You are not logged in.

#1 13-08-07 18:58:50

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Trainee Licence

Hi

I was wondering what it was like the first time you took a pupil out on a trainee licsence. I am hoping to get my pinkie end of this month, and to be honest I am brickin it thinking about my first lesson teaching. Any tips and words of comfort greatly appreciated neutral

Would like to know at what stage your pupil was when you first met them.

Thanks for looking

sandra

Part 3...April 10th.... 2-2      Delayed success
Part 3...June 22nd......4-3     Delayed success
Part 3...Nov 09th ... 3-3        Delayed success

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!

2nd time around...

Part 1... Passed March 07   1st time
Part 2....Failed March 07
Part 2....Passed May 07
Part 3....Failed Jan 18th 08
Part 3....Failed March 08
Part 3....I think its all over.... IT IS NOW!  Failed oct 08

13-08-07 18:58:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Trainee Licence

#2 13-08-07 19:34:40

driver69

Worse than doing part 3  big_smile

I was really nervous but once the lesson gets going you find you forget about it and start enjoying it.  My first pupil had failed her test a couple of months previous so I was afraid she would know I was "green".  And doing the lesson in the dark didn`t help either.  I actually learned a thing or two from her smile.  When it came to manouvres I asked how she did them with her last instructor and got her to tell me, then just fixed any obvious problems.

I would say try and get a pupil with little or no experience and you might feel more comfortable.  Do your best and enjoy the lesson.

Good luck.

#3 13-08-07 19:54:05

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Thanks for your advice and good wishes. I have a brilliant trainer who has fore warned me about making sure the pupils are capable of doing what they say they can do. I have spoken to my trainer about all different types of pupils I could get and how best to deal with each particular type.

I will let you all know how it goes.

sandra

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 13-08-07 20:00:11

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

Make sure that your pupils can actually do what they say they can do. Keep focused. Remember, you know more than them!

#5 13-08-07 22:11:19

fatcat
Verified Member
Website

Don't believe everything a pupil may tell you most of them exaggerate

i need more cash not more work

#6 15-08-07 19:26:43

maders
Verified Member
Website

i will also be gettting my pink licence, im planning to have it by oct, so i hope that there will be plenty of pupils to train. i think im a confident person, but it still scares me. i have read the forum and you guy have given some brilliant advice, i will be taking some of it as well

i know that when you a trainee, your not expected to earn lots of money, but i have a spare 21hrs per week after my studying time, i have worked out that i could earn abit of extra cash. do you think this is a good idea or not??

'be driven to success'

#7 15-08-07 22:41:10

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Nervous & exciting.....couldnt believe how fast the lesson went. And that pupil passed his test today, told him hed been my very first pupil & that i was probs more nervous than him.
Stay focused....cover all u need to...listen to what experience they say they have....(as said above dont assume anything tho)....stay in total control
Very best of luck let us know how it goes  big_smile

#8 15-08-07 22:52:44

maders
Verified Member
Website

thanks alot, i will do!

'be driven to success'

#9 15-08-07 22:59:02

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Yip maders uve got the right idea, dont use it to earn a living...use it alongside ur training/studying as an extra tool. I know theres always a big debate re the pink...but for me its working well, im earning some pocket money (after outgoings), enjoying it (so i know ill enjoy the job wen qualified), and learning loads. Good Luck  big_smile

#10 15-08-07 23:18:01

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

pink is a great tool use it dont abuse it. i loved my first lessons, after the initial nerves training kicks in and as binty says it's gone in a flash. remember you know more than they do smile. a third gear instead of first could kill you   roll ie watch. and most of all remember L means learner! also liar - be warned big_smile  :evil: have fun and learn. not a substitute for lack of training, buddy work and study but a great way to learn the patter,experience and confidence. good luck

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#11 15-08-07 23:20:23

Dimmy

If you are already working full time, then I wouldn't recommend doing any more than 10 hours of lessons a week.

10 hours of lessons requires travelling time of approx 2 1/2 hours.

Add in lesson preperation time, another 2 hours of paperwork plus another hour dealing with the franchise administration,  all means the hours soon add up, and none have been personal study time.

Full time franchise and I'd sugguest no more than 30 hours of booked diary time, allowing for cancellations and dead diary periods this will typically give a return of 25-27 hours of lesson time.

I've checked my diary and every week I actually did 30 hours, I was actually out of home for 37 hours.
For a 20 hour week I was out of home for 28 hours.

I hope these numbers help you to work out what amount of time you will actually need when on a pink license, and how much time is actually required,  in real terms.

Sitting in a car, paying FULL attention to your pupil, and the road and still concentrating on giving a proffesional service and high level of education is exhausting, and few people actually realise exactly how much concentration, and the resulting mental strain, that results in difficulty to switch off properly, even when sitting at home with the fone switched off.

