You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 23-11-07 20:06:32

johnnyfr
Verified Member
Website

Lancs County Council Fleet Course

Living in Lancashire, I have enquired about doing the DSA Accredited Fleet Trainer course offered by Lancashire County Council. The cost is £725 for the 5 day course.
Just wondered if anyone out there could either recommend the course, or indeed put me off it.
I am also considering ROSPA's course at £1000+Vat but I'm struggling to compare the 2 ie. whether or not firms recognise the council course and which route might end up being more worthwhile in the long run for being able to generate work.
Any comments / advice / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

DSA ADI (car) -- DSA Fleet Driver Trainer [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk/grade6adi.php]Grade 6[/URL] -- ORDIT Registered Trainer
Level 4 PTLLS, Rospa Gold, NVQ Level 3 Driving Instruction, A1 Assessors Award, [URL=http://www.brake.org.uk]Brake[/URL] Road Safety Ambassador, DIA Taxi Trainer.
Visit us for [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk]Driving Lessons[/URL] or [URL=http://www.accufleet.co.uk]Fleet Driver Training[/URL]

23-11-07 20:06:32

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Lancs County Council Fleet Course

#2 24-11-07 09:42:14

jonnmedds
Verified Member

Hi
Not sure about the council run course but i do know that fleet training companies tend to recognise the RoSPA course more than any others. I've emailed several companies to enquire about providing me with work and quite a few have specified that i need the RoSPA diploma (which i have'nt).

#3 24-11-07 21:47:10

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Hi Johnnyfr

I was on the last course that Lancs Road Safety ran in September.  I went there because my local road safety guys spoke very highly of them and I work for a council owned company.  They have a very good reputation in the council road safety circles.

I can only but say it was excellent.  Hard work and demanding, with four assessments on the last day.  But it was very well run, with excellent trainers and well structured.  There were ten candidates on our course and everyone thought it was good and learnt lots from it.  It was certainly no picnic, we were all working each evening getting prepared for the next day.

The price seems to have increased a little, but I thought that I had good value.

Please feel free to pm me if you would more info.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

#4 03-12-07 16:22:39

THEDRIVER
Verified Member

Hi Guys

I too have completed my Fleet Training with Lancashire County Council.  I must say what a hard working team they have there and how much effort was put into the course.  In response to last the comment about whether or not companys recognise this course, the course is a DSA Accredited Fleet Trainer course and is therefore a fully certified qualification and recognised equally as much as any other Fleet Trainer course.

Since I qualified as a Fleet Instructor I have been very busy working for a variety of companies and organisations, they are all becoming increasingly aware of their obligation and duty of care to train their fleet drivers, especially with the new Corporate Manslaughter bill coming in on the 1st of April 2008.

I too would highly recommend the Lancashire course as being great value for money

Kind regards

THEDRIVER

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 04-12-07 18:59:58

ExAdiNigel

....In response to last the comment about whether or not companys recognise this course, the course is a DSA Accredited Fleet Trainer course and is therefore a fully certified qualification and recognised equally as much as any other Fleet Trainer course.....

Yes, the course is DSA accredited
Yes, the course is a fully certified qualification
But, NO, the course isn't recognised equally as any other fleet trainer course.

I'm afraid, if you walked in to another fleet training provider, the RoSPA Diploma is more highly thought of.  If 2 people applied for a position at a fleet provider, one having the RoSPA Diploma and the other having the Lancs CC qualification and all other things being equal, the RoSPA Diploma holder is more likely to be chosen.

You may well find, however, that potential clients that you approach directly, they will get as far as the DSA Fleet regsitration and wont look any further so, in this sense, all would be equal.

As has been said, Lancs CC are very highly thought of in Road Safety circles.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 06-03-08 18:43:36

scooter552
Verified Member
Website

It all depends who you go to for work. I work for three Fleet Training Companies, not one of them asked where i did my course.
Just for the record i did my course with a company based in Bristol. If a Fleet Company has work they need Trainers if you work in that catchment area Bobs your Uncle.

#7 09-03-08 09:45:20

aslove
Verified Member
Website

The RoSPA Dip might not be welcome at the IAM were I did my training, but then come to think of it until very recently the IAM Cert Advanced Trainer was not welcome at RoSPA. This change in policy was accompanied with  pay rise for the RoSPA trainers to £120 per day. The new head of fleet services wants only to attract the best trainers. I don't claim to be this best but as I already get more than this i won't be taking them up on the  offer. If you have the Orange badge and you keep developing your skills you will get work at a decent rate.

ADI, RFT, MAIRSO,Safed Registered, RoSPA Gold.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 09-03-08 09:57:42

ExAdiNigel

The RoSPA Dip might not be welcome at the IAM were I did my training....

It's welcome at Drive & Survive which is owned by the IAM!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Board footer