You are not logged in.

#1 22-03-06 15:57:19

Karl
Verified Member

who do i choose red or bsm for trainee licence?

had a chat with red today about a trainee licence, seemed decent enough, has anyone had a trainee licence with them, good or bad please let me know, I'm speaking to BSM tomorrow, gonna make make my decision with these two, who would you recommend and why,  Cheers

Karl

Part 1- 93% and 67
Part 2- 2 Minors
Part 3- Passed 20th Dec 4/5 2006

22-03-06 15:57:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: who do i choose red or bsm for trainee licence?

#2 22-03-06 15:59:41

luchell

Neither really. It depends on what sort of package you go on. Full time of part time which will you be doing?

Before signing anything take the contract home with you for the night. Are there no other small local schools that take pinks we have a few around me and they do brilliant franchise deals. Ask around a few more companies and take contracts home before finally signing on the dotted line.

#3 22-03-06 16:04:56

Karl
Verified Member

Ive got the red contract here to read, what sort of things should i be looking for, i only want to do 20 hours a week.  It does not seem to bad really but its the first one of seen and i don't know if its good or not

Part 1- 93% and 67
Part 2- 2 Minors
Part 3- Passed 20th Dec 4/5 2006

#4 22-03-06 16:08:33

luchell

Just make sure you know how much you will be paying and what you will be getting for your money. How many pupils will they find you? What if they dont? Ask away anything you can think of whilst you're with them. How much notice do you have to give when you leave, how long is the contract for any more than 6 months and i wouldnt touch it.

Will the company have plenty of advertising going included in your franchise fee to get the pupil in. Did you want to use your own car if you have one or are you happy to use the companies

#5 22-03-06 16:15:29

evan

Agree with all the above comments, but also see what help they are going to give you with studying for part 3. Don't go in thinking they are doing you any big favours, they are making money from you, get something back for the Pink Licence. Who is sponsoring you are they prepared to spend time doing some training session with you, will they sit in on the odd lesson, perhaps role play for you. Make sure you get good experience and extra training from this licence it will serve you well if you use it right Ev.

#6 23-03-06 18:12:33

Macca
Verified Member

Hi Karl

Try to speak to any Red or BSM instructors in your area before you decide. You will need a school that will have a flexible franchise as you only want to work 20 hours. I don't think RED will allow this so you will have to pay £250 ish per week even though you only want half a weeks work.

Hope this helps.

#7 23-03-06 23:21:16

butt2
Verified Member

Just a thought.  Have you tried any of the local schools rather than the nationals.  It might be worth a phone round just to see whether anybody is looking for a trainee and what they are offerring.

#8 25-03-06 23:01:54

sw
Verified Member

It's true what Macca says the franchise with Red is £250 a week, no part time option so you need to teach about 12 hours a week to break even and that's before petrol. There's nothing to stop you doing 20 hours a week if you can support yourself like that. The pink should be used to learn and not earn, but we all have to live and so it depends on your personal circumstances. I start with Red soon, so will soon find out what the support's actually like. BSM referred my details to the local centre and it took them a month to even return my call after calling them twice and so I gave up. The notice period on either side is 3 weeks so if the worse came to the worse.....

#9 25-03-06 23:28:47

christab11
Verified Member

Just thought i would add my bit, I started with Red last Monday and they are very slow coming through with the pupils. But, i don't know what you have been told where I am they aren't charging a franchise fee for the first week, 80 the 2nd week,160 the 3rd and 250 the 4th week so that gives you a chance to build up you pupils, If your expecting a influx of pupils from day one then it won't happen.
Like you I'm using it as a training opportunity so so long as i cover my expenses and make a bit for my efforts that'll do till I hopefully pass my part 3 then it might be time for a rethink.
Which area do you in and please don't say Enfield, it's slow enough down here..lol. Only kidding. I have managed to generate some of my own pupils too so i'm not doing too bad.
Good luck which ever way you chose to go.

Chris

Progress so far:
Part 1: Passed.  9/12/05
Part 2: passed. 12/01/06
Part 3: Passed. 7/6/06

#10 27-03-06 21:26:23

sw
Verified Member

I start with them in 2 weeks time. I received a text today with details of a pupil! WooHoo!! Shame it's about 15 miles away and an area I hardly know but I guess to start with I can't be too fussy. Going to phone the lady tomorrow as the date they've provisionally given her is a week before my licence starts! Going to have to drive over there at some point to look at the local roads so that i've got an idea where we'll be going.

#11 27-03-06 21:35:51

christab11
Verified Member

Good luck, I'm in my second week now and and have had 4 pupils off them, I'm sure things will speed up though. 15 miles is a bit of a way to travel but it's all good training.
Make sure you ask your pupils to refer any friends they have direct to you and not for them to go through Red, if they do someone else might end up with them. Good luck and have fun.... Chris

Progress so far:
Part 1: Passed.  9/12/05
Part 2: passed. 12/01/06
Part 3: Passed. 7/6/06

#12 30-03-06 21:18:20

sw
Verified Member

I drove over there yesterday with my brother to see where this pupil lives and to try and work out where i'll be taking him. There's no where quiet without parked cars and so have got to look into it a bit more. I know of a nursery area but it's about 5 or 6 miles away and what with traffic could take half an hour to get there easily. I sent him a letter confirming his lesson date and time as had to re-arrange the one that the school gave him (my licence doesnt start until a week after the date they gave him!) and to confirm lesson price etc. Nerves are starting to kick in a bit now and am still 10 days away!

