You are not logged in.

#1 13-01-05 15:43:53

donegalbiddy

Lesson Plans

Hi, anybody help out with suggestions as to best way of putting together lesson plans, Q&A, pst etc.  Takes alot of thought, sat down last night but the pen never reached the paper!  lol  roll

I know once I get started I'll be on a roll, but actually getting started seems to be the bogey!!

13-01-05 15:43:53

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Lesson Plans

#2 14-01-05 10:53:31

Gaz_ADI

Hi,

What I did during training was to get on my pc with the diagrams that the college had given me and started from scratch just roughly copying them to give me an idea. As you go through your briefings you will add and take away bits from the diagrams. Also type out the briefings yourself as this will help you remember the more important parts of them.

Once you have done this a few times you will soon find that the diagrams hardly resemble the ones you given in the first place at all and you have made them your own, but more importantly you know exactly whats in them.

Q&A's you will pick out from your briefings and from your lessons on part 3 training, jot them down and when you get home again put them on your pc and fiddle about with the notes you have.

It takes a while but soon comes together, good luck.

Gaz

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 14-01-05 11:31:19

E.D.A. Driving Academy Lt

I am assuming you are a trainee and not new qualified ADI.

If your being trained correctly these should be given to you.

The ADI trainng officer should set every lesson up for you. That is he / she sits in the driving seat and pretends to be the pupil and his/her voice is the ADI. He then with diagram book gives pupil a briefing on subject to be taught.

The Pupil (adi playing role) does the subject/manouver while his voice being the ADI talks through the exercise. At the end a debrief is given on how well performed starting with the good stuff and progressing (no not to the bad stuff) but what has to be worked on and encouraged of course.

This the pupil should have taped , and takes home and listens to tape several times puting on paper. Transcribing. A copy in three days should reach the ADI trainer for examination, just a look.

The PDI then should by use of notes and diagram manual as supplied practice teaching an imaginary pupil in his /her car . The PDI sitting in passnger seat.  He or she can tape this and change seats then play the tape back pretending to be the pupil and see IF IT MAKES SENCE.

Next lesson you will be asked to teach this subject and corrected when required. Also set up as last week with a new subject.

On that same lessom any previous subjects taught will be at random sellected for further mprovement.

You will only make progress by repeatedly practising these subjects week after week in addition to the new ones.

I hope this has helped.

ken.Benson-Clarke
ADI Num 152248
ORDIT 0170

Ken

#4 14-01-05 12:27:17

donegalbiddy

Thanks u guys.  I think my mind is going blank and playing games with me just now.  I know that the diagrams and the lesson plans that I have been given from the college are there to help but it all seems a bit daunting at the moment.

I was just hoping to get a head start, in the right direction, if you know what I mean, once you get started thats the easy part, its how to go about it. 

I appreciate the advice and am looking forward to my 40 hours starting next week. big_smile

#5 14-01-05 13:04:44

Gaz_ADI

Hi,

I take it you are training with the instructor college in Glasgow. I trained with them also, allbeit a few years ago now. It has changed a bit but not too much. I did the 40 hours all in the one week as well. It is hard work and at one stage you will probably think that you will never get it, but funny enough things do start to come together.

Gaz

#6 14-01-05 13:36:15

donegalbiddy

Hi Gaz,

Yep training with the Instructor College, they're a great team I think.  Starting the 40 Hours next Monday through to Friday, and yeah this is what is a bit scary, thinking I should know more than what I do.  So am I to assume that as each day progresses, it gets easier?

Thanks, hope you have been a success, did you go trainee first? Have you went solo/franchise? too many questions, soz   :oops:

#7 14-01-05 13:54:50

Gaz_ADI

I agree that the one in Glasgow is good, the Senior Instructor is still the same although he wasn't the Senior when I was there, he taught me for part three.

No don't assume that as each day goes it gets easier, everyone is different obviously but what I found was that things were really difficult and getting harder each day until about the Wednesday then it started to get slightly easier for the rest of the week.

