You are not logged in.

#1 25-07-07 16:25:49

Leprechaun

DIAmond

I decided i might as well start my own post rather than keeping on with the previous one

On monday i had my first DIAmond driving lesson and sent off my application for the test  yikes I'm hoping to do my test on the last thursday or wednesday of august so i've got about 4 weeks to work on faults.

I found an ADI to do my lesson (it was one of the ones i said i had in mind on a previous post). He doesn't live in my immediate area so he suggested a convenient meeting place - obviously my first task was to find this place, luckily it was a picnic area with a brown tourist sign directing you to it so that was ok.

We met and did the formalities of paperwork etc and had a laugh at each others' driving licence photos - actually mine is not too bad except its from 7 years ago and i'm a lot lighter than i was so it doesn't quite look like me any more.

I had a 2 hour lesson booked and he said in the first half an hour he wanted to see what my general driving was like. I was slightly apprehensive, partly cos i knew he knows i'm IAM trained so i was prepared to be very embarrassed if there were any major glaring errors in my driving. Fortunately it seems my general driving is not TOO bad but a major downfall is that i don't use my mirrors properly - especially the passenger side door mirror  :oops: :oops: I also came across BOB for the first time (Boy On a Bike) - it's something i know i should've already known but didn't :oops:

My manouevres were the thing i was really worried about - especially parallel park and reverse round a corner. we did the corner first and discovered the first problem is that i'm too small (in relation to the size of the car) to be able to turn round and do the manouevre by looking directly out of the back window so i need to use my passenger door mirror to check the accuracy of the curve while all the time looking round to check there's no other traffic coming from any direction. It needs practice - i also need to try and make the whole manoevre smoother - at one point he said he thought i was playing a church organ with all the pedals :oops:

Afer that we did the TIR which wasn't too bad but again i need to make sure i'm looking in the right places all the time and also i need to move the wheel quicker - slow car fast hands. The PP was the last maouevre we did (we forgot reverse bay park - oops, but i'm not too worried about that one anyway). The PP was ok on monday but with me thats a rather hit & miss manouevre (though not literally wink), it's another one that needs practice   roll

A couple of times he asked me to do some commentary but that wasn't very good sad Not once did i mention the word 'mirrors' - i can see me having nightmares about mirrors!!! Guess what - it needs practice!!!

I need to re-train my brain into DSA thinking rather than IAM way as well. In IAM / Roadcraft you're allowed to straight-line oundabouts as long as it doesn't inconvenience anyone - i was told off on monday for doing that - and it wasn't properly straight-lined - i could've done a much better job if that had been what i was aiming for  big_smile I've also got to get into the habit of signalling ALL the time even if that lane will only take you in that specific direct - which is contrary to IAM advice  neutral

When we got back to our meeting place we had a drink and he filled in his bit of my application form for me. I've got another lesson towards the end of August so thats about 4 weeks to sort out my problems  yikes I hope it all goes to plan!!! Though i do like practising driving stuff cos it's something you can do all the time - it doesn't need timetabling and thinking about specifically (except the manouevres).

Right i'm off to practise!!

25-07-07 16:25:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: DIAmond

#2 25-07-07 19:00:31

sam19

thats excellent went a lot better than my lesson im on the look for a 4th adi now lol ive got one in mind but im waiting until after my holiday now going to concentrate on horses over the summer.

#3 25-07-07 19:08:53

pj
Verified Member

So you met BOB did you get introduced to TOM as well (twat on motorbike wink)

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 25-07-07 19:15:26

Jimothy
Verified Member

So you met BOB did you get introduced to TOM as well (twat on motorbike wink)

You can't use language like that when you're teaching - it must against some code of conduct or other!

Besides which you should not tar all of US motorcyclists with the same brush as the twits!