#12 15-08-07 23:20:53

maders
Verified Member
Website

well i will be keeping my full time job as well, i work shifts so its not too much of a problem for me

but thanks again

'be driven to success'

#13 15-08-07 23:30:22

maders
Verified Member
Website

i have done some figures and to make money so that i can cover petrol and the francise, i need to work about 15-20 hrs a week, which i can do, coz i only really work 3-4 days a week, im going to take it easy at 1st, i know what you mean about concentration and it is a strain on you brain.

im willing to do the hours and the paperwork is not a problem. i just want to get out there and see if this is me, my worst worry is that i have done all this training, which has been hard, but enjoyable. i get to training and its not working for me??

'be driven to success'

#14 15-08-07 23:37:24

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

i agree with dimmy here 10 hrs on top of a full time job, study ,training etc MAX ! whilst enjoyable and useful its also more taxing than you imagine.

bit like pt 3 training but when the trainer stops and "debriefs" you in his own inimitable way?   roll the learner puts you both in hospital.
start slow and see how you go. good luck again

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring

#15 16-08-07 19:20:32

maders
Verified Member
Website

i see, well i will take it slow and see how i go. but i still need to get a franchise for the 6mths, i dont want to go with bsm, coz they are a rip off.  i have been contacted by a few local driving schools who seem to be intersted in helping me, so who knows im going to call them next week when im off work

'be driven to success'

#16 16-09-07 19:31:14

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Little write up on how my first lesson went.
Picked pupil up. Checked eyesight and lic. Q and A on past experience, said she had lessons bout 7 years ago then got pregnant so no more until while ago with family member.
Drove her to quiet area , as I was driving, tried to tell her things but she was telling me her life history. She has just passed theory.
Got to suitable area then swapped seats. Went thru cockpit drill then could see she was dying to drive, so done bit move off stop which was ok. We then drove round left turns, she was not too bad but as she was checking centre mirror then left mirror, her position had gone wide into road turning into, there was not any serious danger. Also, she was moving close to curb when coming in from going round parked cars, I had to help her steer couple of times. She did a couple of junctions and again position big problem.

To be honest, the hour went so quick but she was very happy with what she had done and said she felt very relaxed with me.

Looking back now, although I had to find out what she could and couldn't do, I feel I should have perhaps pulled her over a bit more to explain faults. She finds it very hard to combine mirrors with everything else she has to do. I also found myself waffling a bit about other things which I should have probably left until future lessons, may have bombarded her head with too much. But at least I realise that now and can correct next time.

Anyway, it went better than I thought it would, think it will be more of a challenge with complete beginner.

So I thought that next lesson with her, brief her on mirrors again and also left turns explaining MSM and positioning when turning.Then concentrate on left turns until she gets it right.

I must have been ok as she has booked another lesson next week.

Thanks for advice you have all given me,  especially karen

Love that pink badge.

Sandra PDI xx

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#17 16-09-07 20:29:26

Karenadi
Verified Member

Well done Sandra: waiting for the next lesson now...............................

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#18 23-09-07 15:24:44

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Hi all,

Had a right challenging lesson today. First timer 17 year old who knows nothing. Had 2 hour lesson where we covered cockpit drill/controls/move off/stopping and few little left turns.  His steering was amazing, he was driving it like a racing car! Explained pull push but he could not get it right. Its so hard to explain and to understand, but told him to practise with tray or plate for next lesson.

It was quite an eye opener and to be honest, I was not looking forward to this one, I felt quite nervous, but I got thru it. I could not believe that I had to explain every tiny thing that is so obvious to me.

Anyway I have survived my first beginner lesson.

Now second lesson from lady last week went great today. I briefed on left turns and we drove round and did some of them.She was not bad but seemed to keep getting close to curb, but she was ok after i explained dangers. Her turning was miles better than last week, better positioning and speed was nicely controlled. She was so chuffed how much better she had done from last week, so I must be doing something right!
She sais it was good to have somebody who has faith in her... well, I did until we got to a smallish roundabout, she wanted to have a go at turning right, so I said ok, well little did I even think she was starting to turn right, but NOT ROUND the roundabout, just right as if it were a junction! Oh god, you have never seen me grab that wheel so quick, bit scary. I am already seeing the joys of this job!!!???!!

Anyway, pleased with today, bit stressful but overall I feel quite happy with myself.
I must say the only problem I worry about, is finding suitable areas for different pupils, I tend to stay on comfy roads I know. I will have to venture bit more as do not want them to get bored with me.

Having the pinkie is so different from just training with trainer. Although I have a brilliant trainer who does act well as a pupil, in 3 lessons I have used the controls so much. Also with trainer my mouth is just dumb most of the time, where as with real pupils I do not stop talking, Q&A and loads seems to come out my mouth, its great.

I will keep you informed on progress and good luck to anyone about to go on pink.

