You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#51 01-11-07 16:44:07

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Re: SAFED for Vans starts again

Hi, I think you are getting a bit confused. There is currently no funding for van driver training or for the train the trainer in Scotland.

The people you called are just involved in the LGV market. I hope this helps!

However, you can pay to receive the training and sell the courses commercially in Scotland.

Regards,

01-11-07 16:44:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#52 01-11-07 16:54:41

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Hi, I think you are getting a bit confused. There is currently no funding for van driver training or for the train the trainer in Scotland.

The people you called are just involved in the LGV market. I hope this helps!

However, you can pay to receive the training and sell the courses commercially in Scotland.

Regards,

Cheers Bigred, NOT just me getting confused wink lol lol LOL, I can now quote £200 p/d to my Manager, hopefully after I have given the presentation My company will allow the training and as you have said above, I can then use my ADI qualifiction and Safed to train outwith..........???

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#53 01-11-07 17:00:15

bigred
Verified Member
Website

If your company likes what you are suggesting then Contact Claire Shrewsbury (SAFED Programme Director) on 0870 190 6251  or Cerys Clarke (Programme manager) on 0870 190 8375. They will happily clear up any confusion we are dishing out to you.

Regards,

#54 01-11-07 17:28:44

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Cheers bigred

Driver CPC Trainer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#55 02-11-07 07:26:53

whodareswins
Verified Member

I asked my work if they would pay for me to be trained on the SAFED course, turns out its a 2 day course @ £200 per day, and as I am an ADI I can carryout training of others commercially if I want, the other assessor in my work is not ADI so he can only carryout in-house training.
My work have asked me to put together a presentation of the benefits of this training and how much we "might" save per year.
Anyone got any ideas I could add into it, I have put together an 11 page Powerpoint presentation for now using mainly quotes and info from the safed web site, has anyone else got any personal experiences of safed training I could use?

P.S - anyone know how you go about being a Senior Instructor(safed)?

Ekal,

In order for you to provide SAFED training to commercial customers there are 2 prerequisites.

1. You must be on the Fleet Register.
2. You must have completed the SAFED trainer's course.

Currently, there are only 8 places available (probably all gone now) on the trainers course.
Additionally, each qualified SAFED trainer will only be able to deliver the SAFED course to a maximum of 8 drivers until March 2008.

In order to become a Senior Instructor (the one who delivers the trainers course) you would need to get in touch with one of the companies who are currently accredited to provide this trainining. I would consider your chances as being pretty much zero in this regard.

Initially, 200 SAFED trainers were required and these (as well as the additional 8 already mentioned) have already received their training.

All in all, those wishing to provide commercial SAFED training have pretty much missed the boat unless they are already registered as a SAFED trainer. I am sure that additional places will become available from time to time so you need to keep checking to see if any are needed.

Maybe its a good idea to register your interest now with SAFED so that you are informed when slots become available. Try sending an email to Claire.Shrewsbury@aeat.co.uk or Cerys.Clarke@aeat.co.uk

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#56 02-11-07 08:51:56

helee
Verified Member

Ok to add to this

I tried to get on when it opened again this year. As they only took an additional 8 trainers on I missed out. I was and am gutted sad. Having said that if you are only allowed to take on 8 drivers until March whats the point?? I thought it was going to be easy to sell these courses and harder to sell any other sort of driver training. It now seems as though SAFED would be harder to sell!!

It would have been nice to get on SAFED but now I'm seeing it as a blessing in disguise. HAving said that if I get accepted in April to be trained I'll go for it as its good for the CV etc and spme people will still want SAFED only.

Thanks for clearing a few things up Percy.

Lee

#57 02-11-07 09:34:04

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I'm reasonably sure that "in-house" trainers (which I think Ekal is) can do the SAFED course without being Fleet registered, but then wouldn't be able to sell the course outside his company.

I've got a feeling that though the course was funded to 8 places at £100+VAT/place you can pay to take the whole course from one of the training companies - maybe Bigred could confirm this, as the guy I trained with wants his partner to do the training too (also ADI/Fleet). However I can't imagine this full price training would be too useful in this case as Ekal couldn't offer training outside the company.