#13 18-12-07 08:36:47

maders
Verified Member
Website

I have been working with BSM for the last month and i have no complaints at all, i have a full time job which i work funny shifts. They have managed to get some clients in on my days off, which is great i have 7 pupils on my books already, i dont work that many hours per week which is good, for me. Btw the 2, its hard to decide depending on what you want out of it, i want the experiecne of teaching, which this gives you without the hassle of the buisness side. I would say go for BSM, as RED is part of the driving instructor college and i dont rate them that much really. but at the end of the day it all depends on what you want.

'be driven to success'

#14 19-12-07 02:43:19

jaspersplace
Verified Member

if you've no complaints then stick with who you know. I do know that RED will ask you to do some of your own promo stuff ie hand out leaflets in supermarket car park. Thats fine as long as you are happy with generating your own leads. My understanding of a franchise is that the dchool is there to sort all that out for you.

At least with BSM they are widely recognised and so pupils shouldn't be a problem. 7 in 1 month is not a lot tho. And how is the lack of pupils reflected in the franchise ? Do you still pay the same even they are failing you in their promises ?

Jasps

#15 19-12-07 07:43:10

bigfala
Verified Member

With BSM a whole lot depends upon what the branch is like and how the manager manages.

They are expensive but I understand that they have now developed various packages to suit different needs instead of their 'one size fits all' attitude in the past.

BSM have good back up if you make full use of it and they are a credible organisation with a national reputation.  Stick with them

From waht I have seen of Red in this area I would not get involved with them.  Dont like the black and red anyway. Tried keeping a black car clean?

B

#16 19-12-07 11:05:35

billrhoades
Verified Member

I wouldnt touch any of the major schools. All they want is your money!!
Ask RED what there 1st time pass rate is on part3, have heard its 7%. Red being a part of the instructor college.
BSM apparently is a good training school, but again how much do they want from YOU ??
Look for a local school to sponsor you.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#17 20-12-07 18:46:24

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

i have just read all the posts here
i have found it very intresting .   with my local school its £205 a week franchise and they give you the pupils but they said i cant have my own pupils it has to go throught school .

em xx

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

#18 21-12-07 07:58:41

corsa
Verified Member
Website

i started out with red not much help as regards training for green badge had me driving miles from my area to get pupils better of trying a local school just to get u started then get green badge and go on your own thats my best advice

if in doubt don t pull out
www.cartuition.co.uk

#19 31-03-08 10:42:12

Cat8t3
Verified Member

I am considering Systematic when i have finished my training (which i havent even started yet), there franchise fee is 6 x a lesson rate for a 3yr contract, 7.5 x a lesson rate for a 2yr contract and 8 x a lesson rate for a 12 month contract. You can get your own pupils, they advertise in the local paper for your area, they do all your leafets and posters, have 1/2 price book keeping services, etc. You also get 4 weeks holiday a year - so no franchise fee for this time. When you start you get 3 weeks start up free. Then i think it 1 x lesson raet on the 4th week, 2 x lesson rate on the 5th week  and so on until the 10th week, when you start paying your full weekly fees.

I do need to look into a bit more and call the local ADI who already work for them but they do work all over the country. If you wanted to have a look smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#20 31-03-08 11:00:17

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

NEVER GET YOURSELF TIED IN TO A CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once you've seen one post of woe from an instructor stuck in a contract that they can't afford to pay because they haven't received the back up or customers from the franchise, you never want to see another one.

Please steer clear of anyone who will try to charge you for another 6 months if you want to leave.

Any more than 1 month is excessive.

Remember that you are not being employed by these guys - you are a customer.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#21 31-03-08 12:17:25

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

I am considering Systematic when i have finished my training (which i havent even started yet), there franchise fee is 6 x a lesson rate for a 3yr contract, 7.5 x a lesson rate for a 2yr contract and 8 x a lesson rate for a 12 month contract. You can get your own pupils, they advertise in the local paper for your area, they do all your leafets and posters, have 1/2 price book keeping services, etc. You also get 4 weeks holiday a year - so no franchise fee for this time. When you start you get 3 weeks start up free. Then i think it 1 x lesson raet on the 4th week, 2 x lesson rate on the 5th week  and so on until the 10th week, when you start paying your full weekly fees.

I do need to look into a bit more and call the local ADI who already work for them but they do work all over the country. If you wanted to have a look smile

I remember several threads on another forum about Systematic...

Systematic UK
franchise rip offs - warning!
ever hopeful for a way out of my contract!
Which school?

I have no personal experience of this company, but I do strongly urge you to read the experiences of other driving instructors with this company detailed in the four threads above...

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#22 31-03-08 16:15:40

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Ok, so after reading that it has pu me wright off. I will probably train with the guy still as he ha his own school  he did tell me that i could train with him with out being tied into anything. But i will double check that. Thanks for those links.

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

Board footer