You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 09-01-08 17:46:03

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Yell dot com - feedback wanted

Just had a phone call off Yell asking whether I want to advertise with them.

Now the cost is around £400/year after vat etc for an advert and a link to my website. Apparently 150 people searched for driving schools in Lancaster last month, and according to Yell's stats half of those people will call.

Sounds very impressive, until I worked out that that means 75 phone calls to 50 schools - 1.5 calls each school per month - even with a 100% conversion rate I can't imagine this generating enough business to justify advertising with them.

What I'd like to know from anyone who advertises with them is:
How much work do you get from it?
How much does it cost you? (if you don't mind me asking of course!)
Will you re-advertise with them next year?

And from anyone else - has anyone used yell to find a service?
I haven't, and I find the website annoying and confusing, but I'd like to hear other people's point of view.

09-01-08 17:46:03

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Yell dot com - feedback wanted

#2 09-01-08 20:53:47

FRANKS
Verified Member

Have you checked Yell to see if your details are already on there?

If they are why pay to advertise with them?

I've just checked to see if we are register and guess what we are and I don't pay them anything.

There's always someone out there trying to make money out of you.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#3 10-01-08 10:04:03

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Yep, I've got the free ad, I just wanted to know what people who've actually paid for the "premium" ads with website links thought of them.

I'd be very surprised if I gave them any money, considering their figures, but the lady on the phone seemed so insistent that I was wrong, and could expect to get back a 10 to 15 times my investment in business from the ad.

Has anyone advertised with them recently?

#4 10-01-08 10:38:01

ChelmsfordADI
Verified Member

Two words for you Tim - DON'T BOTHER

I advertised with a premium listing with Yell.com for 2 years back in 2002. I paid almost £400 a year for the advert and a website link.

Yell told me that x number of people searched for driving schools in my area so I bought the sales patter. I think it was about 30 hits a day. When I changed web hosts, I was able to see where my visitors were coming from and I was lucky to get 1 or 2 hits a month.

I'm currently with a franchise who has a paid listing on yell.com but he's not bothering any more as the number of visitors didn't warrant the price tag.

People don't visit yell.com unless they are looking for something specific. Personally, I use Google more than I use yell and I'm positive the same is said for most people looking for driving instructors.

From my stats I can tell what people type in to google to get to my site - most searches are done on "driving lessons in <wherever>" and "driving instructor in <whereever>". I get the odd search coming through on my business name and obscure things like - "in car video lessons".

Carl

Driving Instructor currently working in IT Business Support
BUT looking to return to instructing over the next few months big_smile

DSA Approved Driving Instructor since 1998
RoSPA Gold Advanced Driver

#5 10-01-08 10:48:49

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

That's exactly the feeling I had Carl.

However, the sales lady was very insistent that comparing the amount of hits from google to the amount of hits from Yell because apparently 50% of people who search through Yell will purchase something.

Now you and I both know that website hits don't equate to phone calls or sales, but I'm interested in her (very confident, and very definite) assertion that a hit from Yell would be lucrative.

I'd be very surprised, but I really would love to hear from anyone who finds that they do get customers through Yell.

#6 10-01-08 13:25:03

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Hi Tim

Had the enhanced listing since last summer, paid approx £350.00 for it. No link to website; apparently if you choose to add a website link at a later date it costs over £100 so did not bother.
In the first month or so got about 1 client per week from it. After that it fell off dramatically, maybee due to AA having a national listing in our area, therefore they are always at the top of the list.

Was the sales person called Lisa Anderson?

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#7 10-01-08 13:34:22

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

An extra £100 for the website link seems a bit tight, but ho hum.

Not sure who it was, just that she was insistant that I was wrong!

Glad to hear you've had some work from it hoylake - will you be renewing it next year, or are you starting to get enough work through the website?

#8 10-01-08 18:03:33

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Not enough coming through website at moment, but hopefully by summer [when the renewall for yell is due]there will be. If that is the case I'll save my yell subscription.

Sophie.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#9 10-01-08 20:10:06

FRANKS
Verified Member

Years ago when I joined the 'yellow pages' I had one of their sales personel come to see me, I gain one peice of useful information from him and that was to do market research on where my pupils are coming from.

After doing this market research over a period of six months I discovered that most pupils came to me through recommendations from others and if they used the yellow pages it was just to find my contact details. They were not using the yellow pages to look for an instructor just wanted my contact details.

