You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 17-05-06 17:46:10

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Swap web links cuddle a Googlebot

Hi All,

We have now launched our new web sites. Within a week we have got to the top of page 3 in MSN on a search for "driving schools". As you may be aware to get recognised by the almighty Google you need loads of relevant links. We will happily put links to other schools on our sites for the same in return.

Our only exceptions are where we operate in the same area of the country and we don't accept banners because they are rumoured not to impress the googlebots.

Add a reply or PM me if you want to trade links.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

17-05-06 17:46:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Swap web links cuddle a Googlebot

#2 18-05-06 13:40:50

Panjandrumbuilder

Hi Colin,

If you really want to fast-track your way into favour with the Googlebot, the solution is very simple. It does however require a leap of faith on your part. I know, because I went through all the mental marketing processes before I decided to give the idea a go.

Having decided to give it a go, I achieved top European status for 'Education, UK, Manchester, Driving Tuition,' with just 3 links to sites outside my own site. By linking my driving school site to my display tools site, I achieved top 3 to 4 in Google on page 1 for several descriptions of my 'Panjandrums,' business and educational tools. So, how did I do all this? I gave Google something in return, i.e., I signed-up to put Google Adsense Ad's on both my sites.

Not only do I get paid by Google for putting their Ads on my sites, they regularly visit my sites and by regularly I mean most days, sometimes several times per day. As such, I got indexed, I've stayed indexed and I get paid too. It really works.

One point though: don't be afraid of reciprocal linking with schools/adi's who operate in the same areas that you do, and if you do give Adsense a try, don't be afraid of losing business to other schools who advertise on your site. My experience is that the benefits of Adsense far out-weigh any worries about loss of business to the competition. This marketplace just doesn't work like that.  smile

#3 18-05-06 13:43:13

luchell

How much do you get for putting the google ads on your site out of interest lol

#4 18-05-06 16:55:03

Panjandrumbuilder

It varies depending upon how much the advertiser has agreed with Google that they are prepared to pay per click. You get paid per click-through, so, when someone visits your site and clicks on an Adsense link, you get paid whether that customer buys anything or not. Click-throughs generate around 15 cents to over a Dollar US.

I found that having a motor insurance page on my site (I didn't sell motor insurance), with a link to moneysavingexpert.com generated ads from a number of web based 'we'll find you the cheapest insurance in town' companies and was very lucrative. Another page dedicated to theory test software and with just 2 links to theory test suppliers also worked well. You have to be a bit creative to write web pages which are relevant to your main site content, e.g., the 2 I mentioned above. It's worth taking Adsense on board just to get indexed early. You won't make a fortune out of Adsense, perhaps $100.00 per year, but it is free money.   smile

#5 29-05-06 21:11:23

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Googlebot doesn't need to have adsense or adword campaigns to make it visit. Submit once, get a google site map uploaded and you'll get visits every day. have a look at Mays visits - http://www.bigredl.co.uk/google.txt

I've decided not to have adsense campaigns on my site, cos once they leave to an external website, it's unlikely they will be back. If they dont buy from the first visit you may have lost them for good. They can also promote your competitors if you don't set them up right.

Regards

#6 30-05-06 10:04:18

Panjandrumbuilder

Quite right Big Red, the Googlebot will visit. However, to get consistent referrals, I have found the MediaPartners Googlebot to be superior.

#7 05-06-06 16:45:08

TheBlackburnRover
Verified Member
Website

On my website www.philcope.co.uk  I use Google Adsense.It does bring in a little revenue but I don't think it's done much good for my ranking.I always come in the top 4 on Yahoo,Ask Jeeves & Alta vista for a search for "driving lessons in preston"  but never appear anywhere on google,which is puzzling me as I have had this website for over 2 years.
Anyway if anybody would like to swap links then please let me know.

Driving Schools In Preston www.philcope.co.uk

#8 05-06-06 16:59:36

jonks

Google adsense will NOT increase your rank on google in any way at all.

