You are not logged in.

#1 06-10-07 13:15:45

Leprechaun

DIAmond Test - my turn

I failed sad

In the days leading up to today i wasn't that nervous but as i hit the slip lane to go into where i was meeting the examiner the nerves suddenly hit me yikes And they stayed with me for the next 2 hours sad

After the test Kathy (the examiner) said my biggest problem was that i was too nervous and as a result i was trying far too hard  roll She said she could see there was a better drive in me than what i had given her today. When we got back to the car park she asked what were my thoughts on the drive so i said it was rubbish - i was pretty sure i'd failed though i can't remember exactly which point i knew. I thought my manouevres were really awful but Kathy said they weren't as bad as i thought except they were a bit too much like the style of a learner to really be passable at advanced level (thought she didn't actually mark anything about manouevres on the sheet).

At the beginning of the test she asked was i ok and she jokingly answered "no" for me and i agreed. About 10 minutes in she asked was i feeling any better yet - i said no! She was telling me to relax and just enjoy the drive but i was finding that very difficult  roll Kathy did say we could talk if i wanted but they (examiners) try not to talk very much in case it puts the candidate off. I was under the impression i HAD to do commentary but when she suggested commentary it didn't sound like it was essential so i asked her and she said no i didn't have to but some people like to cos they find it calms them down. I shook my head semi-vigorously to indicate definitely not! If i had done commentary i'd have just jabbered non-sensically!!! Then she really would've seen how nervous i was!!!!

During the manouevres it seems i was doing my favourite trick of not breathing - once we'd finished the right reverse she told me to breathe! At one point she also said i looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights :oops:

I got 3 serious and 4 minors. Though on its own i'm not sure she'd have given me one of the serious - it was for eco-safe driving cos she said i was using too much gas in the city-type 40mph zones ie getting to the speed too quick. The other 2 serious either one could've failed me on its own - one was cos i went through an amber light  roll The other was a 20mph zone that totally threw me. We were coming out of a side road and there were red-ringed 20mph signs for the new road. When i looked into the new road there were no speed bumps and i was convinced the signs were wrong - in fact i even said something to that effect. When we did the de-brief afterwards she said it WAS a 20mph zone because of the school - i did see the school but i was convinced other drivers would roast me alive if i did 20mph on a big wide road with no physical traffic-calming measures :x

Apprently my anticipation and forward-thinking weren't as good as they could've been either - i got a minor for awareness of pedestrians and one for other drivers. Can't remember the other 2 minors and dont want too look at my sheet!

When we were talking at the end Kathy said a couple of times during the test she really wished she was training rather than examining me cos she wanted to say things but wasn't allowed to. She asked was i going to re-take the test i said i probably would so she said if i wanted to she could train me but then obviously couldn't examine me so she told me 2 alternatives where i could go to take the test OR she could give me the name of another trainer and she do do the test next time too. After thinking about it i think i'd rather let her do the training and go to someone new for the actual test - at least then it would be a totally fresh view. I know she wouldn't let today's drive prejudice her judgement next time but i think i'd feel awkward.

As she left me i was quite upset and she told me to ring her and if i didn't ring her she would ring me - regardless of my decision about another test or not she said she wanted to know i was ok!

I probably will ring her in the next few days and say i'd like to do some training with her.

06-10-07 13:15:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: DIAmond Test - my turn

#2 06-10-07 16:21:38

Lexy
Verified Member
Website

Ahhh... she sounded nice smile

Those nerves are a b*****d aren't they? sad Keep at it, I'm sure you'll do well.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 07-10-07 11:24:43

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I think you've made the right decision - train with her, get tested by another.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#4 07-10-07 15:36:53

giggles184
Verified Member

awww thats a shame sad

its not nice is it. i KNOW. i felt like such a complete numpty at the end of my test and yep i think im going to feel slightly awkward wen i see that examiner again! specially after the antics he saw last month ooooops.

Nerves are jst such a ?????? i too felt like i was jst getting more and more worked up as the test went on, i got to the point where i had to ask if we could stop so i could have a drink and pull myself together even tho i knew id failed i was jst going to go on making even bigger more dangerous mistakes if we didnt stop. He said he felt id done exactly the right thing in asking to do that and not alot of people who were as het up as what i was would have had the presence to insist on such a thing oooo get me got 1 thing right at least then LOL!

Well get there! big_smile

ADI part 1 - passed 1st attempt 11/5/09 97/63
ADI part 2 - passed 1st attempt 03/09/09 - 1 minor big_smile
ADI part 3........... start training 27/9/09 then we shall see!

#5 25-10-07 18:18:33

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Lepechaun

Who trained you before?

You really need to be fully prepared for this test, the lady who examined you sounds fine, only someone who understands the level required can really give the correct training.

Good luck next time!

What made you think you had to do a commentary by the way?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#6 26-10-07 20:23:04

Leprechaun

Thanks guys, i'm much calmer now  8-) In fact i've been out for one training session with her and she said i looked like a totally different person - cos i wasn't so nervous / anxious  :oops: I felt a bit of a hypocrite (especially on test day) cos she knows i'm also an IAM observer so i guess it was a bit of embarrassment thinking i've done my IAM therefore i should be able to pass and advanced test but it wasn't to be on that day sad Kathy said she admired me for actually going out and seeking something different - she said i could've just satisfied myself with my IAM pass but it was good that i'd decided to have my driving re-assessed.

We did lots of country roads and a couple of times we were on roads i knew and Kathy said she could tell the difference immediately in my driving - when i was on familiar roads my driving became much more positive and confident when i was on roads i didn't know i reverted back to very apprehensive I was slightly nervous but not as much as test day. Hopefully by the time Kathy says i'm ready to book my test i'll be back to a confident, flowing, advanced driver.

She also said on ordinary roads i need to be on the brakes earlier and therefore more gentle.

Her main word for me was "confidence" ie i need more of it. She said if i could relax a bit and enjoy the drive i could probably give a much better demonstration of what i'm capable of.

Kathy said although commentary isn't essential ( i think i might've read somewhere that it was ??? ) it would do me good in the overall scheme of things - obviously i know this cos we get our IAM associates to do it so i need to do plenty of practice commentary driving when i'm on my own.

I've got another training session booked, hopefully i'll get into the swing of things and will be much more prepared next time.

#7 26-10-07 22:11:22

ExAdiNigel

Not suggesting anything here, but I don't like the idea of the examiner that failed you doing the remedial training.  Seems rather like a conflict of interest to me.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#8 01-01-08 22:39:29

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

I'm glad I wasnt the only one to think that Nigel.

I'm going to do my diamond advanced, I passed Cardington in December and have got bitten by the doing tests bug, even though I hate test situations.

Sounds to me like nerves just took over on the day, shame really, good luck next time.

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 02-01-08 01:23:56

gday
Verified Member
Website

Not suggesting anything here, but I don't like the idea of the examiner that failed you doing the remedial training.  Seems rather like a conflict of interest to me.

Nigel

Once again I find my self agreeing with Nigel. Bit like me hanging around the test centre and aproaching all those that have failed to see if they would like to change Instructors.

Board footer