You are not logged in.

#1 13-11-07 21:19:02

davis956

L.G.V. Licence

Hello folks,
I'm davis956, i've recently started a job that i can't stand,but for years have been thinking about L.G.V.
Finally think its time to have a go.
Don't really know much about it, but recently talking to a young driver who reckons its best to train locally rather than the big national companies.
I'm 46 yrs old & held a licence for 30yrs, too late?
Anyway i live in east anglia, anyone got any usefull tips or info.

13-11-07 21:19:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: L.G.V. Licence

#2 20-11-07 23:27:31

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Hi Davis956

What area of East Anglia do you live in?  I would have said you are certainly not too old, you have potentially got nearly 20 years of service left to offer.  I certainly find that some of the smaller training companies are better and usually give one to one tuition.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

#3 21-11-07 15:28:04

jonnmedds
Verified Member

I'd agree with the previous comment about smaller schools. I've recently passed my LGV cat C test and went with a small company who's instructors were DSA registered. Before parting with my hard earned cash I had a one hour lesson with a couple of companies first and chose the best of them. I felt this was better than handing over a pile of money to someone who could be a load of pants. As for your age i don't see a problem.

#4 21-11-07 21:35:11

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

I found from experience that it is best to pay as you go with most training courses, that way if you are not happy with the training you are free to change, with no great loss.  Often training companies quote what seems to be a good price for a fixed duration of training, to be paid up front.  But with a good trainer on a pay as go basis, you should just pay for exactly what you need.  No more, no less.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

#5 08-06-08 16:18:05

onmyown
Verified Member

Hi davies
I have an hgv class one and believe me it is well worth having, I took mine in my forties and when times got tough it paid the mortgage.
there are however some real bad companies out there to drive for, out every night in the summer no shower 15 hour days etc etc,
Just a bit of advice here, do not work for bonus, or a set wage, bonus runs make you rush, and set wage will be millions of hours, go with a good firm and you will enjoy it. what part of anglia are you in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 13-02-11 13:12:49

raymondtt
Website

Just start training and make this dream a relaity

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 13-02-11 19:39:07

chevronjohn
Verified Member

Just start training and make this dream a relaity

I'm sure he would love to make his dream a reality -but how can a LGV broker help this??, bearing in mind the original post was over 3 years ago

DSA ADI ,DSA LGV Instructor, PCV Instructor, IAM, always willing to learn  smile
www.chevrontraining.co.uk
DSA Customer Test site

#8 03-05-11 11:34:33

American Trucker
Verified Member

this post in now 3.5 years old!

but still helpful.

i'm starting out and am looking for info...

useful info....small companies, pay as you go would be nice with all the perks!

phew ... finally found a trainer in west london for c,ce,d

he's also on the dsa lgv register. is that normal? do you get extra benefits as such, from the trainers perspective? or is it just cudos?
he also mentioned to me i take a look at 'managers cpc' ??? plenty of work out there etc (looking at career pathways)

thanks

Sam

B,BE,C1,C1E,D1 101, D1E 101, fklnp, Digi Tach
Provisional: A, D
D - theory/hpt 98/73 19/5/11

#9 04-05-11 08:50:55

(ROG)
Verified Member

Operator/National cpc only if you want to go the management route - it's a bit like doing an 'A' level

DSA register - not worth a light - looks good to punters
LGV DSA register is not the same as being an ADI
LGV DSA registered instructors do not get DSA checked with real trainees
LGV DSA registered instructors do not need to be ADIs

I was never a LGV DSA registered instructor but my pass rate was very often higher than many who were!!
I've known LGV DSA registered instructors who shouted at trainees and were downright rude!!

Best advice - go by a recommendation(s)

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#10 06-05-11 15:34:23

American Trucker
Verified Member

thanks for the reply smile

sorry for the delay in response :angel:
LOL

ok a quick question.. do i need any qualifications to teach b+e/c/ce/d?

is ADI only for cars, B?

from what i picked up from the instructor, for the DSA register, there were 3 parts, just like doing the ADI?

i'm was looking at my options of teaching and at this point all doors seem closed unless i have ADI or have held license for 3 years?!

also i remeber reading somewhere the theory tests are getting re-vamped this september?

Sam

B,BE,C1,C1E,D1 101, D1E 101, fklnp, Digi Tach
Provisional: A, D
D - theory/hpt 98/73 19/5/11

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 06-05-11 15:51:09

(ROG)
Verified Member

is ADI only for cars, B?

YES (as well as 'A')

from what i picked up from the instructor, for the DSA register, there were 3 parts, just like doing the ADI?

Similar but not the same - no real pupils for a start - the examiner might play a role but it's not the same!!

do i need any qualifications to teach b+e/c/ce/d?

Over age 21 and held relevent licence for 3 years - that's it

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Board footer