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor
Driving Standards Agency Registered Fleet Driver Trainer
ORDIT registered instructor trainer
Accredited BTEC Trainer (Driving Science)
IAM Registered Instructor
IAM Observer

#5 25-07-07 20:25:34

Leprechaun

I didn't meet TOM no, but i was also introduced to Twit On a Scooter - i don't like that acronym though sad

And that led me to thinking about MOM - Man On a Motorbike wink

#6 25-07-07 20:31:37

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Lep

why Diamond test and not Rospa??

Regarding straightening of roundabout, what did you get wrong there?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#7 25-07-07 20:53:08

Leprechaun

hi hector - theres no RoSPA group near me - i'm in liverpool and the nearest group is manchester, it's a bit far to be going on a regular basis.

on the roundabout i was taking the 2nd exit i think (straight across) from the LH lane and instead of actually driving properly round the edge of the circle i sort of straight-lined to about half way round the curve - i think anyway, and it's a bit hard to explain in words  :oops:

#8 01-08-07 20:02:55

ExAdiNigel

Provided you checked mirrors thoroughly, what's wrong with that?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#9 01-08-07 20:55:49

hector
Verified Member
Website

Nothing.

I wouldnt mark a fault for a safe straight line on Diamond advanced, when i did my training to be a Dia examiner, this did come up and was deemed acceptable if safe.

I wouldnt trust most other Dia examiners to see it in the same way though!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 02-08-07 15:34:23

ams
Verified Member

I didn't meet TOM no, but i was also introduced to Twit On a Scooter - i don't like that acronym though sad

And that led me to thinking about MOM - Man On a Motorbike wink

How about TOM - The Other Motorist. Thats a much "nicer" version!!

Had missed the fact that you were doing DIAmond Lep - guess thats because I haven't been in the chat recently. Good luck anyway.

Qualified Oct 2001 - 1st Attempt 5/4.
Cardington Grade A.
Institute of Advanced Motorists.
NVQ A1 Assessors Award.
ORDIT registered parts 1, 2 & 3.
Grade 6 - April 07

#11 05-08-07 13:09:04

Leprechaun

Thanks guys

Nigel - the way my mirror use was that day it's highly likely i hadn't checked my mirrors thoroughly. Also as hector said DIA examiners may not like straight-lining so i'm trying not to do it any more. I did notice yesterday one roundabout i do regularly, i deliberately drove round the outside of the curve and it made me realise just how much i usually straight-line that particular one at least  yikes yikes

ams - thanks for TOM i do like that one - so now i'm looking for BOB and TOM while i'm driving  big_smile big_smile

#12 05-08-07 14:00:51

ExAdiNigel

Thanks guys

Nigel - the way my mirror use was that day it's highly likely i hadn't checked my mirrors thoroughly. Also as hector said DIA examiners may not like straight-lining so i'm trying not to do it any more. I did notice yesterday one roundabout i do regularly, i deliberately drove round the outside of the curve and it made me realise just how much i usually straight-line that particular one at least....

OK, if your mirrors were lacking then definately an error.  If, however, mirrors are checked thoroughly then I would argue like hell with a DIA examiner.  The examner should be checking your driving against the DIA criteria not an individuals personal preferences!

Nigel

#13 05-08-07 14:12:16

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

I feel like we’re back in Nursery school whenever people start to talk about this Bob and Tom business - it drives me up the wall.

If the idea is to make a commentary easier ( I’m assuming this is the reason for it ) then it surely defeats the whole idea of the commentary ( that is to make you look ahead ) so you have time to comment and elucidate accordingly.

Just a personal opinion.

Good luck with the test.

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#14 05-08-07 19:00:57

ExAdiNigel

I will occasionally use the Bob & Tom phraseology if someone isn't checking consistantly, usually as a means of introducing humour.  Wouldn't bother using that phrase in a commentary though.

