You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 04-10-07 07:46:54

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Extending a Pink Licence

What is the proceedure if you wish to extend the pink for a further 6mths? Do you contact the DSA or do they contact you when your licence is due to expire?
I know/ have read that it can be harder now to extend but was just wondering how to go about it if i decide to go for a few more months on the pink before i take my last attempt at pt 3.

04-10-07 07:46:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Extending a Pink Licence

#2 04-10-07 09:13:39

Andi

Hi Binty,

You cannot 'extend' a pink licence as such, you need to make a new application for a further licence for 6 months etc. They make a decision as to whether one is issued or not depending on your circumstances and your reasons  for requesting a further licence.

Hope that is some help, I'm sure someone will be along soon who can give you more detailed info.

xx

1.gif

#3 04-10-07 10:39:44

Busheyfields
Verified Member
Website

You will only normally get an extension for a further 6 months in exceptional circumstances ie: certified illness during current 6 months or occassionally if you have been unable to book an attempt at part 3 owing to the DSA having a long waiting list, otherwise I'm afraid you are unlikely to get an extension.

#4 04-10-07 15:12:43

empyell
Verified Member

From personal experience...

Took my first part 3 about 4 months into my first pink, made such a lash-up of it (as documented elsewhere on this forum), I figured I needed some serious work to get myself ready. By the time I was anywhere near ready to book it again, there weren't any available dates before my pink expired.

I applied for another licence (completely fresh application, same form as used for the first one), and got back a letter reminding me that I'd already had a licence for 6 months which had been granted for the purpose of gaining sufficient experience to pass the test, and that they were considering refusing the application.
I was invited to make representations as to why my application should not be refused
(all standard stuff, so I'm told).

In my reply I referred to delays in the booking system which delayed my first attempt at the test, and then prevented me getting a second one in before the licence expired, along with the important (vital?) role that instructing pupils played in my training, highlighting that it would considerably handicap my chances of passing the test next time if I were not able to continue.

New licence came through a couple of weeks later.

#5 04-10-07 16:15:10

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Cheers all  big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 04-10-07 16:29:16

pj
Verified Member

Hi Binty,

You cannot 'extend' a pink licence as such, you need to make a new application for a further licence for 6 months etc. They make a decision as to whether one is issued or not depending on your circumstances and your reasons  for requesting a further licence.

Hope that is some help, I'm sure someone will be along soon who can give you more detailed info.

xx

Thought you knew all about extending the pink licence Andi neutral didn't you do it :?

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#7 04-10-07 18:19:45

Andi

As i said PJ you cannot extend the pink licence, and as far as i know you need to have a good reason and be able to prove it,  before being considered by the DSA for a 2nd licence.

1.gif

#8 04-10-07 22:53:26

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

come to live in N.Ireland. We can get 2 licences no questions. The 2nd 6 months doesnt require any supervision either. Im now on my 4th licence.

#9 05-10-07 07:27:35

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Oh johnny didnt know that, im packing up and on way  lol

#10 08-10-07 18:21:57

weemann
Verified Member
Website

Judging by the way my appeal is going (and what others have said to me) I don't think it's a major issue getting a second licence.  BSM wrote a letter on my behalf asking for a new licence and I got the standard "No" letter back (interesting wording though - "We are considering refusing the application"), but the DSA also took the payment for a new licence out of my account.  Seems they're not considering very hard... 

My second letter details the fact that the waiting lists meant I couldn't get a test date prior to my licence expiring, therefore making it impossible for me to get 3 attempts in whilst still being able to practically benefit from anything learnt at my first (and maybe second) attempt. 

Don't forget, also, that all the time you are appealing, you are covered to continue working (as detailed in the first letter from the DSA).

If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up. The Times, Tues Jun 17, 2008

#11 08-10-07 20:03:50

Dimmy

Once again, I find myself in total agreement with Ev.

I went on a pink, and will support it all the while it is used in accordance with its issue.  that is, to be an ADDITION to regular training.

After failing part3 twice, I had doubts wether I could ever pass. And I had to think long and hard about when to take my 3rd attempt. My pink was due to expire, and I had no alternative employment.
I thought long and hard regarding applying for a 2nd pink, but I finally decided that even if i couldnt get a date before my pink expired, i would not re new it.
If i couldnt gain from the pink what I needed to pass the test in 6 months of full time instructing AND instructional training sessions, then what right did I have to continue instructing pupils for another 6 months (coz, sure as hell, i wouldnt have gone for my final attempt until I'd used up the full pinks 6 months).

For me, it was an ethical dillema. One that I am proud to say was one by my morals more than my personal greed. I'd decided to not apply for a 2nd pink, but instead take additional  part 3 specific training and guidance, and to book the test, wether my pink had expired or not.

The pink scheme  IS abused regularly. My opinion is, if you have been on a pink and instructing full time then you should have  NO RIGHT whatsoever to be granted a 2nd pink. Another 6 months practice with pupils wont help you pass part 3.

How many hours of instructor training can someone reasonably acheive in 6 months?

Personally I think the pink license qualifying hours is too short. 40 hours of training (with many training establishments, that's really only about 25 hours of real personal training).

If the qualifying period was doubled, and the additional hours was also doubled I think many trainees would gain far greater benifit from only then being issued with a pink.

I'm not against someone being granted a 2nd pink for extenuating circumstances  such as ill health/extenuating circumstances etc,  but to be fair, even many of these people could conceivably have their 1st licenses suspended until their health improved/circumstances changed.

Too many PDIs and their sponsors are failing to undergo sufficient on going instructor training that they, as an individual require.

60 hours total training is simply not enough for many pdis, and yet they seem complacent to that fact, all the while the pink training period is running out, but that doesnt matter really, afterall, you can simply get another 6 months of not fully utilising a pink for its intended purpose.

And as for Jonny who is now completing his 2nd year of pink licenses, I find that wholly extrordinary. After 4 attempts at part 3 it is not ongoing practical experience with pupils that will gain you that final success at part 3. specialist part 3 training with a quality trainer will guide you to that green license.

Board footer