You are not logged in.

#1 05-04-04 19:55:28

ordit pete

Is Q/A a good teaching tool or a distraction to the pupil?

The use of the question and answer technique has always been a controversial subject amongst instructors.
I personally find it a useful tool if used a) At the correct time b) If the correct questions are asked c) If the pupil is receptive and has a good command of English. d) If they are competent enough to listen to your questions and drive.
I personally think the Q/A technique is a marvellous teaching tool providing all of the above are met.
Take a laborious subject to teach such as use of mirrors. Think how many times a pupil might hear "check your mirrors" in an average lesson. They hear it so often that they are likely to switch off after a while and, as so many instructors don't explain why they should check their mirrors before say slowing down, they haven't got a clue why or what they are looking for anyway. Let's say your are driving along and see a zebra crossing ahead, some instructors say "there's a zebra crossing coming up, check the mirrors". I think it is more effective to say as early as possible"can you see any flashing lights ahead, can the car behind stop if we have to ?".
It makes the pupil look well ahead for the crossing and makes them realize why it is so important to check the mirrors early to plan the approach to the crossing according to where the vehicle is behind.
I think it is a marvellous tool also when teaching awareness and anticipation, but unfortunately instructors use it wrongly, they might say "what is coming up ahead"? on a busy street with parked cars, delivery vans etc and pedestrians milling about on the pavement. What is the poor pupil supposed to answer? there are so many hazards to choose from. Think of the answer you want and frame the question around it. Why not say "any feet below that van?" or "has that pedestrian seen us?"
The use of open questions in a moving car is confusing.
Anybody got any views on the subject?

05-04-04 19:55:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Is Q/A a good teaching tool or a distraction to the pupil?

#2 05-04-04 20:55:43

churchy

As a PDI i've had Q/A drummed into my head so much.  But as the trainer is pretending to be a learner they can expect things to go wrong and correct them accordingly.

The Q/A i had to give was weird and it meant asking questions the whole time we were driving and i must admit it felt weird and sometimes it wasn't required.  But then what should I do?  I need to pass, after all.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 05-04-04 20:56:17

rachdrive
Website

Hi,

Yes, I agree that questions need to be properly asked and the RIGHT question chosen!!!

Sometimes I feel that I give too much information away, and at other times am asking an obvious question and get funny looks, but then when I explain why I asked EG what's behind you? they do respond well.

Sometimes it is better to give extra information as they don't have the reactions for longer answers!!!

The Important thing is to get THEM thinking about what has been asked and WHY?

The WHY is usually the thing alot of instructors forget about!!!

Q and A is great when used in the correct way, but useless when not!!!!!

Rach  8)

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

#4 05-04-04 22:36:18

ChelmsfordADI

Hi all

yes I agree that Q and A has to be asked in right way. Plus I am sure it never really goes in they have forgotton what has been said in 5 mins.

I usually adopt the reverse if they have a constant fault ie the usual one is forgetting mirrors and we all feel its that endless task of saying Mirror mirror mirror and why.

So if the constant fault is mirrors I get them to tell me what mirrors they are looking in and why rather than me wittering on and on and nagging! . Within a few lessons they never forget what mirror they should be doing when and what they are looking for. Odd really cos when i know they are doing every single mirror I say they dont have to tell me anymore but they still carry on mumbling to themselves. But I can honestly say come to test date that it is rare for any of them to come back with any observation faults so it does work.

Karen xx

#5 05-04-04 22:38:15

Badger

Half the time a new driver has little idea of what constitutes a hazard in the road ahead of him.

When hes driving he doesnt need a running theory test to distract him.

Hazards need to be pointed out, particularly those that are missed as a result of not looking ahead far enough.

Q&A can be used as a prompt. "Anybody coming the other way?" for example, if the position is a bit dodgy on approaching a bend.

Some pupils find it difficult to explain things and it is risky to tax them whilst driving.

"What is the next hazard you have to deal with?"  This often elicits a simple one word reply such as "cyclist"

"What are you thinking about here ?" often gets some quite surprising replies.

Full Q&A should be limited to briefings and feedback.

Badger

#6 05-04-04 22:42:13

johnabacus
Verified Member
Website

This reminded me of when I was in training for my RoSPA Advanced Test. I was being coached by another ADI. He asked me an open question on how I was planning to put "The System" as per Roadcraft into action as wew were driving along a NSL road with lots of bends. I just could not concentrate on giving an answer and drive at the same time so I told him that when it was safe I'd pull up and tell him. When we stopped we both took a long look at the whole scenario of Q & A. We both agreed that we had been in the habit of doing this with learners but until that point had not realised how difficult it would be for them to give an answer on the move.

From then on I tried to change my approach to pupils and try now to only ask questions on the move which are simple to answer. In some cases the question is more of a prompt to start taking some action such as checking mirrors or slowing down, rather than to get an answer.

John

#7 05-04-04 23:45:37

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I do use Q&A, And also think there is a right time to ask.

I may ask whilst sat at the red light, Waiting to turn left.  'Could a cycle be coming up from our left' and other such questions.

Some respond to it well on the move and others don't, But i feel we need to plant the seed, and let it grow !

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 06-04-04 07:16:47

ordit pete

johnabacus wrote:

This reminded me of when I was in training for my RoSPA Advanced Test. I was being coached by another ADI. He asked me an open question on how I was planning to put "The System" as per Roadcraft into action as wew were driving along a NSL road with lots of bends. I just could not concentrate on giving an answer and drive at the same time so I told him that when it was safe I'd pull up and tell him. When we stopped we both took a long look at the whole scenario of Q & A. We both agreed that we had been in the habit of doing this with learners but until that point had not realised how difficult it would be for them to give an answer on the move.

From then on I tried to change my approach to pupils and try now to only ask questions on the move which are simple to answer. In some cases the question is more of a prompt to start taking some action such as checking mirrors or slowing down, rather than to get an answer.

John

This is precisely what I wrote about Q/A, he obviously asked an open question at totally the wrong time. The questions must be phrased correctly and be asked at the correct time.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 06-04-04 07:27:30

ordit pete

churchy wrote:

As a PDI i've had Q/A drummed into my head so much.  But as the trainer is pretending to be a learner they can expect things to go wrong and correct them accordingly.

The Q/A i had to give was weird and it meant asking questions the whole time we were driving and i must admit it felt weird and sometimes it wasn't required.  But then what should I do?  I need to pass, after all.

It is quite wrong of your trainer to expect you to ask questions all of the way round. As I said it can be distracting to a learner, especially when the questions are too open in a busy situation. The idea of Q/A on the move is not to test the learners knowledge, but to heighten their awareness and anticipation skills. If too much Q/A is used or inappropriate Q/A is used in the part 3 this could be marked both in the Q/A box and level of instruction box.

#10 06-04-04 11:36:42

churchy

ordit pete wrote:
churchy wrote:

It is quite wrong of your trainer to expect you to ask questions all of the way round. As I said it can be distracting to a learner, especially when the questions are too open in a busy situation. The idea of Q/A on the move is not to test the learners knowledge, but to heighten their awareness and anticipation skills. If too much Q/A is used or inappropriate Q/A is used in the part 3 this could be marked both in the Q/A box and level of instruction box.

Admitedely the questions that i asked were really to do with what was going on around the car.  Like, whats around this bend? what does that sign mean? did you really need to signal there?  etc etc.

Board footer