Nigel

#15 09-08-07 09:49:32

Leprechaun

Well the money for my test has gone out of my bank account now but i've changed my mind about when i want to do the test  neutral Initially i was hoping for the end of august but i've decided now i want to leave it till hlf term so i've got more time to practise and if necessary have more lessons with my ADI. I've not spoken to the examiner to arrange anything yet so i'm hoping it won't be a problem   :? neutral

#16 13-08-07 13:36:45

Leprechaun

oohhhh i'm scared now - i've got a test date booked  yikes yikes The examiner has just rung me.

It's in october (no i'm not giving you a date)  tongue

When i found out her name i was scared i knew her but it turns out she's not who i thought she was - but she does know that other person.

The only concern i have is my eyesight, she said i do have to be able to see the 27.5m otherwise i can't do the test sad I have to try and test my own eyesight approximately to see if i can read the numberplate at the correct distance - i really hope i can!!!!

Oh well, here's to loads of manouevres practice between now and october

#17 13-08-07 16:49:00

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

The only concern i have is my eyesight, she said i do have to be able to see the 27.5m otherwise i can't do the test sad I have to try and test my own eyesight approximately to see if i can read the numberplate at the correct distance - i really hope i can!!!!

Oh well, here's to loads of manouevres practice between now and october

This could be worrying!
Has your instructor not tested it?
qualified driver or not it is your responsibility to ensure that at all times you conform to the regulations re fitness to drive.

#18 13-08-07 17:05:33

Leprechaun

i know i can see enough for a 'normal' driver (20.5m ???), i do get my eyes checked regularly - its the extra 7m or so for the DIAmond / ADI standard that i'm concerned about sad

#19 21-08-07 20:31:33

Leprechaun

Well i've had my 2nd DIAmond driving lesson today and i've had my customary pre-practical-test panic / wobble yikes

It was going ok driving-wise, apparently my mirror checks which WERE a problem last time have much improved big_smile Also my commentary is better but i need to get rid of superfluous stuff and also mention the fact that i AM checking my mirrors - i am checking but not telling anyone about it  roll

The problem comes in my manouevres sad We did reverse bay park first. The ADI told me to reverse into any bay i want so i went for one on the right cos there was loads of space around. It wasn't very good sad i'm using my mirrors too much and not using a reference point to turn by sad I said i can probably do it better towards the left so we had a go at that. It was better but still not quite right - the main problem being that i use my rear view mirror rather than looking through the back window. The main problem as i see it is that i can actually see better through the mirror rather than looking out of the window. We were having quite a discussion about this and i'm convinced i can see better and judge things better by looking in the mirror rather than the window but my ADI was saying he was quite concerned that the examiner will not necessarily appreciate this as it's not the 'done' way. I can understand what he was saying but in practical terms for me the 'done' way makes it more difficult. I could feel myself getting a little bit upset / frustrated at this but thankfully for me we left it there.

i'm not sure where that leaves me in regard to the test neutral

We went to do a reverse round the corner and initally that wasn't very good either sad the ADI talked me through the manouevre again including appropriate points of turn so that i can go away and practise.

We then attempted the parallel park and this is where my real problems began sad I didn't know what i was doing with it and the first few times we found a car to park by other cars came into the road and i was getting flustered not wanting to inconvenience anyone and i was thinking by me doing the PP and others having to wait they might get angry etc - especially as i'm not in a learner car so it's not obvious why i'm doing that particular manouevre.

At one point i did the manouevre very hurriedly and very badly and i was so frustrated and said "that was pants"! My ADI said it was just blind panic, he didn't seem particularly bothered but i was so flustered / annoyed / frustrated with myself i actually ended up crying :cry: :oops: He said just take 5 and chill so that's what i did. When i'd calmed down he talked me through points of turn and i kind-of understood but said i don't do well with words so he drew some pictures for me which made it clearer.

After that i had a few practices using different target cars and although they still weren't perfect they were certainly beginning to get better and at least i now know HOW things are supposed to happen so i've got a better chance of practising to get it as near enough perfect as i can.

I now feel better about my manouevres - they do still need practise but i know what i'm supposed to be doing - i think!

Board footer