You are not logged in.

#1 10-01-08 09:38:13

littlemissbitch

strange car

Hello

I was looking for some advice/ encouragement from you guy's and girl's ,  i failed my test 12 year's ago , i got two test examiners one in the back keeping a check on the one examining me , basicly i failed on going to close to a parked lorry , only had 3 minor's aswell for the rest of the test .

Anyway i decided i wasn't putting myself through that again , i have never been so nervous in my entire life , i would sooner give birth than have a driving test , anyway 4 year's ago my husband got me a little car to start driving in again bearing in mind i hadn't drove for 8 year's since i failed that test , he thought the more confident i got with him the more confident i would be taking a test ,  i was rather rusty to say the least everytime another car came within a metre of me i froze and thought i was going to crash , but 4 year's on of driving on and off im very confident now and will drive anywhere , so we decided it was time to get me a proper instucter ,i feel confident enough now to attempt another test once my ADI think's im ready , altho i do think i nerves will get the better of me , but i can only give it another go and see what happen's

I had my first proper lesson yesterday with an ADI  he put me straight into the driving seat and OMG my driving was awfull you wouldn't think i could drive if you had been a passenger in that car  :oops: i really struggled with the new car i found it to be the worst car i have ever driven  (i have driven a few car's in fields and the like as i used to live on a farm) toward's the end of the lesson i was getting a bit better but i found myself doing thing's i wouldn't normally do in my own car , if the car hadn't been a diesal i would of stalled it for sure probebebly  about 6 times even tho i know i need more gas i just couldn't get the hang of giving it more gas  , yet in my four year's in my own car i have never stalled  big_smile the car just feel's more like hard work than mine , i decided  last night that i would go  out in my own car for two hour's learning the bit's that he ADI pulled me up on that i wasn't doing correctly , and it was just so much easier in my car , im now worried that i might struggle with this new car , and i don't want to change ADI'S as he is the nicest person i have ever met and we really got on, so i think he really is the instructer for me it's just his car, it's a 306 diesal and im used to a petrol clio , is there any ADI'S on here that have pupil's that have been the same when they have started cause there used to another car ??? 

Any reply's appriecieted

amandajayne

10-01-08 09:38:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: strange car

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 10-01-08 10:51:54

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Hi from Down Under.

I wouldn't blame your instructor and especially not yourself.
I've noticed that this is often the case: pupils getting into a car with a professional instructor after lots of 'private' practice (which is a great idea, never stop practicing!) do tend to get out of sorts.

There are a lot of factors at play here - first of all there is the strange overall situation you are in, not to mention driving a strange car which would probably feel quite different to yours, and with a strange person sitting next to you who is also a professional and you feel like he/she is watching your every move like a hawk - and on top of all this you will feel that you have to prove something.

Of course the instructor will be watching your driving, they must do that in order to do their job, but please don't feel that you have to prove something.
When I get a new student I always ask about their previous experience but I don't use their reply as a basis for criticism - for example I would NEVER say something like "that was awful I thought you said you could drive!!??"

A lot of my new students insist they've never driven before yet after it little while it becomes apparent that they have - but that's not a problem at all. I can understand them not wanting to say they are at a certain standard in case they don't drive to expectations. I would probably tend to do that myself if I was a newbie driver (I started in 1966, too long ago to remember my 1st driving lesson).

Sounds like you have a nice ADI, which means he is probably a true professional too (as most are!).
Don't think in terms of him "pulling you up", he is simply advising you how to do things a certain way to ensure your driving reaches a certain standard.

Don't be harsh on yourself. You are are novice driver so of course you will get things wrong; of course you won't get it right the first time you try, or the second time, or even the third... etc.

Good luck amandajayne, and please enjoy your driving lessons!

Oh by the way we ALL are learning all the time, whether we are Novice Drivers, Experienced Drivers, PDIs, ADIs, Examiners, Ministers of Transport, or whatever.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#3 10-01-08 11:17:07

littlemissbitch

Hello

Thankyou for your reply , you hit the nail on the head there , that's exactly what i was thinking that i had to prove myself and well it all went kinda wrong lol , i knew before i started that i would be doing load's of thing's wrong as it's 18 year's ago since my husband passed his test so thing's have changed and he's not a ADI so doesn't really know how to teach me , he has basicly just tought me how to control the car safly ,and the MSM sequince  the rest i have learnt through watching the dsa theory dvd on the pratical side , i was pulled up  (i say pulling up but i don't mean it the way it sound's he was great with me)  on a few thing's just simple things that you cannot see on the dvd ,  now i've been told,  i will drive like that all the time if was a case of not knowing really but now i know i will do that , some bit's i did wrong that i knew i was doing wrong   i went slightly over 30 on one occasion on a 30 zone and i said oops im not supposed to do that am i and i corrected it and carried on at bob on 30 and i kept saying sorry for things that i knew i was doing wrong , but the instucter was really calm and said dont worry about it  i think he was just assesing me yesterday ??? im used to my husband in the passenger seat not so much shouting as he's pretty patient but he does raise his voice sometimes lol whereas my ADI is better lol well he will be he's trained to do it , next week he say's he's taking me into town to see how i do in heavy traffic , im ok in my own car just hope i will be ok in his car , finger's crossed for  me everyone smile

#4 10-01-08 11:21:34

gday
Verified Member
Website

You just need a bit of time to adjust to your Instructor and his car, don't worry it will come and as said do not be to hard on your self.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 10-01-08 11:25:24

littlemissbitch

You just need a bit of time to adjust to your Instructor and his car, don't worry it will come and as said do not be to hard on your self.

Thankyou for that it just seem's very daunting at the moment and i just keep thinking will i ever get used to this car and be able to drive it like mine , my husband said it could take at least 3 lessons to get used it , he said even he find's it strange getting into a different car if he's never drove it before , but im one of these that think's i should be able to do it instant and cause i couldn't i think i never will lol

#6 10-01-08 12:01:45

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Hi Amandajayne & welcome to the forum,

Great advice already given, well done on deciding to learn to drive again thats the hardest part over! take each lesson as it comes & when you go out in your own car take your knowledge with you.
As Zipper said, whoever we are, whatever age we are.....We NEVER stop learning!
Good Luck  big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 10-01-08 12:08:40

littlemissbitch

Hi Amandajayne & welcome to the forum,

Great advice already given, well done on deciding to learn to drive again thats the hardest part over! take each lesson as it comes & when you go out in your own car take your knowledge with you.
As Zipper said, whoever we are, whatever age we are.....We NEVER stop learning!
Good Luck  big_smile

Hello

Thankyou for your advice and i must say it is a big milestone for me atually learning properly with a ADI i never thought i would do it again tbh , but i set my mind to it i passed my theory  first time in nov last year , that was another milestone as i was very very nervous about that aswell , i just hope i can get past these little hiccup's and i just pray to god that if i do fail the pratical at the end of this that i will have the confidence to do it again and again and however times it takes to pass

thank's again

#8 10-01-08 20:12:37

ExAdiNigel

I am surprised he is using such an old car!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#9 10-01-08 22:54:20

iwanadrive

Hiya and welcome.  I have had a few driving instructors on and off over the years and have often found this when being in a new car.  I remember my first lesson with my current driving instructor.  He took me to a quite estate because he wanted to see what i could do first before letting me drive his car.  I was truly awful despite having already had 30 driving lessons with other instructors, i literally felt like i was a beginner again.

It does take time to adjust to a new car, but you do get there and quicker than what it may feel like right now.  All the best with it.

Board footer