You are not logged in.

#1 24-11-07 21:15:00

infectedcat

BRAND NEW BUT IM NOT SMILEING

hi i finally had my first breakdown. clutch problem.

it had to be replaced when i bought the car but i was told it would last another 6 to 12 months hahaha
had the car 2 weeks and i couldnt go no more than 10mph in 3rd gear.

so im advised by my sisters husband to take it to a man he knows.
he replaced the clutch and i came down to pick my car up. i started to move off in 1st gear and the car jumps like its about to stall (as the clutch lifts up)
as the car is in motion from 1st gear i change to second and i can feel my self jolt forward a little. anyway i tested it for about 5 mins then went back to the garage and he said that it will take a few weeks to die down. now im aware that when u get a new clutch fitted there is some sort of hardness with a new  clutch.

but what im experiencing cant be right. im starting to wonder that 160 quid to replace a clutch is too good to be true.

anyway im taking it back to him on sunday so to boost me with certainty can anyone tell me that this is not normal?

thanx

24-11-07 21:15:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: BRAND NEW BUT IM NOT SMILEING

#2 24-11-07 21:21:51

Lucky245
Verified Member

At the price you quote I assume you just changed the plate rather than the whole clutch release bearing etc, this will take time to settle especially if the adjustment is not correct which I also suspect, but to be honest it would have been false economy as the bearing will probably follow suit soon after and the clutch housing will fail sooner or later incurring more expense.   A comment I would say to all people getting a clutch change from an un guaranteed source (an even them if you want to be really safe) is can I see the old clutch parts.  There should be at least 3.  Yes I know people can show you anything but if they show you these and then you need to get it fixed they can't recharge you for the same parts.

PS ex mechanic of 15 years

"Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean its wrong!!!"

RoADA Gold

#3 24-11-07 21:37:16

infectedcat

yeah he did show me my old clutch and was explain something that i didnt understand but i thought the car was fixed so i didnt pay much attention.

it was only until later on that i started to assume that this cant be right and what he told me might be true but i cant wait a few weeks for the clutch to settle down.

and i think you are probably right he has only changed the plate because thats the only thing he showed me.

thanx for all the info...anyone else reading this please give more opinions/info.

thank you

#4 25-11-07 07:09:54

ExAdiNigel

Can he drive it without any problems?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 28-12-07 18:36:22

abrocky
Verified Member
Website

thats not right at all, i replaced the clutch (full kit mind you) on my girlfriends car...the clutch was heavier, but did not jump one bit... all i used was the haynes manual.. oh and tools before i get some silly remark!!

#6 28-12-07 19:13:03

Dimmy

Ah yes, Abrocky, but you bought the perfect clutch.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 28-12-07 19:28:46

VandADI
Administrator

Ah yes, Abrocky, but you bought the perfect clutch.

From a perfect garage  big_smile

#8 30-12-07 19:26:34

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

Dear Cat
Happy new year and may the infection clear up soon !
As clutches wear, the travell, ie. the amount/height that you raise the clutch before it engages the "bite" gets higher, till you raise the clutch to the top and it starts to "slip". This means that the pedal is at the top, but no power is being transferred to the drive. hence 10mph in 3rd.

Compare your clutch to a pair of shoes. New shoes, new soles, nice and thick. As you wear the shoes the soles get thinner. The clutch has two plates that wear like the soles of your shoes. When the clutch is new the plates are thicker so you need to raise the pedal less before they touch. Therefore when you change the clutch it will engage near the floor. You are used to bringing the clutch to the top before you move. If you do this with the new clutch you will engage massive amounts of power in one hit and jump forward as you described. Try hardly raising the clutch, and very slowly. This will work unless the mechanic has mis-fitted the clutch.
Good luck
Jon

Board footer