4 25-01-08 17:06:57

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I'm not sure ADI, sorry, I've got a feeling that it'll be a while yet (maybe before the end of the year though) before we get anything concrete.

Even then, there will be a wait before individual courses and course providers are accredited. From there it will be another wait before ADIs actually have to have taken them.

I'd be very surprised if the DSA didn't accept the NVQ, but if you do it now, then when CPD is eventually mandatory you may find that it is out of date and "I did it 2 years ago" won't wash.

If it was me, I'd consider doing something which I felt had more direct relevance. I do a lot of CPD, and have no intention of taking more than a passing interest in what the DSA say - I'll just make sure that I can crowbar what I want to do into their framework, and do the minimum necessary to conform while doing loads of the stuff that I want to do to help me and my business.

If you find it easy and as you say it is free then if you have time try to complete it so you can add it to a list of impressive qualifications. If it's stopping you doing more useful stuff (either personally or professionally) then leave it.

Good luck whatever you decide.

#5 25-01-08 17:14:39

Dimmy

Volountary CPD is meant to be rolling out 1st quarter of this year........ of course, thats the DSA's 1st quarter and year, so it could actually be ANY time from now until the next millenium.

#6 25-01-08 17:17:23

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Dimmy,

Have you got any links to definite information?

It's proving hard to find anything, but I know your research skills are a little better than mine are.

Tim.

#7 25-01-08 17:46:47

VandADI
Administrator

There is a CPD working group tasks – Progress update dated 15th January 2008 .  No timescales in there   roll

DSA link re : CPD 
            http://www.dsa.gov.uk/News.asp?id=SXFC46-A782D280

#8 25-01-08 20:18:24

adi
Verified Member
Website

Thanks, i have bookmarked the link.
I will have to get back in touch with the NVQ assessor and see what he thinks about the timing of the CPD phases and the course im doing.

Board footer