You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 21-10-07 18:08:40

Angie321
Verified Member
Website

First Check Test Tomorrow!!!

Hi Guys,

Check test date came through for 16th November so I arranged a meeting with SE to meet him and discuss what might happen.  Told him I had a problem finding a pupil for the time he had arranged and that half term would be
better as my sixth formers were on holiday.  He then proceeded to say it was no problem and I could have my test on Monday 22nd at 9am instead!!!!

So no time to think about things and just have to go and do it. 

Any last minute help, advice from those of you who have already been there.  This will be my first check test after qualifying in May this year.

Thanks in advance.

Angie

www.beltup2drive.co.uk for lessons in and around Plymouth.

21-10-07 18:08:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: First Check Test Tomorrow!!!

#2 22-10-07 13:11:40

Angie321
Verified Member
Website

Hello Evan,

Many thanks for your reply.

I did my 1st Check Test this morning.  I had already decided to drive my pupil to the Test Centre as I wanted everything to be as it would normally be when picking her up from home.

I asked her if she remembered what we did on our last lesson and we discussed that and both agreed that we had noticed that she was having a problem with moving off and clutch control on hills.  So todays lesson would be hills and clutch control when moving off.  Got her to do the normal cockpit drill and before she moved away advised her that she might need an extra bit of gas as there were now 3 in the car.

All went well and although my mouth was extremely dry and I was very nervous my pupil was driving extremely well.  All mirror checks as they should be so I gave praise where necessary. 

As suspected when we pulled up for the 1st hill start she stalled.  She was worried that if she had too much clutch the car would shoot forwards.  I tried to reasure her and demonstrated how much clutch was necessary to pull away from such a steep hill with 3 people in the car.  After a couple more of unsuccessful attempts she cracked it and was extremely pleased with herself.  (my failing here was not getting her to rev the engine and give more gas ~ the SE said that she was afraid of using too much gas incase we shot off and I should have used this as a teaching aid instead of concentrating on the clutch) 

I was also pulled up on the fact that I should be making her into a driver and not a learner driver.  He wants me to instil more confidence in her ability and get her to make more progress.  He said that I had motherly ways and should push a bit more.

Overall, he said that I will make an excellent instructor but on this occasion gave me an E as he wants to put the finishing polish onto my instruction and see me back in 3 months!

He did give me a compliment in that he could see similarities with how my instructor teaches and as my instructor is a very highly qualified and well known Grade 6 instructor that can only be good.

However, I am really disappointed, as reading the threads on this site it would seem that most people do actually get a grade on their 1st check test and it has even been said that an E is a fail.  My SE could see that I was disappointed and tried to tell me that it is not common for a grade to be given on a 1st check test.  I know that I give good instruction, definitely give good value for money.  Out of 10 tests since passing, have had 7 passes and only 3 fail.  But why do I feel so let down?

On the ADI 26CT can you explain the first column A?

What do the 1 2 & 3 mean?

I will be having my next test in approx. January 2008 and although I know he wants me to be a bit more positive in getting the pupil to make progress which I will take on board and definitely make an effort to do.  I am a little lost as to where to go now.  I do feel that men, by nature, are more forceful in approach and women tend to be a bit more patient and possibly give way a bit more?  Not sure on this, is it just me??  He did mention that on one occasion we could see well ahead, and had a parked car on the left with pedestrians near by and I should have got my pupil to make more progress, but she was rather slow and moved around the car with more care than he felt necessary.  I always teach anticipation and what if scenarios and perhaps I have emphasised on this too much.  I will have to see how things go if I ease up on this a bit.

My pupil really enjoyed the experience and feels really happy about her looming test.  She was much happier with her hill starts after our lesson and after the SE left us we continued with the hill start lesson but putting in the extra bits that the SE had commented on.  He was right she really did think that the more gas she applied the faster she would shoot off.  Now she knows that it really does not matter how much gas you apply, as long as the clutch is to the biting point the car will not move.  She commented when leaving the car that she really felt she had benefited on the experience of having the SE in the back.  So some good came from it.

I know I am waffling on a bit, but these things are really important and I take everything said to me very seriously.  I hope that I am graded on my next test. 

Thanks for your help on this forum, I do not come here very much, but know that when I need a little bit of advice there are always people with the answer.

Angie

#3 22-10-07 15:39:25

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Angie321,
Use this opportunity to obtain further training before your next check test as it sounds like you were just lacking in confidence in yourself.

Column A is a three-point bipolar scale:
A mark in Box 1 shows that instruction was needed but that you gave it incorrectly or didn't give instruction at all.
A mark in Box 2  shows that the subject was covered, but not satisfactorily.
A mark in Box 3 shows that satisfactory instruction was given.

The SE will indicate which of the 10 topics comprised your main lesson objective(s), but will also use the list to identify any aspect of your lesson which he or she wished to comment on.  The SE may mark particular topics in one of the three boxes.

The SE may mark topics other than your main lesson objective if he or she identified a need for instruction during the lesson, eg your lesson objective could be use of mirrors but during the lesson your pupil does not seem able to control the vehicle properly when moving off.  Your tuition on using the mirrors may be excellent, but you should also identify the need for instruction on moving off under control.  If you did not do so, the examiner would mark this in Column A.

As suspected when we pulled up for the 1st hill start she stalled

If you suspected this would happen, q and a on the approach to the hill start would have got her thinking more about how to deal with it, rather then let her approach the hill and stall, still its all easy in hindsight isn't it? Its just a case of pre-empting what might happen to prevent it from happening  wink

#4 22-10-07 16:33:07

Angie321
Verified Member
Website

Thank you for your feedback.

One point which was raised was signalling to pull over and stop.  I have always been taught to observe and if anyone was to benefit from a signal then signal.  If however, there is no one to benefit then it is not necessary to signal.  The SE said it did not matter if they signalled and no one was to benefit.  He even said that if there was no one to benefit then you did not need to signal at a junction!!  This I did not know.  He advised that I should not teach this, but if there is no one to benefit and a pupil does not signal at a junction then they would not be marked down for it!!

What a shame that this Driving Instructor job is so grey.  My instructor always told me that at a junction you must always signal, "for the car you have not yet seen".  Perhaps it would be good if our local SE's gave lessons to ADI/PDI's once a month on Check Tests/Part 3's.  I am sure many people would benefit from a bit of instruction from the man who is going to be the tester.  All trainers seem to have a different approach and different style and if this is not the same as the SE then it can make things just slightly more difficult.  I for one would be more than happy to pay to attend some additional training from the man who has the right to take my licience away.

I am going to contact my trainer and ask if I can have some further training, perhaps a couple of hours per month, depending on how he assesses me.

I will keep you posted.

#5 24-10-07 22:13:30

Walter
Verified Member

I agree with you Angie  :?

There are many grey areas in driving tuition, and I often question my own teaching (in my mind, of course!),
and I really feel that we should be able to refer to an instruction 'bible' which would have all the answers wink

Driving:The Essential Skills is often too vague or non-specific, and many road situations, especially roundabouts, encompass layouts which could be dealt with in more than one way which could easily be argued as correct by different people with different perceptions of the particular situation  (if you get my meaning!):P

You've got an 'E', so don't be downhearted - you'll get it next time, and anyway, at least you've still got 3 shots at it, 'cos no lives lost yet!!  big_smile

Cheers Mike

Catch yer later alligator!

Board footer