Just one thing - having done the training, there really is nothing new in it at all. Not impressed with anything apart from the funding. I also feel that there should be a minimum amount of training to go with the funding - we were advised that we could train 4 drivers in 1 day and claim the whole funding for each trainee - £700 of government money - nice little earner for the moneygrabbers, but not great value for money for the taxpayer.

#58 02-11-07 09:40:50

whodareswins
Verified Member

Hi Lee,

As you probably already know, the SAFED for Vans programme was/is being subsidised by the Department for Transport. I guess (others will correct me if I am wrong) that the 8 driver limitation intil March reflects the remaining funds available to the end of this financial year. (Maybe left over from the original budget).

The new funding (until 2010) is not nearly as large as it was this year and means that there will be a training cost involved for all prospective customers in the next phase of the programme. SAFED trrainers/course providers have always had to find prospective clients and some were far more successful than others. I think many of them believed that customers would be provided by the organisers. They didn't realise that customers had to be identified and the training "sold" by themselves. That's why Hector's outfit and a few others (including the one I'm with) ended up with a lot more business (over and above the initial allocation) during 2007.

Selling the training over the next two years will be more challenging due to the training contribution that each customer will now need to make.

Percy

#59 02-11-07 13:01:05

helee
Verified Member

Percy

Thanks for the input. The people who thought that there was no selling involved and haven't done any courses are a wasting the space available. If that has happened SAFED should get rid of them and let the people who can possibly sell courses get in on it.

To be honest I'm not too worries about the free training for myself I would prefer to pay to get on the register. I think that people who are willing to go out and get the work should be able to.

Ok so now you are asking why am i only jumping on the bandwagon now. Heres why. I only qualified as a ADI at the end of June. Since then I have added the fleet badge. Now I want to add more to my CV so that when I do go and sell courses I can offer a range of courses that suits. Of course I can still offer Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving but just not SAFED courses.

Some times as you say its their loss!!! I did want it on my CV though so maybe April 2008 eh??

Lee

#60 02-11-07 13:14:39

Dimmy

ok, what am I missing???

208 trainers x 8 drivers = 1,664 "re-educated" drivers.

Well, that's gonna make a world of difference to the national statitistics.    roll

please tell me i'm being too simplistic.  PLEASE !!!

#61 02-11-07 13:15:31

helee
Verified Member

thats just til the end of this year there has been loads already trained

#62 02-11-07 13:22:21

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Dimmy, if you consider it as the rolling out of CPD for all professional drivers then it starts to make sense.

Bear in mind that the CPC is coming in for bus drivers next year, then truckers in 2009, rumours are that it will be applied to vannies after that so that every professional driver needs a CPC.

I welcome the principle entirely. Yes, it's a drop in the ocean right now, but a start has been made.

#63 02-11-07 13:25:48

Dimmy

Oh, dont get me wrong,  I am ALL for CPD of ALL drivers, commercial or otherwise, I'm in the wrong industry if I thought any differently.

My comment was born from shock at the figure being so low.

Still, from little acorns, great oaks do grow.

#64 02-11-07 14:30:18

whodareswins
Verified Member

ok, what am I missing???

208 trainers x 8 drivers = 1,664 "re-educated" drivers.

Well, that's gonna make a world of difference to the national statitistics.    roll

please tell me i'm being too simplistic.  PLEASE !!!

You're being too simplistic. OK?

Percy

#65 02-11-07 16:10:01

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Ekal,

In order for you to provide SAFED training to commercial customers there are 2 prerequisites.

1. You must be on the Fleet Register.
2. You must have completed the SAFED trainer's course.

I will be looking to complete both prerequisites very soon, I am on the Rospa Fleet register and will be applying to the DSA this week, if all goes according to plan I will be Safed trained by a local Senior Trainer at the turn of the year.
So!!!!!!!! Hopefully I'm getting there

Driver CPC Trainer

#66 03-11-07 07:41:20

hector
Verified Member
Website

I think everyone may be missing the point with the selling of the courses and the eight places till March.

