You are not logged in.

#1 22-10-07 10:39:53

all_alps
Verified Member

What can i do now?

Hi everybody. I have now been an instructor for just over a year.
I want to do something extra to develope myself.

I was thinking... maybe becoming fleet registered, doing the DIA Dip.
I am not sure what else i can do.

Can anyone help me please.

Thanks
AMG

22-10-07 10:39:53

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What can i do now?

#2 22-10-07 18:01:21

jaspersplace
Verified Member

Great that you're looking to develop. Too many instructors just sit back after qualifying. Of course CPD via the check tests will change all that.

Have a think about what you're natural skills are and where you see yourself in 5 years. Are you a driving instructor through and through or have you a particular skill in teaching adults and getting to grip with the learner psyche.

Do you want to be involved in local authority initiatives or do you see yourself moving towards driving examiner ?

Have you got management skills, would be useful for the larger schools or are you interested in training others to become instructors, in which case the ORDIT route may be best.

When I qualified I went hell for leather to get as many feathers in my cap as I could ie Rospa, IAM, Cardington etc. The experience was good and it felt great to have the certificates but what would have stood me better were if I had taken a course of study in teaching adults. Or, business management.

So, before you spend loads of dosh on expensive training and courses, give some thought on what you personally would like to do, then see who else has followed a similar path on the forum, get feedback and see if it ties in with your objectives.

Good luck

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 23-10-07 08:28:09

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Excellent advice above. Work out where you want to be then post back asking what you should do to get there!

#4 23-10-07 15:30:06

all_alps
Verified Member

Guys, THank you very much for the advice. Something that does interest me is the fleet training.
Do you think the DIA Diploma in Driving instruction is worthwhile?
What about the ROSPA courses?

Thanking you!

#5 23-10-07 15:38:15

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

For fleet then a obviously your fleet badge. Some fleet providers seem to want you to have trained with them (IAM and RoSPA both seem slightly closed shops - train with them and you may get in on the fleet work they do).

Otherwise one of the advanced tests gains a bit of kudos, teaching quals are useful for classroom presentations and LGV/HGV trainers are highly sought after.

I'm sure someone will add more later.

The dip DI is well worth doing whatever you do in driving instruction - it is one of the cheapest courses to do and is worth while according to those who have it. Am studying for it between a variety of other courses and the information is in depth and seems to be well tested by the course. However, if you don't have the dip DI I doubt you'll lose work.

#6 23-10-07 20:57:48

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi AMG

Id go as your first port of call for advanced driving tests. Cardington or rospa gold-Cardington is harder but not recognised by fleet companies, you need rospa gold for fleet.

A teaching qualification is a must, 7304 or whatever its called now leading to 7407.Local college or independant companies run these courses. Do a fleet course with accredited company.

The dia diploma is fine but takes alot of time and study, whether its worthwhile depends on what you intend to do.If you have cardington and dia diploma you can do diamond advanced examiners course.

Ordit acreditation could eventually follow. Consider courses in business management also as someone mentions above, plus any other relavent courses such as first aid and the like.

Degree in driver education should be the ultimate goal but only after completing all the above as this works on a points scoring basis and all the above score very highly.This will take 2-3 years after completing all the above and alot of cash.
And thats the real problem cash cash cash and all work all the time, after a hard days work but in the end it is worth it-just about!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#7 27-10-07 19:48:37

Karl
Verified Member

I have been qualified just over a year. Now I'm doing something different. I am joining the fire service!

Part 1- 93% and 67
Part 2- 2 Minors
Part 3- Passed 20th Dec 4/5 2006

#8 31-10-07 15:43:36

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Did the City & Guilds 7302 Cert earlier this year and found it useful in helping deliver learning in classrooms.
Not really sure if I want to commit to the next level , and am currently considering whether or not to apply to become a Magistrate after doing some initial research.

#9 09-11-07 23:49:21

Walter
Verified Member

If you're full-time, where do you all find the time & money to do this CPD, in whatever shape or form? tongue neutral

Catch yer later alligator!

#10 10-11-07 07:17:51

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

If you make time - you'll make money.

If you don't make time you'll have neither.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 10-11-07 11:58:55

Carl

A teaching qualification is a must, 7304 or whatever its called now leading to 7407.Local college or independant companies run these courses. Do a fleet course with accredited company.

I spoke to my local Adult Community College about doing the 7407 but was told, in no uncertain terms, that being a driving instructor IS NOT one of the teaching professions they feel suitable for the course. Even when I explained that my goal is to be able to offer some sort of classroom training (ie Fleet) they really didn't want to know. Any advice as to how I can change their mind?

Carl

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 10-11-07 19:58:52

Walter
Verified Member

If you make time - you'll make money.

If you don't make time you'll have neither.

?????????????????????? tongue

Catch yer later alligator!

Board footer