You are not logged in.

#1 29-10-07 18:18:34

Justice

New member researching Iveco vans.

Hi just browsing the web and came across this interesting site. You may be able to help with an issue I have with my present employer re gear changing on Iveco vans. Some time ago myself and several colleagues were driving an 03 reg Iveco, the Daily Bus type and also another similar Iveco, I do not know the model but similar. Several of us suffered some pain and discomfort changing gear. Now I have driven mainly cars over the past 40yrs but also the Renault vans, Transits and similar size vans. My employer insists that if we use the "Palming Method" changing gear then no problem would occur. I do Palm the gears and find changing gear a problem. Does any member have any advice or had similar experience with Iveco vans?. I would be most interested to find out.
By the way I am ex Police now driving for an organisation in the NHS. That does not make me a bad person (ex police) does it?

29-10-07 18:18:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New member researching Iveco vans.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 29-10-07 18:32:20

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Hired one recently and there was no real problems, was only really a short trip.  However it was awful to drive!  I do mean awful!  The fact it was quick and huge were the only good factors!  no problem with gear changes, just the vague steering, horrible brakes, etc.....

It maybe the the driving position you were in was poor.....easily done in a vehicle like that!  Give me a Transit any day (or VW Transporter for that matter)

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#3 29-10-07 18:55:43

den676
Verified Member

Don't understand how you could have had a problem.  :?

When I was a "White van man" I had one and loved it.  lol

As Iain said, maybe it was your driving position.

#4 29-10-07 18:59:09

Dimmy

gotta love the transporter.  big_smile

I'd also agree, the aching was probably down to poor posture by not correctly setting up the seat position in the Ivecos. Did you have to lean to change gear, or even worse, push yourself back into the seat to make the gear change?

The correct position would be so that you can engage 1st gear with ease and without having to fully extend your arm, or move your body to do so.

I do agree with you a little regarding the layout of the Iveco, in particular the clutch position and gear stick position does make correct seating posture a fine art.

#5 29-10-07 19:23:17

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Transporters rule, especially the 174 BHP 2.5 TDI! smile  http://www.whatvan.co.uk/roadtest.asp?id=4098

lets just say its quick!  Dad had one and you have to hold it back, and a fully laden 90 mile trip over the peak district up and down hills and still returning 36mpg!  need i say more!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#6 30-10-07 13:33:57

Justice

Re the Iveco question I recently posted- thanks to all who replied some interesting comments which are a help.

#7 31-10-07 21:59:07

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

we have a 7.5 tonner in my work, the gear lever and selecting gears is fine, the seating position and moving of the seat is diabolical, also, i find moving from gas pedal to brake is a bit of a task, I needed to raise my leg considerably to get to the brake pedal, so much so, I completed an incident report and have refused to drive it until it is "seriously" looked at by management, I'm not expecting a similer layout to a car, but even my 21tonner has a better pedal layout

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

Board footer