You are not logged in.

#1 17-01-08 19:01:48

giggles184
Verified Member

How do you

I dont know if this is the best or right place for this but...

Im looking for someone elses perspective. Basically i was in a pretty nasty crash... I was ok got a bit of whiplash but walked away so thats the main thing. The lady who hit me went on to knock over a pedestrian pull out 2 metal fences that encased the pavement and bury her car into the wall of a pub, having spun my car in a 90 degree angle after hitting me at about 30-35 mph  sad. My car suffered about 3 & half thousand pounds worth of damage.

I couldnt drive for almost a week after the accident as my car was to damaged to be deemed roadworthy and i couldnt get a hirecar for that period of time. Once i did get the thing it took me almost an hr and a half to decide if i wanted to actually use it, i was terrified of it. I got in it and did the usual home to work journey etc but with some stupuid issues im a nervous wreck even now over a week later i get like the shakes is the only way i can describe it and thats it ive stalled if i see something coming from a junction to my side and it looks like its moving quite fast i take my feet off the pedals and panic  sad

I realise im probably going to be looked at like a complete numpty posting this but i jst need to know how to get my confidence back, before i crashed it was there it was ALL THERE! i was confident i was driving well and id even decided to re do my diamond test after passing a mock. Now ive gone backwards im dangerous cos i cant control my nerves.

Basically as i said id like to know how to get it back. Ive asked my adi to help me out cos i jst really am at breaking point with it. What if i was your pupil would you do?

Thanks!  smile

ADI part 1 - passed 1st attempt 11/5/09 97/63
ADI part 2 - passed 1st attempt 03/09/09 - 1 minor big_smile
ADI part 3........... start training 27/9/09 then we shall see!

17-01-08 19:01:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How do you

#2 18-01-08 11:44:21

billrhoades
Verified Member

Hi giggles,
              First of all you are not a complete numpty. You have been in a serious R.T.C.
If you was my pupil I would take you somewhere quite, like you did when you first started driving and rebuild your confidence.
Before the collison you say you was driving well, the fact that the collision was not your fault tells me you are still driving well.
If you can recall the collison and think it through, was there anything you could have done to avoid it? Hopefully the answer is no.
So you should be confident in the fact you can still drive well.
Your ADI can help regain that lost confidence.
If you want to chat about any driving matter e-mail me and I will help as much as I can.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 18-01-08 18:34:41

gday
Verified Member
Website

Hi giggles,
              First of all you are not a complete numpty. You have been in a serious R.T.C.
If you was my pupil I would take you somewhere quite, like you did when you first started driving and rebuild your confidence.
Before the collison you say you was driving well, the fact that the collision was not your fault tells me you are still driving well.
If you can recall the collison and think it through, was there anything you could have done to avoid it? Hopefully the answer is no.
So you should be confident in the fact you can still drive well.
Your ADI can help regain that lost confidence.
If you want to chat about any driving matter e-mail me and I will help as much as I can.

Ditto

#4 18-01-08 19:23:51

pj
Verified Member

ditto too, the woman who hit you sounds like a maniac :x hopefully she will be taken off the roads.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 19-01-08 10:03:53

golfball13
Verified Member
Website

Basically as i said id like to know how to get it back. Ive asked my adi to help me out cos i jst really am at breaking point with it. What if i was your pupil would you do?

Thanks!  smile

I think this is going to be the first step, go out with your instructor and slowly get the confidence back. It's perfectly natural, but if you let it beat you, you'll find it harder and harder to get driving again. So have some time with your instructor, then small drives alone and see how it goes.

Rob

RPL Driving
Driving lessons in Chelmsford, Brentwood, Billericay and other areas of Essex

#6 19-01-08 15:29:12

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Just drive defensively until you get confidence back-keep nice distances and if you see a car approaching junction too fast hold back a bit untill your sure-even us instructors get a bit skittish after a crash brought on by an idiotic driver-i had two in one week hit me up the ass coz they werent paying attention but luckily at about 15mph not 35.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#7 19-01-08 17:08:41

ExAdiNigel

Just drive defensively until you get confidence back....

Sorry, I disagree with you here.  Just drive defensively Yep, agree with this bit but I think there should then have been a full stop.  Under no circumstances should you stop driving defensively when you get the confidence back!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#8 19-01-08 21:52:52

giggles184
Verified Member

Thanks very much for the replies. Im being silly but im having a panic about what im gonna do with my adi which is madness but im so skittish anyways its normal for me. LOL. But its nice to know what hes likely to do so thanks.

Yeah the only trouble here is the "legal" side of things because of where the crash occured its almost certainly going to be deemed as my fault! I have been back there as a passenger with my adi and shown him exactly what happened and drove my route on that day and then her route on that day and said i had done nothing wrong. But as i was crossing her path despite the fact i was stationary wen she hit me the insurance company are wanting to give in! grrrrr.

Im really trying on my own but im just to tense now and the shakes start wenever i get in the car, Its such a shame cos i really loved to just drive anywhere and everywhere i just hope that ill get back to doing that.

ADI part 1 - passed 1st attempt 11/5/09 97/63
ADI part 2 - passed 1st attempt 03/09/09 - 1 minor big_smile
ADI part 3........... start training 27/9/09 then we shall see!

#9 20-01-08 11:03:27

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

captainhook wrote:

Just drive defensively until you get confidence back....

Sorry, I disagree with you here.  Just drive defensively Yep, agree with this bit but I think there should then have been a full stop.  Under no circumstances should you stop driving defensively when you get the confidence back!

Nigel

I meant possibly a little bit more hesitantly than usual until confidence comes back-i know this is not what we teach for learners but sometimes is only way to get confidence back nigel. Badly worded maybe.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

Board footer