Google adsense uses a bot called "Google media partners" to crawl your pages hat contain the adsense code, and decide which adverts are best to serve on your page, based on text content. Google media partners robot does not collect pages for the search engine.

Googlebot, of which there are hundreds are the only robots that collect pages for the search engine. And it really doesnt matter how many times the robot visits your site, it will not increase your rank.

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts to good rankings on google. Patience and good SEO techniques are the only way to go.

#9 05-06-06 17:55:52

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

Jonks

I did hear that the media partners bot still ranks your adsense ad to decide how much to charge. Is this the case?

Colin on Sues login because its too much hassle to change it.

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

#10 05-06-06 20:25:51

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Phil,

I've just had a look at your website and would like to ask what is the key phrase that you use to optimise your home page?

People looking for a decent driving school in your area will type in "driving school in Preston" (or Leyland or Chorley) "driving instructor in X" or "driving lessons in x" with out these phrases on your pages you stand little chance of getting any results.

I also noticed your adsense campaign, which can bring in money, but more importantly diverts punters away from your site before they have had a chance to explore. 1 extra pupil a year should pay for the loss of income. It's just my opinion but why send potential pupils elsewhere for just a few pence quick profit?

However, If I was an adi in your area I'd make sure I did an Adwords campaign to try and prise people off your site for a mere 10p per click - Now that seems like better value!

Hope I don't sound too negative, but I've followed Jonks advice and got the rewards from it. PM me if you need to ask other questions (remember I'm still a novice at this and I think I can still learn loads more)

Regards,

#11 06-06-06 12:54:44

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

I must admit I am having doubts about the Google folklore again. We believe that having relevant links to our sites is one of the factors that gets us ranking with google.

I have noticed that typing a sites URL into a google search gets a result with some options. One, I use a lot, is what Google has cached which shows when the site was last visited amongst other things. Another is links to a site. On looking at various sites with both high and low rankings on a variety of subjects, I have still to find one that google says has any links to it at all. If any links to a site, especially relevant ones, make a difference to ranking why are the high ranking sites showing no links to them? Anybody know?

Colin Martin

#12 06-06-06 14:17:13

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Colin,

If you use the Google "who links to you" facility, ( link:www.bigredl.co.uk )you will see it only picks up a few of the inbound links you actually have. They also change from month to month, which to my mind indicates that links are not being crawled (properly?) or that sites containing the links need to be resubmitted, or perhaps that they don't give much weighting to them at all.

Who knows :? :?

Regards,

#13 06-06-06 20:38:18

Panjandrumbuilder

Hi folks,

Good to see that the rabid has been replaced by the thoughtful. I had thought that honestly expressed views were welcome on these forums. Anyway...

Message to Phil Cope. Phil, hope you don't mind but having read your post, which was not abusive, I had a look at the source code behind your 'Home' and other pages. Your meta tags are gobbledy-gook. These need to be replaced with both "Keyword" and "Content" descriptions in English, particularly your 'Home' page.

Your adsense and other selling links are, if I might make so bold, over the top. Having said all that, your site has great potential for really getting up-there in the page rankings. You have the right idea, but, you're over-doing it somewhat.

My advice may be a little undervalued, per the other posts in this thread, but here are some additional things that you might try. I do them and I am ranked in the top 10 UK sites (Google) for education, driving instruction, Manchester, UK.

1. See to those meta tags as above. If you don't know how to do this, pm me.
2. Put a robots.txt file in the root direcdtory of your web. If you don't know how to do this, pm me.
3. Register your business with the UK Motoring Directory.
4. Register your business with regiochannel.
5. On 7th July 2006, I'll put a URL in this thread so that you'll be able to see my web stats for just May 2006, showing a) the web robots that have visited my site at www.wannadrive.co.uk during the month, and b) the search-engine referred sessions, and what the searchers were searching for.