So the result was that we've got the smallest advert we can get in yellow pages now.

I do not have a website, have thought of setting one up but not sure that the cost would be recovered in the work it brought in if any. I don't give my pupils my email address as I don't want them using it forcancelling lesson etc. I'd rather they phoned me.

I know this is taking this thread off topic a little here but those of you who have a website for your driving school does it generate work for your school?

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#10 10-01-08 21:39:16

chrisbakeradi
Verified Member
Website

Hi Franks I get loads of enquiries and business from my website.
It doesn't have to cost you much money either mine has cost less than £50.
The key to a websites success it to get it very visible in the search engines like google this is the hard part but it is possible to do on your own or there are people out there who will do it for you for a fee.
I did every thing myself on my website and on my friends driving school website and they both rank very highly for terms that people would type in for example " driving lessons southampton" etc etc.

sure beats paying £400 to yell!!!!

#11 11-01-08 00:32:23

gday
Verified Member
Website

Payed Jonks £99 for mine last April, have had 3 telephone enquiries. 1 wanted me to take them for test next day, no way! 1 wanted to know if I did automatic, I don't and one rang me from BELGIUM, she was moving to my area and wanted lessons. She started before Christmas and has paid me more than the website cost so anything now other than the usual expenses is profit!

#12 11-01-08 08:18:58

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Part of the reason for this thread is that I've only every had 1 customer through Yell.com.

I run a few thousand (slight exaggeration) websites (which cost me around £400/year - not bad for a hobby that I enjoy, and which earn me around £600/year from advertising - it's also another string to the bow, and I sometimes build them for other people). The websites generate all of my work at the moment, because I'm moving into new areas (fleet & 4x4) where I have no real contacts. They've brought in £3000 of work this month alone (not all profit I might add).

I really believe that a half decent (and not necessarily expensive) website will generate a lot more than £400 worth of Yell advertising - I just wanted to see if anyone had experiences to the contrary - like this lady was telling me.

Any more positive Yell.com experiences appreciated.

#13 11-01-08 13:16:21

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

Last year I had 2 pupils from yell. had a few enquiries as well. They were both people who were new to the ares. Not allot of pupils from it but it was enough for me to renew this year with a weblink cost about £400.

http://www.learnnpass.co.uk/

Driving should be fun

#14 28-03-09 11:03:43

idc2000
Website

My brother used Yell for 2 years, they told him they had 1000's of visitors per week in his area. He got very little response from the premium listing, it was a total waste of time for him. Maybe stick to the free listing and see what response you get before paying for a paid listing.

Intensive Driving Courses Driving School www.idcdriving.com

#15 28-03-09 12:13:42

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

I did a free online listing in a busines directory and now get hounded by Yell and Yellow pages.
Wouldn't touch either of them with a barge pole.

#16 28-03-09 13:21:11

The Saint
Verified Member

Interesting to see this one re-surface.

So a year or so on Tim, what decision did you come to?

If you took up the listing did it work and what are your experiences?

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#17 07-06-09 19:35:01

KEP

Hi, using sites like these are not very good, they dont offer the pupil seeking lessons with very much details about your business.

After all they are shopping as it were for a company that is potentially going to give them the end product - the means to get a car.

As a shopper yourself think about what sites you visit online when you are searching for products to buy - presented with a companies name and address on a boring page is not really going to make you jump for joy, it does not instill you with any confidence. For example if you were purchasing a new car or new pc you would want the business advertising the product to reflect in their site that they are vell versed in their trade - yell.com have never offered this.

Whats more to find information on yell the pupil has to actually visit the yell.com website as the yell directory is not indexed within the search engines such as yahoo, google and msn/bling...so why chance that your pupil uses yell.com as their search engine - if they are going to use this then they would have already used the yellow pages, but no one really uses this as a main means of contact information.

Having your own website is the best way to go and i am not only saying that from a web designers point of view. It really is. I see many posts on here and many people have their own web address at the bottom on their posts, however one or 2 are commenting that their sites are not being picked up or attracting very little visitors.

Those who already have site and i have visited a few the sites can be picked up on the search engines with just a few changes - 2 mins for anyone to do please email me for details of how to change your site...dont worry its free advice smile

Pen

Board footer