You are not logged in.

#1 05-04-04 16:24:52

jonks

What has been the hardest part of learning so far?

Everyone whilst learning to drive has one or two things that they find particularly hard to get to grips with...

What has been the hardest part of learning for you?

Are you still having trouble with it?

How did you overcome your problems?

05-04-04 16:24:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What has been the hardest part of learning so far?

#2 07-04-04 18:46:26

Folk

I have been trying to avoid answering this question Jonks, as I feel very embarrassed  :oops: and sad  :cry: because I can't seem to get to grips with approaching roundabouts.  I'm quite happy going round the roundabout but it's when I approach one, my heart sinks and I almost panic with getting the gears right, the braking, the indicating, the looking etc, etc. 

As my instructor says I'm fine until I stop!  Getting started again has been a problem.  If I'm on a slope and I start to go backwards, I panic. 

:oops:  :cry: I'm hoping to conquer these inadequacies soon!

Folk

#3 08-04-04 02:48:15

jonks

inadequacies ? Hardly!

This I recon is a very common problem. I remember being a little shy of giving the car enough gas entering a roundabout from a stand still, resulting in a stall.

Honestly, set the biting point and give it some gas. Don't worry about the noise, don't go over the top but a little extra gas is all that is usually needed. Give it some gas and the car wont stall. The car wont shoot forward either, as long as you bring the clutch up slowly.

Loads of gas, slow on the clutch!

If you are on a backwards slope, whack the handbrake on, set the biting point and only let the hand brake off when you can feel the car held by the biting point.

Once you have the biting point and are confident that the car wont roll backwards, don't make the easy mistake of bringing the clutch up, first give it some gas so that the car can handle the incline without stalling.

Always remember that a cars move off speed can be controlled by the clutch, but the engines ability to handle what you are doing with the clutch is directly related to the amount of gas you are giving. More gas is better than too little. In fact, if your clutch control is good, you cannot give too much gas.

Thats my opinion anyway and I'd be very interested in what you instructors think..

#4 08-04-04 10:43:01

Lynne
Verified Member

Hi Folk!

It's not uncommon to feel daunted by roundabouts.  They take time and practice and you will slowly gain more confidence. 

You are doing well if you can approach and are dealing with looking at oncoming traffic and calculating whether you have enough time to go or not. If you do need to stop, do exactly what Jonks suggests.  This is what I tell my pupils too.

Better to take a few moments longer getting the control of the car correct than stalling.  But if you do stall don't panic.  Remember no one was born holding a steering wheel!  As you gain more experience it will get easier. 
Practice makes perfect!

Good luck!! 

Lynne  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 09-04-04 23:10:15

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Good advice above , Remember not to feel like you the only one who doesn't like roundabouts to much.

I can remember a lady who used to drive her car from home towards the first roundabout then take the bus for the rest of the way to work.

Practise is the best thing you could do, with help from you instructor.

Regards

Nigel

#6 10-04-04 21:38:51

Folk

Thank you Jonks and everyone for all your good advice!

Folk smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 10-04-04 23:55:44

Unplugged

Folk wrote:

Because I can't seem to get to grips with approaching roundabouts.

Cant remeber now its been so long back hmm im sure there was many things

Roundabouts are ok once you get used to them then you have to get used to the ones in France neutral

Board footer