You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 06-08-07 20:47:49

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

i need a boost

since i have failed my ADI  theory test i feel like i have let myself down

i really want to do get throught this  and be out there soon teaching ppl to drive as i love talking to ppl and driving

does anyone else feel like this or it it only me being silly

em xx

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

06-08-07 20:47:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: i need a boost

#2 06-08-07 20:53:23

Gizmotime
Administrator

No your not being silly at all, it's human nature to feel like you do. I should know Em. wink
Best of luck hun you know what they say, If at first you don't succeed try try again wink

Giz

#3 07-08-07 04:40:29

sw
Verified Member

I'm sure many people on here have felt the same as you do right now, I know I did, wanted to give it all up at one point. Training to be an ADI is a journey, a roller coaster of emotions for many of us but you will get there. Keep plugging away at it and you'll get there and it'll all be worth it. Keep thinking positive.

#4 09-08-07 12:14:03

richardhead
Verified Member

I wouldn't fret too much about not passing your Part 1 first time, seeing as there are unlimited attempts. The downside, of course, is the expense of re-takes. It took me a couple of attempts, so it's not unusual.

Don't be too downhearted at this stage Emma - there'll be plenty of time for that when you do the part 3!! Just kidding - keep plugging away, as everyone says, and be prepared for plenty of hard work, and, at times, frustration.

Many people mistakenly think a love of driving or chatting to people are the prerequisites to be a successful ADI. While they might help a little, stickability, common sense, and enthusiasm, are much more important.

#5 09-08-07 19:42:32

Luchell
Verified Member

Great advice above Emma, be prepared for more of these times whilst you are training, it takes perseverance. If you REALLY want it you can get it  wink

#6 09-08-07 19:50:12

hector
Verified Member
Website

Emma the only thing i would worry about is the DSA snaffling up your £50 quid!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#7 09-08-07 20:40:39

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Chin up hun  big_smile

personally i prefers flakes to boosts  wink  lol

#8 12-08-07 20:43:15

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

lol hector its £75.00 i wish it was £50.00

thanks everyone for your advice

is it worth me to study on the parts i failed on or to do the 4 stages

thanks again emma xxxx

x emma x

#9 12-08-07 21:31:01

Luchell
Verified Member

Study all of them Emma or it could come back to haunt you  smile

#10 13-08-07 06:32:44

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

Keep practising the entire question bank until you are confident with all areas. Do not consider your first attempt at part 1 as a failure, merely a test of your commitment.

Good luck.
Keefidee

#11 13-08-07 22:17:17

fatcat
Verified Member
Website

wait until you try the part 3 then you wont think the part 1 was anything to worry about

i need more cash not more work

#12 14-08-07 16:10:24

kev elliott

Emma,
You are NOT being silly to feel dissapointment that you have not passed the part 1 test at the first attempt.

What did you have problems with? Was it the qeustions or the hazard perception part?

If was the hazard perception part you are most certainly not alone with this many people struggle with it. The only advise I would offer here to practise, Practise and practise some more on as many different clips as you can- ideally you want to be able to have so many that you cannot remember where the hazards come - pointless exercise just repeating the same few clips time after time as you will learn where the hazards are and not really improve your ability to score highly on the actual test as you need to be able to spot the hazard in a clip never seen before.

With the questions some people find it easier to forget the questions completely and really study the reference material you have so that you understand the reasons why things are done a particuar way. I found this is more effective as you have to understand the material- once you understand it then 9 time out of 10 you have learnt it.  As an example think of MSPSLADA- If you just try to learn by rote

mirrors
signal
position
speed
look
assess
decide
act

This is more difficult than understanding why the sequence is as it is, once you understand that no matter what pressures you are under you will always remember the sequence in the correct order as you have a story to link unrelated words together  to form a logical progression of ideas.

For example

Check MIRRORS to confirm that is safe to SIGNAL, now other road users know what I am doing if it safe then I can adopt the correct POSTION on the road followed by adjusting my SPEED to match what I intend to do. I now need to LOOK again to ASSESS if it still safe to do what I want to do, then I need to make the DECISION what to next, Once I have decided then ACT.
You have learned the sequence by understanding it rather than just learning a list

If you have a sequence to rember that really does not lend itself to the above then try to link it to words that will at least give you a clue as to the order, or to an image that is vivid and memorable for you.

