You are not logged in.

#1 06-02-05 20:49:17

Rob
Verified Member
Website

CPD

Why is it that the big Instructor training companies only seem to offer courses to train to become an instructor and not ongoing instructor development?

Correct me if i am wrong because i havent seen any advertised.

Could it be that CPD courses are not as lucrative

06-02-05 20:49:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: CPD

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 06-02-05 21:01:33

Orcharddrive
Verified Member
Website

CPD is being forced upon the instructor industry because, despite there being plenty of training courses and additional qualifications that can be taken after getting a pretty green badge for the windscreen, the vast majority of ADI's are not interested in CPD. Why spend money to advertise when your target audience suffers from apathy?  I know a few of us on this forum do have additional qualifications, such as Dip D.I. but we are a definite minority. I guess that's why !

Visit www.instructor.org.uk for free help and training guides on becoming a driving instructor.

#3 07-02-05 07:53:52

ExAdiNigel

Until the DSA have decided how CPD should operate, what is the point of setting up a course that may not satisfy the criteria required?  Once the DSA have set the syllabus I think you will find a proliferation of CPD courses.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 07-02-05 08:48:09

Nimrod

Hi Rob,

The Instructor College DO offer additional courses!

In fact, I completed the ISMM course back in November and this was included in my (Instructor) course fees.

I look at CPD from a slightly different angle. If I think a particular course will assist me in my chosen career, make me a better instructor and allow me to "sell" myself better - then I'll do it. I don't particularly care whether (or not) the DSA give it their seal of approval.  However, I must make it clear that I do not just do a course because it gives me another certificate on the wall.

I agree about the apparent apathy of some ADI's and cannot understand why anybody that has chosen a particular career path would not want to be better at what they do. I also agree that forcing CPD upon the industry in not the right approach. If there was some kind of "incentive" involved, maybe a few more would be inclined to get off their a**es and do something. Maybe something like a differing set of (ADI) badge colours? The basically qualified ADI would get a Green Badge, those with Dip DI (for example) would get a Silver Badge, those with additional qualifications would get a Gold Badge. Maybe that would enable those with additional qualifications to charge more for their lessons.

Just a thought !!!  And throwing it open to debate!! (Hiding in bunker)

Nim

#5 07-02-05 08:55:08

DAVE-ADI

DSA already do that.

You get a nice green sticker for being good at HPT.

#6 07-02-05 09:07:21

Nimrod

I want a GOLD badge with "Diamond" endorsements. Then I can charge realistically for my time, effort and qualifications.  wink  wink  wink  wink

Nim

#7 07-02-05 09:14:14

TDC
Verified Member

if your pupils are passing their tests and not having accidents post test then what CPD is going to improve on that?  MAybe some instructors dont rush to cpd because they are already getting good results from their pupils? AS for the ISSM  i done that and what a total waste of time  it was so bleeding obvious every single bit of it , im sooo proud of passing it :!:

Im so good its unbelievable

#8 07-02-05 16:49:30

ExAdiNigel

Get the fleet qualification and you get a yellow/beige coloured badge.

Nigel

#9 07-02-05 19:24:36

rachdrive
Website

Hi Nigel

I call it PEACH  wink

Rach  8)

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

#10 07-02-05 21:51:14

dth-adi
Verified Member

Jo(e) Public generally has little or no idea as to what colour your badge is and what it means. They are generally looking for the cheapest lessons regardless of what qualifications you have and care not a jot as to what colour your badge is.

If you venture into areas other than learners, additional CPD begins to mean something. Unless the public are prompted one way or the other to recognise CPD in an individuaL ADI, it will remain simply an internal judgement as to the merits of the individual ADI.

For instance, if you have a legal problem, you go to a solicitor. But how many will check to make sure the solicitor you choose has the appropriate expertise in the area you have a problem? Or will you assume that because he/she is a solicitor, they will give you the best service? It's just the same. Not all solicitors have equal skills and abilities in all the areas they could get involved in.

#11 08-02-05 08:07:11

ExAdiNigel

It becomes a joke after a while.

If you are giving paid tuition you have to display your green badge.  You have to be an ADI before you can become fleet qualified.  BUT it is the green badge  and NOT the fleet badge, you have to display when doing fleet work!

Nigel

#12 08-02-05 12:34:52

buzdriver

is a green bage holder breaking the law if he does fleet training with out the fleet bage.

#13 08-02-05 21:35:57

Airmiles

Even Doctors are getting CPD on driving and a certificate to hang in their surgery.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/at_a_glance/symposium.pdf

Wait until MERIT / DSA require ADIs to do mandatory first aid training, for yet another CPD certificate to frame and hang up on the wall.

#14 08-02-05 22:08:36

dth-adi
Verified Member

is a green bage holder breaking the law if he does fleet training with out the fleet bage.

No!

Board footer