You are not logged in.

#1 06-12-07 22:12:34

canagoon
Verified Member

advice needed for part two adi test

Hi, thought i had posted this the other day, but cannot find it so apologies if i have done it twice.  Am still getting used to this forum..

Basically i need some advice please.

I am taking me part two next week and I have been having problems with the bay parking, a driving instructor told me to use stickers on the car doors which i have done and they are a tremendous help and can now do bay parking like a pro.

My question is, can i keep these stickers on my doors for the part two test, or will the examiner go crazy and cancel the test or fail me for having to need the stickers??

any help would be very welcome.

Cheers

06-12-07 22:12:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: advice needed for part two adi test

#2 06-12-07 22:22:29

driver69

Others will probably give a more knowledgeable reply, but I don`t think you would fail for having them but it would look bad.  After all you are supposed to be doing and advanced test and should be able to do such manouvres without the aid of stickers.

Is there no where on the door, such as a the handle or a bit of trim that you can line up? Then the examiner won`t know that you are using a marker.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 06-12-07 22:25:14

Lynne
Verified Member

HI Canagoon

If you can now bay park like a pro, why do you still need the stickers?  You must know your focal points by now... :?

I have never used stickers to teach my pupils.  Depending on their height/seating position sometimes they see things in a slightly different part of the window.  I know where the focal points are for me.  I then ask them where it is for them?  They can all park without stickers!

Wouldn't it look more professional to show you know bay park well enough not to need them?   Just my opinion. 

Good luck for part 2

#4 06-12-07 22:26:02

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

why not use a pencil to put a small mark in place of stickers less obvious then, as driver said ur taking an advanced test so stickers may not look good for u  neutral

#5 06-12-07 22:34:16

driver69

Canagoon, how do you bay park normally?  If you can do it in the shopping centre or whereever then there should be no difference for the test.

Maybe I am wrong but it sounds like your trainer is used to teaching learners and not part 2 candidates.

Best of luck with the test.

#6 06-12-07 23:35:25

Luchell
Verified Member

No need for white tape, tippex, pencil/pen marking, sticky colour markers . Get a set of small round blindspot mirrors do NOT stare simply look into them as part of your all round observations. Then you can use judgement. When i learnt in 1996 my instructor did stickers and  tippex and wasn't i totally in a mess when his car wasn't available for my test   roll  roll All i could drive was a 3 door 205 with stickers :x My pupils can drive ANY car they have not been taught to drive a Suzuki swift. When my car was out of action just before one of my pupils tests i took my partners fiesta, she was able to use the judgement we had worked on along with the info she could get from the little round blindspot mirror on his car which allows them a clearer picture of how close/far they are from the kerb and to see both white lines when bay parking which makes it dead easy. (Again NO staring in it needs to be used as part of your all round effective observations)  smile

Yes i realise you are not trying to teach pupils with stickers BUT part two sets us up for teaching and i for one wouldn't be very impressed if my instructor was teaching me by stickers  neutral

The ones i have are the same as this, my pupils often get themselves a set as well as my own mother since as she finds reversing so difficult bless her. Now she doesn't. 

I have the two inch ones on this link

http://www.rcmmarketing.co.uk/shop/system/index.html

Everyone has different ways of doing things so i am sure more ideas will be mentioned these are just my thoughts on the matter  smile

Reference points are different because i teach my pupils how to work them out for themselves, that's dead easy. They can then transfer this knowledge to ANY car as they now know how to get themselves a reference. Has your part two trainer gone through how to establish reference points for yourself so you may after pass this on to your own pupils?

#7 09-12-07 19:39:45

canagoon
Verified Member

hey guys thanks...

yea i realise that they look bad and for every other manouevre i am fine... i just have a major achilles heel with bay parking.

unfortunately my doors interior are plain so there are no little guides i can use for reference.

i just dont want to risk failing the test again because of two little dam stickers...