I didn't go trainee at all, and to be honest I haven't really got a view on whether its best to go trainee or not. Each has their merits and downfalls. After I passed I went to BSM for six months but didn't like it much, too far between lessons and too many late nights. I then bought a cheap car, Fiesta and took most of my pupils and went solo. After that I bought another car and started my own small school to cut a long story short.

Don't worry about the amount of questions, I can handle it.  lol

#8 14-01-05 15:01:39

donegalbiddy

Cheers Gaz,

This boards great for gettin all sorts of advise like this and helps you through the tough times I think.  I only came across it on Monday night and think I am gettin a bit addicted really! lol! no seriously though you've been a great help cos I got all kinds of questions flyin around right now I think thats why I can't really get a start on thinking about lesson plans, Q&A, recaps, briefings etc and John at the College suggests putting together a fault log, great idea but again same old story, gettin it started.  By the way when you said about gettin your diagrams and playin about with them with the pc, did you mean like scan them and change around etc?

#9 14-01-05 16:18:27

Gaz_ADI

You'll get a lot more guidance on Monday at the college about lesson plans. I was a bit like that when I was due to start my 40 hours. It soon makes sense though whats expected, for just now use the college diagrams, make up some Q & A's from the books you were issued and for the moment use the briefings the college have given you. After your 40 hours you will have more time to make up your own.

When I said about getting your diagrams on the pc, scan them if you want, but I drew all mine from scratch again just following the guidance on the colleges notes, but change them around however you want, the important thing is that you understand them and can follow them, try putting the main points in an order that you would mention them in your briefing so that you can use them as pointers and not get confused when giving your brief.

And yes the boards are good for info, even when youre qualified youre still learning all the time.

#10 14-01-05 16:47:02

donegalbiddy

Once again much appreciated Gaz.  Hopefully I will be well prepared for my 40 hrs at this rate.  Just out of curiosity, did you get a car with dual controls fitted or did you get them fitted after buying it?  Told you I got all sorts going on in my head, My nephew wants me to take him out for lessons, he waiting on his provisional coming through.  What you think of hiring the Arnold Clark dual control car? you know much about this is the price quoted approx £7.50 per hour, does that include insurance?  Had previously been thinking about buying extra visual aids etc, friend emailed me telling me about all kinds of things on ebay, what do you think?  Is making your own easier, you would understand more then, but then again, could be useful? Oh there I go again, away ahead of myself sometimes, asking stupid questions :oops:

By the way have you sat your hpt yet?

#11 17-01-05 16:32:25

Gaz_ADI

Hi Sorry I've not replied sooner but havae been a bit busy over the weekend.

Anyway, I had to have the duals fitted to the car, there is a guy from East Kilbride that will supply and fit them, he covers most of the areas round here.

I don't really know too much about the Arnold Clark car, I thought it was £6 per hour and then 30p per mile after that. Its a good idea though if you can get the extra practice in, that does include insurance.

Its definitely easier to buy visual aids, half of mine are bought and half I made myself, so a bit of a mix is good. Your not way ahead of yourself with these things, this is the time when you will make good use of them so go and get them if you need some.

I sat my HPT this morning and got 62, so not too bad but a pass is a pass and the DSA aint getting any money from me.  lol

Hope your first day at the college was good.

Gaz

#12 18-01-05 19:28:16

donegalbiddy

Hi there

Well done on passing your HPT, 62 is a great score, as you say a pass is a pass.  It seemed to be a big dread for any of the ADI's i spoke to but now, at the time of sitting my theory, I was told to complain about it, well I would have anyway cos I thought it was pretty bad considering.  Anyway thanks for all your advice about my part 3 stuff, its great to be able to talk to someone who's been there ( I think my family are avoiding me, cos all I talk bout is driving, lol), no but its true even out for a night with my family last week and I ened up spending most of the night talkin to my brothers friend who is a driving instructor. ( sad but true) It takes a hiold of you.

