You are not logged in.

#1 08-08-07 21:48:36

mrbrightside
Verified Member

The journey is now official!

Posting today as I can now say I am an official PDI at last!! It seems to have taken ages, but I finally got confirmation back from the DSA that my application for PDI has been approved!

It was a while back now that I decided I wanted to train to become a driving instructor and earlier this year I was using these forums for help and advice on the training process, and recomendations and reviews for driving schools and individual trainers! Just thought Id post some information about my (so far) short journey.

Firstly, these forums were extremely helpful, and continue to be so. I was first looking at training with a national driving school but was very sceptical about the fact that they focussed on promising you a full diary and £30,000 a year as soon as you passed. Although Im sure that most will offer excellent training, I didnt like the promises that in fact couldn't be guarenteed! After reading here further, I discovered that there were lots of independant instructors that were trained to train PDI's on a 'pay as you go' basis. This was much more practical than spending over £3000 up front (or going in debt with a loan).... What if I didn't like it? What if I wasn't good at it? What if I didnt like my trainer? Therefore I opted for the pay as you go route.

So there I was, Id actually phoned a local instructor (in Doncaster) and booked a preliminary session to see if it was for me. Needless to say, I enjoyed it, and wanted to go further. This is where the delays kicked in... I sent of my criminal record check forms as I couldnt apply to be a PDI without this. They said it would take 4-6 weeks. The CRB people phoned me after a week to say they needed some more forms of ID (cant believe it took them a week to discover this, and I had already sent them EXACTLY what they had asked for). I sent the extra anyway, and they got to work on it. I finally got my CRB Ref. Number back, I added it to the PDI application form and sent that off. This had taken about 8-9 weeks, in which time I had been having my practical lessons each week for part 2, and studying at home for part 1.

Now it's about 2 weeks after sending my PDI form that Ive got the approval letter and my PRN! Went straight online and booked my Part 1 test for September 11th (wouldve been earlier, but I go on holiday on 24th Aug!)

The good thing is, that during all this waiting, Ive had plenty of time to study, and also to prepare for part 2. My instructor has already said that as soon as I pass my Part 1, he wants me to book my part 2 test. So I could be well on my way and studying for part 3 very soon.

Kinda scary now Im an offical 'PDI'!!! Well wish me luck!

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

08-08-07 21:48:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: The journey is now official!

#2 08-08-07 21:54:25

Angel
Verified Member
Website

Best of luck-hope you live up to your name! Enjoy!! smile

I'm teetering on the brink-please push!!

ADI car and Fleet trainer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 09-08-07 08:23:08

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Welcome aboard the rolercoaster Mr B  big_smile Hope u njoy the ride!

#4 09-08-07 09:08:22

Dimmy

All the best wishes for the future. smile

10-11 weeks seems an awfully long time to have to wait for your PRN. I hope this is an exception rather than the rule for new PDI's to have to wait now that CRB is here.

#5 09-08-07 10:48:38

mrbrightside
Verified Member

It was simply because I couldn't send off my PDI Application without my CRB being completed. It should normally take 4-6 weeks for the CRB, then around 10 days for the PDI Application. Mine just took longer sad

#6 09-08-07 13:28:03

Disky
Verified Member
Website

good for you, for taking the first step in changing the rest of your life smile

Bet you enjoy it even more now that you have some form of an energiser

all the best
Ray

#7 09-08-07 14:11:23

mrbrightside
Verified Member

It makes me study my theory more often now that I have a deadline in sight. Advice to any new PDI's, the quicker you have a test booked, the more motivated you are to work as you have a deadline to work to!

#8 09-08-07 14:15:26

AndyBerry

Agree with that entirely! I felt the same with part1 as I had an extended wait for my PRN and didn't really do much pt1 before it arrived

#9 11-09-07 17:05:03

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Passed my Part 1 today at the first time of asking!! So relieved, massive weight off my mind now! Bring on part 2!

#10 11-09-07 17:11:00

pj
Verified Member

Well done big_smile

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#11 11-09-07 17:18:57

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

big_smile Congratulationssss Mr B  big_smile

#12 11-09-07 17:57:44

AndyBerry

Nice one!

Andy

#13 11-09-07 19:48:13

standon11
Verified Member

congrats mrbrightside on your part 1.did you decide to go with ian for your training?

#14 11-09-07 19:52:09

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Yeah, Im training with Ian G from Arksey, he's pretty good! He reckons Im just about ready for my part 2 test too! Exciting stuff.

#15 11-09-07 20:24:50

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

hi and good luck with it all

i have my part 1 soon  :]

good luck with yours

em xx

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

#16 11-09-07 20:27:43

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Good luck emma!

#17 11-09-07 22:44:44

standon11
Verified Member

he's a good un is ian,helped me get through & i'm thick.

good luck with the rest of your journey & keep us informed on the progress.might even see you out & about if your out with mr greig.

chris

#18 12-09-07 11:06:51

Sarasfly

Well done! Congratulations!  big_smile

#19 20-10-07 09:31:13

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Just passed my part 2 yesterday and it felt really good!! Was a little nervous for the test, but felt confident and the examiner was really good! If you live near by, do your part 2 in Barnsley, theres only one examiner for the PDI tests and shes good. Anyway, got 3 minors for silly reasons really..... I had to move forward and correct my parallel park so got a mark for control, I missed an Obs on the left reverse and got a mark for gears because I misinterpreted the gradient of a hill and had to change gear again.   All in all I had a very good drive and with a bit of luck on my side I got through. Start part 3 on wednesday with PST 1!!

#20 20-10-07 12:46:59

jaspersplace
Verified Member

Great that you passed P1, good luck with P2.

I am a franchisee and work with the company that trained me. They do advertise guaranteed pass & work and like you, I was somewhat sceptical. My training was amazing, passed first time for all 3 tests. But the way I view the guaranteed work promise is that I pay them to manage my business, provide work, provide support etc. If they didn't do that then I would take my business elsewhere.....so far I have been delighted with the way they have looked after my interests.

Board footer