You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 22-08-07 22:44:18

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Do you know your road signs?

Article in the daily mirror today regarding road signs....

Must admit out of the 20 i got 19...there was one id never seen before...yellow rectangle with a black HR on it....means holiday route apparently cant say ive ever seen any of those.

In a survey fewer than 10% could name all 20. Most drivers (70%) said they used sign-ology (mix of logic & common sense to work them out). A fifth ignored signs they didnot understand.  Women are supposed to be the worst culprits (no gloating now guys  lol )

It also said that women aged 40 - 49 who drive volvos are the politest  lol made me chuckle that as i thought it was only guys in flat caps who drove a volvo  smile

22-08-07 22:44:18

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Do you know your road signs?

#2 23-08-07 05:47:14

Gizmotime
Administrator

There is a very good book you can buy, it's called Know your road signs, it has lots of road signs which are not in the highway code book.
You want to get it, it's £2.99

Giz

#3 23-08-07 06:23:45

ExAdiNigel

When I started this game, the one that caught me out was the 'No explosives' sign, indicating that you are not allowed to carry explosives along a particular stretch of road.  Thought the sign was a bit pointless - surely anyone that would want to carry explosives isn't going to take much notice of a sign, are they?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 23-08-07 08:55:13

Lucky245
Verified Member

Slightly off topic but I remember years ago there used to be a sign informing drivers to drive on the left hand side of the road.  This was as you were coming into the Dover ports.   Always made me laugh, if you'd driven around the UK in the right hand lane up to that point and survived why change for the last 1/2 mile.  big_smile

"Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean its wrong!!!"

RoADA Gold

#5 23-08-07 09:36:33

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Giz ill look out for it.

Yer nigel that was the one i 'guessed'...very bizarre sign  lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 23-08-07 11:01:46

pj
Verified Member

When I started this game, the one that caught me out was the 'No explosives' sign, indicating that you are not allowed to carry explosives along a particular stretch of road.  Thought the sign was a bit pointless - surely anyone that would want to carry explosives isn't going to take much notice of a sign, are they?

Nigel

that one makes me laugh, although I think to myself if the sign isn't there is it ok to carry explosives now then neutral lol,   not tried it though wink   Don't think I've ever seen it anywhere, perhaps Luchell or someone else near an army camp has it nearby :?

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 23-08-07 11:21:39

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

I thought it was only guys in flat caps who drove a volvo

I drive a Volvo and wear a baseball cap. big_smile 

I always thought that the government brought that one in to try to keep the IRA out of our cities. big_smile But of course it didn't work because they didn't know what it meant. big_smile

Seriously of course it is used to direct the legitimate carriers of explosives away from particular areas, probably those where there are electronic emissions that might set them off, (though without a detonator in I don't know how that could happen) and also away from more likely areas of dangers from crashes etc.

This was as you were coming into the Dover ports.

They were supposed to be there to remind people coming off the ferries, so the local yobs had probably turned them round.

#8 23-08-07 12:11:33

Dimmy

adiNigel wrote:

Nigel

that one makes me laugh, although I think to myself if the sign isn't there is it ok to carry explosives now then neutral lol,   not tried it though wink   Don't think I've ever seen it anywhere, perhaps Luchell or someone else near an army camp has it nearby :?

Most tunnels will have that sign on entry. (Blackwall,  QE, and Rotherhithe are some close examples to you).

Explosives have civilian applications too and not just military. Demolition experts, mining companies, and some construction companies need to transfer explosives around in vehicles and they would need to comply with such warning signs.
I also suspect firework manufacturers and suppliers will also need to comply with the same signs.

#9 23-08-07 12:15:47

Dimmy

The drive on left signs at Dover Approach are there to remind drivers that the dock area remains under UK driving regulations and I believe were put up following several incidents involving heavy goods vehicle drivers changing over to driving on the right at Dover Approach.  roll

As has been said, seeing as anyone approaching the docks must have got there already on the left, it beggars belief why they'd then think they need to drive on the right, but apparently they were.

#10 23-08-07 12:30:47

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

lol sowwieeee peg  smile

#11 23-08-07 21:59:35

Luchell
Verified Member

I haven't seen one yet P.j, the signs i do see saying 'warning unexploded bombs' or along those lines always makes me feel a tad worried  lol

Board footer