I shall have to look to see if I can get something really really discrete that only i can see..

any other ideas welcome

#8 10-12-07 08:28:02

1stgear
Verified Member

Hi
has your trainer not given you advice and training to easy perfect this area dr? you certainly shouldnt be taking a part 2 yet if you are struggling with the parking. how soon is the test? get yourself to a car park and practice like hell until the penny has dropped. i am an instructor trainer and i always ensure the client knows fully what is expected. where are you based?
like others have said..... stickers? urrrrgh

#9 10-12-07 09:16:05

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

It's slightly concerning that someone who is training someone for part 2 is as unprofessional as to suggest stickers.

#10 10-12-07 09:23:50

Dimmy

Nothing in the guidelines to say stickers, markers or any other reference point is not allowed, nor is there anything in the guidelines that suggests that the SE "frowning" on the use of stickers or markers will lead to a DF  smile

for a PDI to require such reference point markers would suggest to me a lack of confidence in their own abilities, or perhaps a lack of understanding of positioning.

You dont actually say what it is about the bay parking that you have issues with, perhaps you could post back with more details so others can guide you more.

For a trainer to recommend or even support the use of reference point stickers suggests to me a lack of core comp ability or willingness to apply core comps to your situation.

It is a reversing exercise so the basic skills required will be
a) Effective all round OBSERVATIONS.
b) Reasonable CONTROL.
c) Reasonable ACCURACY.

<Dimmy goes for overkill and lights touch paper without standing well back. Flaming posts are bound to follow  :evil: >

Some things to try.  (Take a skilled driver with you and get them to carry out full observations while you do the following, to free up your concentration on the manouevre itself).
1.Can you reverse in a straight line and stop your car in a bay by only looking through the back window? If not familiarise yourself with doing this by driving forwards and backwards using this method until it becomes second nature.
Can you reverse in a straight line and stop your car in a bay by only loonking in each door mirror?
2.If not familiarise yourself with doing this by driving forwards and backwards using this method until it becomes second nature.
3.Repeat 1+2 from slightly different angles, starting with positions in front of adjacent bays. Gradually increase the angle/distance away from target bay.
4. Eventually you will be starting from a position where the target bay is not visible in the rear window or mirrors so view it from any window and manouevre whilst in reverse until you can see it in the rear window/mirrors.
5. Gradually build in effective all round observations and taking your positional cues from the rear window/mirrors by glancing in the mirrors whilst carrying out the all round observations.

tips.
1. Use what space is available to position the car in such a way that requires least steering for the reverse part of the manouevre. This means being able to drive forwards and steer away from the target bay and identify when to straighten the car up with the rear of the car aiming into the bay.
2. Understand the relationship between the rear wheel and the end of the  bay line and what turning arc the rear wheels take when steering and reversing. Do not underestimate this knowledge of your car.
3. Practice makes perfect. If you have your own car then practice as much as is possible. Before each attempt, have a plan on what you intend to do with the controls and when you intend to use them based on what you can see during the manouevre. This will familiarise yourself with the cause and effect of your steering and speed control demands.

final self test of ability.
find an empty car park, and have a skilled driver with you to ensure your taking effective observations.
1.Drive forwards into a bay.
2. By using reverse gear only, reverse out of the bay and reverse back into the same bay. If you can perform this 10 times (5 by turning left, and 5 by turning right) whilst maintaining Effective Observations throughout, you will have demonstrated to yourself a high degree of skilled reverse driving far beyond that which is required on the test.

Of course, you could simply try using KISS and ignore all the above, stop the car parallel with the front of the bays, about 1mtre away and with your vehicle positioned in such a way that your shoulder is in the middle of the bay, 2 bays beyond the target bay, apply full lock and reverse into the target bay with very little judgement required (provided there is sufficinet number of bays in car park to allow for this starting position). this method will get you parked in a bay, but you sure as hell wont be able to identify or assist your future pupils with their bay parking issues.

#11 11-12-07 07:08:41

hector
Verified Member
Website

Just line up one of the lines in the middle of passenger or driver window and reverse back slowly appying full lock left or right and you will be in the middle of the third bay down.
Why on earth would you need stickers and the like . A learner can pick this up in five minutes!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#12 11-12-07 10:08:03

Luchell
Verified Member

If they are taught in a way they can understand. I am wondering why this persons trainer hasn't helped them  neutral

Board footer