Cheers for now 

#14 06-06-06 20:48:08

Panjandrumbuilder

By the way Big Red, your source code is completely invisible. Your site is spam as far as the search engines are concerned, so, don't blame the bots.

#15 06-06-06 21:32:03

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by invisible :? Perhaps you can explain.

If you type in any phrase from any page from my site, for instance www.bigredl.co.uk/cars.htm and the phrase "They are never thrashed or driven harshly" then Google or any of the engines will pick it up.

For my key phrases such as "driving school in Kent" we come out at no. 1 on Google almost everytime. Each page is optimised with different phrases and down here in Kent we end up on front page of almost everything.

Our webstats at http://www.bigredl.co.uk/temp.htm  show that we are getting plenty of visits. (Visits from the robots are stripped out to give a truer count of visitors.)

As a result I'm convinced that my site is very visible to the robots and is definitely moving in the right direction.

Regards,

#16 06-06-06 22:19:42

Panjandrumbuilder

"They are never thrashed or driven harshly!!!" I'm not surprised that the engines find you so easily, as long as you type in those exact search terms.

As to Google, and driving instructors, Kent, there are actually only around 5 driving schools in Kent on page 1. The rest are either directories or booking services nationwide.

My point was that your Web design service has used meta tags - "Keywords" and "description" on their own web site, but have hidden the source code from view on your site. Not in keeping with HTML netiquette.

As to your web stats, if you can't demonstrate both bot visits and search terms, they're a complete waste of time, particularly as you write to former pupils asking them to post on your site. Such files pad-out your stats, but mean nothing in statistical terms.

#17 07-06-06 09:30:51

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I used the specific phrase to demonstrate that every page has been clocked by the robots and is not spam.

On the google search for  - driving instructors kent we are number 1 & 2, we also appear in each of the directories on pages 1 and 2. you just can't get away from The Big Red L Company in Kent!

The 'web design' service you speak about is me. I can't work out what you're saying about using stuff on their own website but hidden on mine - now that's just not making any sense.

And finally my webstats do show all of the things you mentioned and much more, but I didn't want to include that.

I suppose the proof that the web site is working is the amount of customers we generate, which is now enough to currently keep busy our 21 cars - up from 13 at this time last year. This is purely on hard work based on SEO advice from Jonks. I've still a way to go but please stop being negative, I'm open to good constructive advice at any time, but you just don't seem to be helping much.

Regards,

#18 07-06-06 10:34:21

Panjandrumbuilder

Didn't think I was being negative big red. Perhaps I phrased my contribution badly. What I don't understand is why you have optimised your web site for Kent. I would imagine that prospective customers will type - driving instructors in Canterbury or wherever, but not a whole county, notwithstanding that your business might cover the whole county.

Anyway, as promised I have uploaded my web stats for May 06, which you can find at www.wannadrive.co.uk/may061.htm - there are 3 pages which can be reached from links at the foot of each page. My original post in this thread was concerned with using Adsense on my sites and how I felt it benefitted my business. The concensus was that it wasn't a good idea and that it wouldn't impact on my referrals. OK.

#19 07-06-06 13:07:05

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

I've only optimised my front page for the phrase - driving school in kent.

Most of the 200 other pages have been optimised for the towns we work in or for other search phrases.

So for example if you search for - driving school in Folkestone, or driving instructor in Folkestone or driving lessons in Folkestone (or change the name of the town to any other kent town) and we always seem to have a front page listing on Google, and Yahoo and MSN.

There are other phrases that we have used as well based around the theory test, show me tell me, driving test and so forth.

You will also see we have about 18 'feeder' sites www.folkestonedrivingschool.co.uk etc which also get listed.

Our plan is to attain 25 instructors this year and a further 15 next year. To acheive this I know I have got to improve the amount of pupils booking lessons. We seem to be getting enough visitors but have to improve the 'conversion rate' of from about 1% of visitors to 2%. So my next phase is changing the content to have a better standard of advertising copy and a clearer 'call to action' response mechanism.

