You are not logged in.

#1 27-07-07 18:08:23

Carl

Mobile or home number on car

I'm thinking of getting some decals done for the car and to lose the roof box. I'm not sure whether to use my home or mobile number on car car.

I've seen cars with both and can see the pros and cons - do you really want someone ringing your mobile while your pupil stalls for the 5th time at a roundabout!!!

A home number, with code, would tell people who see the car, the area in which you come from. Which works well when in your home area and not so well when you may be working outside your normal area.

Any suggestions?

Carl

27-07-07 18:08:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mobile or home number on car

#2 27-07-07 20:03:57

reddragonbus
Verified Member

People want to see a land line number rather than a mobile number as it gives you more credibility.

I tend not to trust people who hide behind a mobile number.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 27-07-07 20:14:41

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

Yep home number for me.

http://www.learnnpass.co.uk/

Driving should be fun

#4 27-07-07 20:33:30

Disky
Verified Member
Website

use an 0845 number carl, i have had one for years and it works well

They just "mask" the actual home number, and if you ever move it only costs a few £ to update it. i have had mine with www.g0845.co.uk for many years and had no issues with them at all.

Ray

#5 27-07-07 22:02:01

Karenadi
Verified Member

Personally, I don't like anyone I don't know having my home number - all they need to do is give you a call - no one in?  No problem pay a visit and empty your house for you.

My mobile number is on my car and in Yellow Pages. People don't shy away from mobile numbers like they used to.

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#6 28-07-07 12:11:39

kjs
Verified Member
Website

I have both numbers on my car. People don't ring you on your mobile when the pupil keeps stalling, and if they did , I won't know about it coz I switch my mobile off during lessons.

kjs

#7 28-07-07 14:49:14

pj
Verified Member

Got the mobile on the car.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 28-07-07 19:23:30

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

use an 0845 number carl, i have had one for years and it works well

They just "mask" the actual home number, and if you ever move it only costs a few £ to update it. i have had mine with www.g0845.co.uk for many years and had no issues with them at all.

Ray

RAY,
is it a 1 off payment of £9.99?
have you had to pay anymore monies?

if, going by the website this is the case, i think i would go with this idea, then no one has(assumes) your home number, and although the mobile world is getting more and more the "norm" I still prefer to call a "landline"

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#9 28-07-07 21:39:34

Disky
Verified Member
Website

yes al, i believe it is,, i have had mine with them for about 4 years and i have never had to pay anything apart from £2.49 when updating the redirection to a different landline (when moving home).

It cant be redirected to a mobile tho, and you dont need to use it so many times a mont,, i have not used it for 2 months and there are still no charges smile

Have sent my number on to you, try it next week instead of my usual house number

Ray

#10 29-07-07 07:42:33

Carl

I've looked at the 0845 website and it seems really good. It's certainly something to consider, especially as I have a second number through my BT Broadband connection. I could redirect so that I know which calls are business.

Carl

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 29-07-07 11:56:53

Karenadi
Verified Member

I have both numbers on my car. People don't ring you on your mobile when the pupil keeps stalling, and if they did , I won't know about it coz I switch my mobile off during lessons.

kjs

1.  Don't let pupil keep stalling then. lol  If they won't phone your mobile, why would they phone your house: clearly still seen pupil stalling......... :evil:

2.  Keep mine on silent: check it between each lesson and return any calls (handsfree of course).  If they don't leave a number so what? :evil: 

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#12 01-08-07 07:47:49

Target
Verified Member
Website

I can see the advantages for 0845 0800 numbers etc, but not for your average independant.

Personally I avoid these numbers, and the majority of my calls come via mobiles, so I would guess people with free call packages would suffer.

The other problem is getting calls whilst your driving through other areas.

Mobile is so popular now I keep it on the roof sign, the roof sign is on whenever Im driving around locally and during lessons. Although the return on calls from the vehilcle are very low, if not any.

I keep an office number, mainly to give the appearance of a base, although after taking it off the website recently the mobile just went mad, buzzing all day long. I can access the landline from any touchtone phone, so people have a choice.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#13 01-08-07 11:10:42

Top Marks
Verified Member

Mobile number for me, i cover 2-3 different towns, i think a mobile doesn't restrict to a particular area, also i have my website on the roof box --- have had a few web based contacts, because i figure a catchy web ad' is more more likely to be remembered than a phone number at a quick glance!

[IMG]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/markadi_2006/av.jpg[/img]

WWW.Top-Marks-SoM.CoM

#14 02-08-07 10:15:49

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Telephony it is a subject that saps time from my life. Apart from my troubles here's some thoughts.

On my mobile contract it costs a fortune to call anything with an 08 number, even free phone 0800, however land lines are included in the ridiculously large amount of minutes I have on my contract. When we moved house last year and we were waiting to be connected on the land line I was constantly going to the phone box at the end of the road because everybody who needed phoning was an 08 number. In our school we have always used 0800 in all advertising but after this experience, and realising a lot of our potential pupils (customers) live on the end of their mobile, we started putting a land line number in the adverts.

At the moment we can't identify which number is being used so can't give a conclusion to this, but a much better exchange soon will give better reporting.

On our Lphone service we can add an 0845 number in addition to the divert number to divert calls to. There is a one off set up charge of £9.99 for this and no call charges. We can also make the divert number a local land line number for £1.99 per week extra per number so they can also be advertised locally and Instructors don't have to have to have people calling their house.

Telephony has got so advanced that what you can do with what numbers is only limited by your imagination. It is possible in the UK to set up a number from any country in the world, for example France, so the French make and take calls at local and you can call most of the world for less than a BT local call. I would always suggest getting into the mind of your customers and think how they will contact you for the best option.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#15 17-08-07 12:28:23

ScottYoung

Guys,

You could use sipgate.co.uk  This is primarily an internet telephony site similar to skype, however when you sign up you can get a proper geographical number, an 0845 number or an 0870 number for free.

You can then set up a voicemail message to create your customers, their website even allows you to listen to the messages and can be set to txt you to let you know a message is waiting for you.

I have used their service for years for other projects and its always been great.

Board footer