You are not logged in.

#1 24-11-07 18:00:33

jo

Re: mirrors and blind spots

Hi, at 46 years old I'm new to this driving lark.  If I'm waiting to move away from the side of the road what mirrors and blind spots am I supposed to be checking?  I feel like my head is swinging from side to side looking at all the mirrors and both blind spots and nothing is registering inside my head as to what i can see in the mirrors.  Is this normal?  I also don't know how long I should be looking into each mirror. I'm sure I've read on various internet sites that you are only supposed to check the blind spot in the direction you're heading, either left or right so now I'm totally confused.  HELP PLEASE.

24-11-07 18:00:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Re: mirrors and blind spots

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 24-11-07 19:27:37

abrocky
Verified Member
Website

when setting off, i get my pupils to look ahead and in their center mirror looking to see if they 'think' they see a suitable gap: Then they work from the left to the right: left mirror, center mirror, right mirror then right blind spot.  (No need for a left blindspot, but can be done when setting off).

while doing the above you must also decide if a signal is needed.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 25-11-07 07:06:32

ExAdiNigel

....(No need for a left blindspot, but can be done when setting off)....

If you don't care whether anyone  (eg kid on bike) comes off the path and into the road in front of you, you don't need to check left blind spot.  I try and get my pupils to care about other road users so I encourage the left blind spot too!

Having said that, if you are not taking in what you see in the mirrors they are all totally pointless!  You need to look in each place, long enough to register what is there to be seen!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 25-11-07 08:32:13

Dimmy

Effective Observations is what is needed, and that varies with the situation.
I would suggest, the  MINIMUM observations would be:
Centre  Mirror - is there a suitable gap for you to move off and get upto speed without inconveniencing following traffic
Look ahead - can you make progress if you pulled out in the gap you have chosen to join the flow of traffic.
Offside mirror - Is there anything occuring that would delay you moving off into the gap you have chosen
Offside blind spot - any activity that would prevent you from safely moving off, including vehicles cyclists pedestrians animals etc. Pay particular attention to side roads, driveways and footpaths.
Look in the direction of travel when moving off and if it is a slow move off (e.g. from an angle) repeating the blindspot check before your vehicle has moved into a position that would hinder following traffic if it has reached you.

Effective Observations also means assessing wether it is POSSIBLE for pedestrians animals or any other road user COULD possibly approach from your left before moving off. If there is a driveways, paths, open ground or any other access point where someone may approach your vehicle in the area ahead of your vehicle then look there first.

So your observations for that circumstance would typically be, look to the left through the passenger window (your perepheral vision will pick up activity rearward, so no need to turn your head to look fully around) the nearside mirror, centre mirror, ahead, offside mirror, offside blind spots and finally ahead before moving off.

#5 25-11-07 23:09:07

Karenadi
Verified Member

What about the pedestrians that might be about to step off the kerb on the nearside Dimmy?  No check for them?  I'd check left blind spot at least once - if we didn't get away immediately, I'd bear the info gained on the first check in mind: ie were there any pedestrians in the distance, or could any of appeared from anywhere?  If no then leave it second time round (dependant on time lapse clearly).

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#6 25-11-07 23:16:26

Luchell
Verified Member

I think thats what Dimmy is saying Karen., i know we teach very similarly in that its situation dependent. If you are somewhere where the need arises or could then do it.

#7 25-11-07 23:27:22

Karenadi
Verified Member

He didn't say look on the nearside though: that was what I was wondering......

#8 25-11-07 23:29:38

Luchell
Verified Member

He did say the following though  lol

Effective Observations also means assessing wether it is POSSIBLE for pedestrians animals or any other road user COULD possibly approach from your left before moving off. If there is a driveways, paths, open ground or any other access point where someone may approach your vehicle in the area ahead of your vehicle then look there first.

THEN

So your observations for that circumstance would typically be, look to the left through the passenger window (your perepheral vision will pick up activity rearward, so no need to turn your head to look fully around) the nearside mirror, centre mirror, ahead, offside mirror, offside blind spots and finally ahead before moving off.

lol Either i am reading his post wrong or i am so used to the discussions we have i am imagining in the post what i think hes saying  lol

#9 25-11-07 23:33:42

Karenadi
Verified Member

Eeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr okay then: fair enough he did say that. I didn't read that meaning into that's all.  tongue I do have alot of respect for Dimmy.  He pays alot of attention to detail - something that I probably could do with doing more of at times. :evil:

Not that I imagined he'd be wrong: he's too particular to get anything so important wrong. big_smile

#10 25-11-07 23:36:11

Luchell
Verified Member

http://www.visionexpress.com/en/glasses.php

lol tongue :evil: lol

Just teasing Karen, no we have enough debates about things, thing is after a while i realise we are actually arguing about the same thing in other words theres no argument at all i just haven't heard something the right way or the way it was meant   roll lol Thats how i read the above, i am sure Dimmy will let us know which is the correct way it's meant  lol

#11 26-11-07 00:33:07

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

dimmy is spot on as usual. effective observation however you call it

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#12 26-11-07 11:23:21

jackie99100

Hi jo, I am like yourself a bit younger though :evil: not by that much  and i am still waiting for the day when it all clicks into place as everyone keeps telling me it will get easier i have had 18 lessons now, my instructor says check all my mirrors before moving off especially the blind spot and it is really important to check your left mirror if you have just pulled out a bit because of parked car and you are taking up your place again on the road but i don;t no if it is wise to take my advice as i am not that reliable big_smile good luck though wink

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts

#13 26-11-07 17:11:55

jo

jackie99100 thank you for your support and thanks for making me laugh out loud.  Thank you too to everybody who took the time to reply with advice, have a much clearer picture of what I'm supposed to be doing now.

#14 26-11-07 21:29:13

Luchell
Verified Member

Thats great, don't be afraid to ask away with anything you need help with  smile

Board footer