Thanks for reading

Sandra PDI x

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#19 30-09-07 14:55:05

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Hi all
Had a great hour lesson just with new lad from last week. He is starting to improve on pull push, although he is steering in little moves round wheel instead of pulling down more, he has got the jist of it, so with more practise he should be ok.  He also is remembering to take foot off gas when changing gear, something he did not do last week.

He said he feels so much more confident now and he really enjoyed his lesson. When he did a smooth gear change today, I praised him and his little face lit up. Ah bless!

I have noticed myself putting things right verbally which maybe I had not got right last time. I feel I am still learning and finding it easier to explain now. I also can not believe how much I have used my controls and grabbed the steering wheel, I never thought I would ever get the hang of using them, as with my trainer, I was hardly ever in control, my fault not his.

I also have new lady learner. She told me over the phone that she had had 20 odd lessons 20 years ago. She reckons she was ready for test then, but never carried on for one reason or another. She also told me that she feels more confident now she is older.
Anyway, picked her up and drove to quiet road. Bit Q&A and went through cockpit drill. She knew what foot pedals were and gears.  Done bit moving off/stopping. Not too bad, but she was finding it hard to co-ordinate pedals and at one stage used her left foot to brake! had drive round but she was getting feet mixed up a bit and coasting.. Only to be expected after 20 years I suppose. She said that she thought she would be able to get in car a drive without a problem. Took her by suprise how much practise she may need.  She felt very comfortable with me, and has booked block 10.

I must say that it boosts my confidence so much when they rebook and comment on how relaxed I make them feel. I also can not believe how calm I am in  little bit scary situations. With trainer(who is brilliant), I just used to panic and go dumb. I think this part 3 test has alot to do with knowing the examiner is an examiner and not a real pupil. With real pupil, I know I and only ME is in control.

Well hope you have enjoyed reading my update.
Lady has another lesson in the week, so I will be back to let you know how it goes.

Sandra PDI x

I will keep you informed. I am starting to enjoy it.

San xx

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#20 30-09-07 21:21:29

Karenadi
Verified Member

Well done Sandra: don't forget though: give yourself time to evaluate every lesson you do.  Then you'll learn from them: whatever you do, don't overload yourself.  I'd of said even 10 hours would be far too much.  You need time to yourself to relax with little Patch too.

#21 30-09-07 23:00:53

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

well done sandra !each pupil will be diff, the point of the pink is to learn, if you earn you prob took your eye off the ball? worked for me? good luck o/

#22 30-09-07 23:01:58

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

leach? lol sorry  big_smile

#23 03-10-07 06:01:14

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Hi

Well lady had another lesson last night. Still quite jittery and bit nervous but coordination of controls improved a bit. Her steering is a bit all over the place too. Told her she needs to look where she is going cos hands follow eyes etc...
She made me laugh because at end of lesson, she said can I do reversing next lesson? I thought, hang on a bit, best to learn how to drive forward I think!
Well, we come to an agreement, going to do turn in the road next lesson as this will help her with her pull push and clutch control, as well as doing a bit of reversing. They do make you smile don't they?

Back soon

Sandra PDI x

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

#24 03-10-07 21:32:32

Karenadi
Verified Member

Smile is the understatement of the year Sandra.  I'm not sure what I'd do with some of them.

Wait until you take one for a driving test, and they come back with a handful of driver faults and a serious for trying to do a hill start in REVERSE GEAR!  When asked what the heck one was playing at I was simply told, 'I can't help it - it's me nerves'

:x :x :x :x :x

I was fuming!  £90 wasted for a wrong gear. 

Yes Sandra: you have to smile: else you'd go round the flaming twist! lol lol lol

#25 20-10-07 16:58:43

stsmith2212
Verified Member

Hello

Well I have done more lessons on various pupils. The lady in previous thread is doing great, her confidence is improving every lesson. I have got pupils at different levels, but little problem with my beginner. He is 17 and has had 4 lessons so far. His pedal work is getting there, but his steering isn't. I have tried to drum into him pull-push and although he understands what he should do, when putting it into practise, he just doesn't get it, any tips? It is too soon to do T I R, I tried it last week. Only thing I have got for his lesson tomorrow is a steering wheel cover for him to have a go on. I felt he was a little disheartened last week as he never made any progress, and I felt a bit concerned then incase I was letting him down a bit..and should be doing more to help.

This pink is a massive help and learning tool. I think being on the pink is a must for getting prepared for that GREEN BADGE that I now so desperatly want.

Anyway, I am enjoying every minute, nerves before lessons are gone, except bit with new pupils, and my confidence is growing day by day. Wished I had gone on pink first time round, but nevermind lets look to this time round and hopefully will get a better outcome than last time.

Sandra PDI X

2nd time around...

Part 2....Passed May 07

Board footer