Great to know about the guy in E.K, just up the road from me when the time comes.  My sister who has had about 60 lessons is perstering me to take her out, maybe she not a great example, but its practice yeah?

And about the diagrams etc, downloaded a few the other night from smart driving, was going to bid for them on ebay, the seller said click here to download free trial, so I did, but they are much the same as what the college gave us in the workbook.  Still on the lookout.

#13 21-01-05 16:29:45

Gaz_ADI

Hi,

Smart Driving is a great source of information for anyone training and even qualified ADI's. I have bought quite a lot of stuff from them and use everything quite regularly. My lesson plans are mostly made up of Smart Driving lesson plans and my own. A lot of ADI's I have spoken to use them as well.

Yes get out with your sister as well, she may have had about 60 lessons but if she still hasn't passed then you still have work you can do with her, even if she has passed then there is still a lot of stuff you could teach her.

Hope everything went well at the college last week, no doubt you probably have many more questions now so just ask, lots of good ADI's on this forum who are more than happy to help.

Gaz

#14 21-01-05 17:48:06

donegalbiddy

Hiya Gaz

Got dates mixed up, its this Monday I go to college.  Do you know, to be quite honest I think I'm more nervous about this than what I was for the other two parts, don't know why but c'est la vie.  Have got myself a dictaphone and am going to take that with me next week and will just take it from there.  Then the questions will come flying lol   roll

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 21-01-05 23:49:25

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

Gaz_ADI wrote:

Its definitely easier to buy visual aids, half of mine are bought and half I made myself, so a bit of a mix is good.

Just a quickie - I totally agree - a mix of professional & personal creates a balance to suit your own style.  Something I've found REALLY useful is a few digital camera shots.  E.g. setting up door mirrors - 'This is what you should see'  Left reverse - when the kerb gets to here, that's the point of turn'  Much easier than a complicated explanation.  I print 'em off and put 'em in plastic wallets then I can scribble on them with a dry wipe marker.  Isn't technology marvellous!  wink

Cheers

CC

#16 23-01-05 08:07:23

ExAdiNigel

Ken,

I don't agree with you.  Perhaps the trainer can provide the basic diagram and a template for a lesson plan, but the trainee is likely to learn more if he/she has a go at completing the lesson plan and prompts, Q&A etc.  'Doing' helps the information to be understood much more.

Nigel

Nigel Allerton
ADI No 270015

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 23-01-05 12:13:37

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

adiNigel wrote:

Perhaps the trainer can provide the basic diagram and a template for a lesson plan, but the trainee is likely to learn more if he/she has a go at completing the lesson plan and prompts, Q&A etc.  'Doing' helps the information to be understood much more.

Nigel

I'm not disagreeing that putting your own lesson plans together is essential for understanding  - as trainees we all did it.  To me however, the objective is to put the information before the learner/examiner in such a way as to maximise understanding in the minimum amount of time.  A picture can save a whole lot of words, and it's something that in my experience, a lot of pupils respond to favourably. 

And how do you know my name is Ken?!?  wink

#18 02-02-05 10:03:13

donegalbiddy

Hi Captain Compass

Thanks for the advice, I can see see what you mean about taking digital pictures and showing the pupil, what they should be looking for.  I remember when I was sitting my learner diriver test and when asked if I could see the kerb out the back window, well I said I could but did not really know why it was so important,  :oops:, so showing the pictures at certain stages would help them understand more. big_smile

#19 05-02-05 16:25:52

luchell

with bsm we start putting a collection of 30 lesson plans together ourselfs with pictures we can make for a cd rom we're given before we've sat our part one we're encouraged to do five inbetween each on road training seesions so under two weeks. its a great way to become confident with them. its actually our assignment 7 that lasts over 3 mths but ive done mine, once i got started i flew through them they become easier as you do them

Board footer