You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 05-12-07 22:15:28

learnerdriver

Is it worth me doing Pass Plus?

I have been driving quite a lot in the last few months and have had a couple advanced lessons on motorways etc. I was wondering if I should do pass plus (i'm a bit of a certificate collector and intend to do some advanced driving courses for fun!). What would pass plus teach me that I hadn't already covered on lessons? My ADI didn't believe in pass plus, but he taught me dual carriageways, country driving, city driving during learner lessons; since passing as I mentioned I had motorway lessons and have driven on the motorway several times on my own without incident.

Should I do pass plus or should I aim at looking at some of the other things out there: Rospa Iam etc?

Your views would be appreciated.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url

05-12-07 22:15:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Is it worth me doing Pass Plus?

#2 05-12-07 23:14:42

Karenadi
Verified Member

You never stop learning: plus the benefit of reduced insurance cover should be an incentive to do Pass Plus.

If you have only recently passed your test, then this would be a stepping stone towards gaining the necessary experience towards Rospa etc etc.  Don't forget that these advanced tests are not only a far far higher standard than the L test, they also adopt different systems of driving.

The first thing that you are going to need is experience. 

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#3 05-12-07 23:27:04

learnerdriver

Reduced insurance won't apply to me as i'm a 33 female geriatric !! I cannot honestly see anything in the pass plus test which I haven't covered on lessons. I have been driving for nearly four months now and I am learning everyday: the day I stop learning I will give up driving!! I still cannot see anything in pass plus that my old ADI did not cover. Maybe I have taken on his predjudices though as he didn't believe in PP he believed that it should be scrapped and the learning test should be more about driving for life than driving to pass a test: I don't know?

At present I'm swaying towards saving my money, getting experience and then doing an advanced course in future: thanks for your reply though would like to keep hearing them!

event.png
[/url

#4 05-12-07 23:40:22

Karenadi
Verified Member

He couldn't of covered everything in the learning process as there is always something new to learn.  I've been driving for 30 years and an ADI for 8 years: I'm still learning to drive now!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 06-12-07 06:48:10

ExAdiNigel

Reduced insurance won't apply to me as i'm a 33 female geriatric !! ....

Pass Plus can get reduced insurance for ANY new driver, so it is worth phoning your insurance company and ask how much they will reduce your insurance by if you do Pass Plus.  If they say none, then tell them you will look for someone who will give you a discount - it may just tip the balance in your favour!

What you learn on Pass Plus really depends on the individual instructor, some instructors bring in map reading and sat nav use and the delegate will plan a route and then follow it.  Some instructors will bring in elements from the RoSPA / IAM tests into Pass Plus.  Do the following terms mean anything to you?   Limit or Vanishing point?  Escape Routes?  With regard to motorways, 'Three-in-a-bed'?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 06-12-07 10:50:22

learnerdriver

Thanks for the advice I think I'll put pp on my christmas list that way I wont have to pay for it myself anyway big_smile

Nigel: the mapreading skills would be a good thing for me to learn, even using a sat-nav it took me 4 hours to get from wiltshire to shropshire due to getting lost the other day  roll Understood some of what your talking about but not much!! big_smile

ps: can you do it in your own car? as I don't fancy having to get used to someone elses?

event.png
[/url

#7 06-12-07 18:09:01

Karenadi
Verified Member

I wouldn't take anyone in their own car: plus the experience of driving different cars is just as good for you as the driving experience gained.

#8 06-12-07 19:52:59

ExAdiNigel

You mention Wiltshire, so where are you based?

Yes you can do it in your own car, but a great deal depends on you finding an instructor who is prepared to do that.  I would strongly advise against you previous instructor, if he doesn't believe in Pass Plus himself, then he may struggle to give a good Pass Plus course.

I am in Swindon if that is anywhere close to you.  Luchell (Hayley) is in Salisbury and I'm sure there are some others fairly close to hand, only I'm having a senior moment and can't think of them just now!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#9 06-12-07 21:59:43

learnerdriver

Hi Nigel I live in Trowbridge: so probably not in your area range! That's a shame, I drive around swindon a lot as it's where I was born and my mum still lives in Westlea it's a small world  isn't it!!

Thanks for all your help though much appreciated.

event.png
[/url

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 06-12-07 22:08:11

learnerdriver

I wouldn't take anyone in their own car: plus the experience of driving different cars is just as good for you as the driving experience gained.

I think you may have a point there for example I learnt to drive in a Ford Fiesta Style and that's the car I bought in July as well so I probably have a bit of a fear about driving another type of car!! When I had motorway lessons I had them in my own car, however my ADI knew me and knew he wouldn't need dual controls. As i'll have to find someone else to do pass plus with I wouldn't expect them to just trust my driving; even though my  old ADI never had to use duals on me in learner lessons, they won't know that!!

event.png
[/url

#11 06-12-07 22:15:51

Karenadi
Verified Member

It's not about dual controls: my car is set up: mirrors, insurance, breakdown cover, ADI badge,  diagrams etc etc etc.  I'd have to transfer everything over and then back again.  Plus that, no  disrespect, but I know my car is well maintained and up to the job: I'm not saying your car isn't: but how do we know that it is: when was it last serviced?  How well do you  maintain it? Do you check your tyres, oil, water every week?  I check mine every other day!

It's like you said: another ADI doesn't know anything about you or your car.

#12 06-12-07 22:24:19

learnerdriver

It's not about dual controls: my car is set up: mirrors, insurance, breakdown cover, ADI badge,  diagrams etc etc etc.  I'd have to transfer everything over and then back again.  Plus that, no  disrespect, but I know my car is well maintained and up to the job: I'm not saying your car isn't: but how do we know that it is: when was it last serviced?  How well do you  maintain it? Do you check your tyres, oil, water every week?  I check mine every other day!

It's like you said: another ADI doesn't know anything about you or your car.

lol I get the message for the record he's called Freddie he is less than a year old. He is cleaned thoroughly once a week, was serviced May 2007 (just before I bought him) I check tyres, oil and water once a week, fully taxed and insured (i'm a solicitor so would be shot) and I love him to bits cos he's my first ever car!!

On a serious note I wouldn't expect an ADI who doesn't know me to just jump in my car anyway: maybe I need to learn to drive something other than a Ford Fiesta. Any ADI's in Trowbridge with a red Ferrari? I loved Magnum PI as a child.

event.png
[/url

#13 06-12-07 22:40:07

Karenadi
Verified Member

Ferrari?  Lol.  I wish.

My post wasn't personal: it was a generalisation.  There will of course be ADI's that would be more than happy to go in your car.  I'm only speaking for myself.

I took my son for his pass plus in his own car: it was the first time he had the chance to drive it.

#14 06-12-07 22:50:17

learnerdriver

Don't worry I knew you were big_smile I think it would be good for me to drive a different car anyway as knowing the way I am i'll convince myself that a Fiesta is the only thing I can drive!! yikes

event.png
[/url

Board footer