Good luck with it all.

Regards,

#20 10-06-06 00:06:16

jonks

I will add that using descriptions and keywords in meta tags is common practice and good ethical seo. Just because meta tags are hidden in the source code doesnt make it bad practice, the search engines use the meta tags to form their results and far prefer sites that use them, to those that dont.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#21 05-01-08 20:28:36

andikay
Verified Member
Website

Hi All,

We have now launched our new web sites. Within a week we have got to the top of page 3 in MSN on a search for "driving schools". As you may be aware to get recognised by the almighty Google you need loads of relevant links. We will happily put links to other schools on our sites for the same in return.

Our only exceptions are where we operate in the same area of the country and we don't accept banners because they are rumoured not to impress the googlebots.

Looking for good links for my site Maltby Driving School

#22 06-01-08 01:34:59

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Hi Colin, I like the professional appearance of your site - it's very "clean", and consistent in layout.

Sadly, I am still having problems with my own site. For a long time I haven't been able to access it reliably, because my broadband setup gives me a different isp address every time I use it, and the server which hosts my site will only accept access from a particular address. Or that's how I understand what the problem is.
The server "blew up" a few weeks ago during a storm, the host reloaded my site but they used an old version, the only one they had available.
So now, not only can I not access my own site, but the stuff already there is an amateurish design with outdated info on it.
Looks like I'll have to update my site by putting it on a disc and SNAIL MAILING it to the ISP again. Frustrating!!!!!

I have been contacted by site owners in UK & Australia at various times for link sharing, but my ongoing problems have prevented me from doing anything.
I'll advise when my site is back to normal, in case any site owners are interested in swapping links with an overseas site.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#23 06-01-08 02:16:35

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Colin Martin wrote:

Hi All,

6 posts and advertising your website...................... thats nice

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#24 06-01-08 12:04:23

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Hi Colin, I like the professional appearance of your site - it's very "clean", and consistent in layout.

Sadly, I am still having problems with my own site. For a long time I haven't been able to access it reliably, because my broadband setup gives me a different isp address every time I use it, and the server which hosts my site will only accept access from a particular address. Or that's how I understand what the problem is.
The server "blew up" a few weeks ago during a storm, the host reloaded my site but they used an old version, the only one they had available.
So now, not only can I not access my own site, but the stuff already there is an amateurish design with outdated info on it.
Looks like I'll have to update my site by putting it on a disc and SNAIL MAILING it to the ISP again. Frustrating!!!!!

I have been contacted by site owners in UK & Australia at various times for link sharing, but my ongoing problems have prevented me from doing anything.
I'll advise when my site is back to normal, in case any site owners are interested in swapping links with an overseas site.

If you work the same as us on a domestic line you have 'Dynamic Host Control Protocol' DHCP which means that every time you connect to the internet what is known as your IP (internet protocol) address will change on your computer and/or router.

To find your current one try http://whatismyip.com/.

Everything on the internet is known by a set of numbers like this and a domain name like thebrightredl.co.uk is linked to the set of numbers in a big database in the sky called nominet so sites are easier to access.

We have our own server with the booking and instructor diaries on it. So the instructors could access it we couldn't have the IP address constantly changing on our server as we would have to tell them each time it did so they could log on. They use the IP address not any domain name to get to it. We had to upgrade the line to a full business service Broadband with a fixed IP address. Expensive but necessary.

That said our web page is purely in the hands of professional designers and as long as it looks good, does the job and is there we have very little to do with it except pay the bills.

Colin Martin

#25 06-01-08 16:19:19

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

andikay wrote:
Colin Martin wrote:

Hi All,

6 posts and advertising your website...................... thats nice

6 posts in May 2006 if you notice!....over 1000 now when you make your "comment" but hey who's counting...*sigh*

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

Board footer