You are selling the brand of SAFED and the fact its a government scheme.The funding is not that important. The whole idea is to sell comercially the scheme with a bit of subsidy as a sweetner and eventually no subsidy.

It is fairly easy to sell with or without subsidy.

Its down to the individual to confidenly deliver their pitch to the relevant companies and realise the current potential in the fleet market. If you can sell them Safed you should be able to sell them training for all their other drivers as well.

208 Safed trainers, 2 million van drivers- the work is out there!

Ps Ekal was your fleet course within the last twelve months??

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#67 03-11-07 10:14:05

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Re-sat the exam again, passed the final part 28/10/07, I have contacted Mirlinda at RoSPA, and she is just awaiting my test report then sending me a covering letter for the DSA

Driver CPC Trainer

#68 03-11-07 11:06:50

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Hector, Bigred and anyone else who has experience in selling fleet courses:

What do you do - do you send them something then follow up with a call,
Call them and follow up with info?
Email then call.......

I'm not great at cold calling people, so I could use some advice - I was considering emailing all the companies who I thought would benefit from the training, then following this up with a phone call.

How do I get the relevant person's name? Phone the main number then ask who manages their Fleet and van drivers?

Is it best to try to get a meeting arranged, then simply talk about the advantages of the training - I reckon face to face I'll be happier, though I'm still not keen!

Any advice would be welcome - this is the one bit I'm really not keen on.

#69 03-11-07 18:19:45

ExAdiNigel

hector wrote:

Re-sat the exam again, passed the final part 28/10/07, I have contacted Mirlinda at RoSPA, and she is just awaiting my test report then sending me a covering letter for the DSA

Mirlinda?  I thought Merlinda only dealt with admin for the local groups.  Doesn't Donna and her team deal with the RoSPA Diploma and fleet work?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#70 03-11-07 18:21:36

ExAdiNigel

....How do I get the relevant person's name? Phone the main number then ask who manages their Fleet and van drivers?....

Would the person who manages the fleet and van drivers be the right person?  Or should it be the person responsible for Health & Safety?

Hey!  Who opened that can of worms?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#71 03-11-07 19:04:37

hector
Verified Member
Website

Tim
First of all you need to root out that shirt and tie! First impressions count and last. You might need some mothballs!

Its all about confidence in your training and convincing the companies they need it. Very difficult to just turn up and expect to be seen.Some form of contact is crucial initially.

BNI is a great way to do this with the right people,  if not that id phone rather than e-mail if possible initially. Great big snowball effect here with like minded business people you just need one opening.

H and S representitive every time for me if possible. It does depend on the company though.
Im confident with everyone i see my training is better than they have had before, better price, better quality, better delivered in every way and with this approach i feel able to sell courses to anyone.

Anyone delivering their own courses, you soon see what crap they have had before from some bored retired copper.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#72 03-11-07 19:14:09

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

EKAL wrote:
hector wrote:

Mirlinda?  I thought Merlinda only dealt with admin for the local groups.  Doesn't Donna and her team deal with the RoSPA Diploma and fleet work?

Nigel

Ammara and Sarah as well.....................  Ithink...

I dunno, thats the name I got passed to, doesnt much matter tho

Driver CPC Trainer

#73 04-11-07 10:05:23

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Ta Hector,

Got the suit and tie sorted - I even did the training in it, I never realised how many strange looks you get when you've got a big white van driving through town with 3 blokes in suits in the front - it just doesn't look right!

I'll go for the health and safety representative then, and yes - I do reckon I can deliver better training than they've had before, and to be quite honest better training than I've had from some of these schemes.

Some of the people who deliver these schemes for others really don't care about them do they?

#74 04-11-07 19:15:35

hector
Verified Member
Website

The guy who did my course was very good and knowledgable, i think this is the exception though not the norm!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#75 04-11-07 19:45:45

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Board footer