If you make a image of a concept so silly that it sticks in your mind as well that is some much the better - Imagine sat in the exam and you asked about the COA triangle what does mean? Your brain goes blank.
I use d the following image that worked for me - a learner sat on a stool milking a cow, the three legs of the stool are Control, Accuracy and Observation -If any one of these is missing from the stool then the learner cannot complete the task. Perhaps the learner slips of the stool so she is no longer in the right place (accuracy) or they are so concerned about this happening that the control goes out of the window and they forget how to milk the cow, or if the Observation leg is missing then they are concentrating so much on the other 2 that they miss the cows foot heading towards them.

This process helps to cement the concepts in your brian and helps you to recall them years later a classic example of this is the sentence that engineers use to remember the resistor colour code the sequence is

Black,brown,Red, Orange, yellow, green, blue, violet,grey,white

Bad Beer rots our young guts but vodka goes well.

Remember this is just to remember a sequence by putting words together that make sense, rather than a list of unrelated items.

Hope this ramble helps!       

#13 15-08-07 16:03:26

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

hi kev e  thanks for that  it was the questions  i had trouble with the HPT  was the  easy bit .

i will have to just keep at it and hope next time i do it

em xx

x emma x

#14 15-08-07 16:19:08

kev elliott

Emma the key I found to it was to understand why the answer was correct not just to learn the questions parrot fashion, Once you get into this habit I found most things stuck as you more links to it.

The other thing that may help is to draw a mind map - Think of a subject maybe controls and write this in the middle of a blank piece of paper. Then without looking at any reference books link as many things as you can to this topic - Simple starters for this would be hand controls and feet controls which can then be split down into further sub headings of the individual controls. Then perhaps how you use them, what they do dangers associated them - eg coasting for clutch, harsh braking on ice. Try to get as much down on the paper as you can, it does not matter how messy it looks it for benifit as long as it makes sense to you then it is doing its job. You may notice that some topics seem to link togther like gears and clutch  or brakes and steering - explore why they link togther understand what the impacts are - what happens if you brake and steer at the same time - what are the impacts. This type of work will stand you in good stead for the Part 3 when you need to work out why a fualt occurs and how to correct it. Taking the example of steering and braking at the same time it is far easier to explain why not do it because of XYZ rather than try to convince someone using the argument "because this is they way the DSA want it done"

Enjoy yourself and do not rush the Part 1 take your time and get that good grounding in the theory first. 

#15 15-08-07 16:32:33

Dimmy

Before booking the theory test I'd recommend that all PDI's buy ALL the theory CD/DVD products on the market as well as the latest DSA ADI question bank.

Keep taking the CD tests in blocks of 100 questions as well as practicing the question bank in 100 blocks.

Only go for the actual test when you are REGULARLY attaining 98% or higher evey time you do one of the mock exercises.

If you are attaining 95% or lower than you may not be ready for the real test.

Remember, test nerves may effect your performance so allow for this by only being satisfied with 98% or higher on the mock tests on a regular basis.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#16 15-08-07 16:43:30

kev elliott

Before booking the theory test I'd recommend that all PDI's buy ALL the theory CD/DVD products on the market as well as the latest DSA ADI question bank.

Why? _ All the cd packages I have seen have been based on the DSA question bank,  seen one seen them all -to buy all the theroy CD DVD products would seem to me a bit of overkill settle on one that you are comfortable with and use that to measure your performance the one rider to this is make sure that latest version is used. I would say never be satisfied with than 100%, same with any test aim for 100%.  The questions are not that difficult IF you understand the background and what they are looking for. when you take your mock tests look at what you failed on and read research around these areas as they indicate a weakness in your knowledge.

#17 23-08-07 18:54:23

James B
Verified Member

Dont worry about it. I failed part 1 3 times. I then went on to pass parts 2 and 3 1st time without going on a pink.

Relax, study and enjoy yourself - you will be fine

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 23-08-07 18:55:53

kev elliott

Excellent advise!

#19 23-08-07 18:59:26

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

James B wrote:

Excellent advise!

thankyou  xx

i hope i will do it this time  , i hope i wont keep on  waisting  my money

x emma x