You are not logged in.

#1 04-02-05 09:39:54

shelly1972

should i start the advanced training?

i passed my driving test in december,ive done my pass plus,and ive been asked by a friend  if i,d like to go and start the advanced driver training with them this sunday, i,m just wondering if i should,i dont know a lot about ADT and i,m only a new driver myself,would it be worth me trying it  or should i leave it a few years till i have more experiance?

04-02-05 09:39:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: should i start the advanced training?

#2 04-02-05 10:39:53

sss

i wish i had done my advanced driving far earlier than i had.  it will refine your driving and you will be taught things that will stick for the rest of your driving life.

driving is an ongoing learning experience even when you have completed your advanced training, go along you will learn a lot.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 04-02-05 12:37:03

arib
Verified Member
Website

Shelley,

There's nothing stopping you from doing your advanced test at this stage. However, my advice would be, as you've only just passed your test a few weeks ago then first get some further experience of solo driving as you will also learn from this. Advanced driving uses different techniques from standard driving and I feel you will benefit from these techniques once you establish your pattern of driving from what experience you gain after your driving test. You have already gone in the right direction by taking pass plus so put this to good use first, especially motorway driving, before you think of advanced courses.
It's nice to see you are thinking of your driving skills so early.

arib

#4 04-02-05 14:08:16

ExAdiNigel

Shelly,

Who are you looking at doing 'advanced training' with?  How much is it going to cost you?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 04-02-05 17:51:50

Stephen7738

I would say do it now whilst you have hopefully no real bad driving habits all you can do is improve,the only thing at the moment is that you have to have held a full driving licence for a minimum of three months.

I would suggest that you do your ROSPA first if you have a choice however not everyone has a group near them,you can go to the IAM for both of the groups all you have to pay for is your books and test,you can take as long as you like to learn within reason.

Hope this helps have a think about it ask around and make your own choice who to go with,whoever it is i wish you well and no matter how hard it may seem it's worth it in the end.
                  Stephen

#6 04-02-05 18:46:18

shelly1972

i didnt know i,d have to have held a full licence for 3 months, but i tend to agree with arib and just get used to driving on my own for a while. the course my friend is doing  is in blackburn it was £20 to register and then you pay for tests and exams if you wish to take them, ive been and had a look at roSPA but it doesnt look like they  do anything local to my area. so for the time being i,m going to enjoy driving,gain a little more experience and then in summer do the advanced training. thankyou to all for your helpful advice.

#7 07-02-05 06:51:46

ExAdiNigel

What area are you in?

#8 07-02-05 09:54:35

Gizmotime
Administrator

shelly
It is possible for you to start the training if you have held your full licence for 6/7 weeks,because by the time you are ready to take take your test you will have held it for 3 months anyway.
Well that's what we would let you do at our group anyway,this way you still get experience of driving on your own.
Hope this helps you.

#9 07-02-05 18:02:38

Stephen7738

Gizmotime,would the observer who takes out the associate be covered under the group insurance if they had or were involved in an incident whilst out on a drive,presumably the three month rule is written into IAM rules,just a thought will look into it unless you know the answer of the top of your head.
                     Stephen

#10 07-02-05 18:42:09

Gizmotime
Administrator

Stephen once the associate has paid the money to HQ,the Observer's ARE covered on Insurance.
I will double check this but that's what I have been told.

#11 08-02-05 16:19:58

shelly1972

adiNigel, i,m in rossendale lancashire.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 08-02-05 17:23:46

ExAdiNigel

shelly1972 wrote:

adiNigel, i,m in rossendale lancashire.

Just tried doing a search for that and neither multimap nor Ordance survey can find Rossendale.  Am I using the right spelling?

#13 08-02-05 19:22:26

shelly1972

rossendale is the district, i live in rawtenstall its next door to burnley.

#14 09-02-05 08:05:02

ExAdiNigel

Shelly,

Looks as though the nearest RoADA (RoSPA Advanced Drivers Association) groups to you are Blackburn & Manchester (see http://www.rospa.co.uk/drivertraining/r … h_west.htm)

Also check out http://www.iam.org.uk/IAMGroups/region5.php for IAm groups which may be closer for you.

Good luck in whatever direction you go with advanced driving.  RoSPA and IAM usually end up being the most cost effective way of taking your driving further because they are charities and the observers are volunteers.

Nigel

#15 09-02-05 12:33:36

shelly1972

thankyou it was very nice of you to find me that,i must of missed it when i looked.i,m going to go and have a look on sunday and take it from there. ':D'

Board footer