You are not logged in.

#1 02-08-07 08:11:24

Elliot

BSM PART TIME FRANCHISE

Hi - I just wondered if anyone has been on a pink licence with BSM doing a part-time franchise.  For 11-15 hours of lessons a week you come out with about £6.50ph to cover petrol and tax/NI?  Although this doesn't seem a lot, the pink licence is of course for gaining experience, not making money so i'm not too concerned with the finance side but more of the support they received from BSM and if there is anything they could warn me against or alternatively tell me anything good about them.  Thanks a lot.

02-08-07 08:11:24

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: BSM PART TIME FRANCHISE

#2 02-08-07 09:20:58

pj
Verified Member

was chatting to a BSM instructor yesterday who is a friend of my hubby, he was moaning that he only has done 2hrs that day and 2 hrs the day before but BSM still want their £365 franchise payment at the end of the week yikes yikes as soon as his re mortgage was sorted he was leaving quick smart.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#3 02-08-07 09:54:14

Macavity
Verified Member

I did an hourly rate for my pink ticket with BSM and although the experience was good and the trainers and centre staff were lovely I barely scraped subsistence for 6 months. I wouldn't recommend amy kind of franchise unless you were able to do 40+ hours a week guaranteed and regularly.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 02-08-07 10:10:32

den676
Verified Member

was chatting to a BSM instructor yesterday who is a friend of my hubby, he was moaning that he only has done 2hrs that day and 2 hrs the day before but BSM still want their £365 franchise payment at the end of the week yikes yikes as soon as his re mortgage was sorted he was leaving quick smart.

Thought the idea of a franchise was to provide pups.

How can they charge the full fee if they are not doing it?  :?

Why do so many peeps sign up with them?  :?

#5 02-08-07 10:21:18

Luchell
Verified Member

You have to pay their franchise no matter how many hours you have got or done. I remember wanting a few days off of course but i still had the franchise to pay. First 15 hours were the franchise, spent bout 80 to 100 on fuel minimum a week those petrol corsas drink the stuff! Plus i am in a rural area and my diary wasn't really worked out the best way it could be putting pupils in similar areas near each other in the diary if possible.

#6 02-08-07 10:32:54

Elliot

Hold on, i think your getting your knickers in a twist and not understanding what I’m saying.  BSM do 3 franchises.  The 1st one I agree is horrendous at £330+ a week for a full time ADI.  However on a trainee licence they do like a PAYG franchise where for say 1-10 hours at £22.50ph they will take £16.60 for the franchise fee leaving you with £5.90.  If you do 11-17hrs they will take £15.60 leaving you with £6.90.  The fee then goes down for 18+ hours and so on.  So say if you did 15 hours per week over 4 weeks you’d earn £414 per month though you’d need to take off petrol and tax & NI.

So what I’m saying is that surely it’s safe as if they didn’t get you any pupils then you don’t owe them anything.  It’s for them to get you them as that is how they will make their money.  Also you are going to definitely break even or make a small profit even after deductions.  Though I stressed in my previous post that the pink licence is surely about gaining experience and not making as much profit as possible.

#7 02-08-07 10:33:09

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

The part time franchise is probably the best thing about BSM for helping people into the industry. You get paid peanuts, but you get a car, and you can almost guarantee that they will get you customers because if they don't they have a car sitting on your drive losing them money!

When I did my math (about 4 years ago now, so check yourself) once you get over about 20 hours it becomes better to be on the franchise, but if you are just wanting around 15 hours a week it is ideal to start with.

#8 02-08-07 11:06:55

Elliot

Thank you, at last the kind of answer i've been waiting for!

#9 02-08-07 11:37:04

VandADI
Administrator

Agree with Tim, I stuck rigidly with my 16 hours a week to allow study time - I could have worked more hours if I wanted to, the work was certainly there and I had to be very firm with BSM that I did not want to go over the 16 hours.  I made no money in my time on a pink, infact I went into debt as the petrol costs were crippling me due to travel time in between pupils.  So if you decide on this option, expect to make no money and be firm with how many hours you want to work.

#10 02-08-07 20:56:48

tmg555
Verified Member

I was on part time pink with bsm i had a full time job mon to thur so i was only able to do lessons on fri and sat, it was good from the point of view that i had the car all week, so used to travel to and from work in it and it gave me experience with real learners you dont make hardly any money from it but you do gain the exp. You must use it as a training tool. I didn't but thats another story. Oh yes about the support, i felt i was chucked in at the deep end from day 1 basicly they just supplied the pupils and let you get on with it well thats what they did with me anyway.

Les Hayes
Approved Driving Instructor
For driving lessons in and around the Reading area
www.hayes-driving-lessons.co.uk
Tel 0118 9626 473

#11 02-08-07 21:03:21

Karenadi
Verified Member

Well doesn't sound right to me: because when I was with them 7 years ago, they were charging £18.50 an hour and paying £6.50 for part time instructors: so somethings wrong if they are taking all that.  Don't forget you still have to put fuel in the car too: and that is a darn sight more than it was 7 years ago as well.

I left because I was running at a loss by the time I'd paid them and put petrol in the car: joke: and that was after I'd qualified.  I'd question it to be honest. 

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 03-08-07 11:23:02

VandADI
Administrator

Well doesn't sound right to me: because when I was with them 7 years ago, they were charging £18.50 an hour and paying £6.50 for part time instructors:

£6.50 was for part time ADIs even less for a PDI, I got £5.50 and that was 5 years ago.

#13 03-08-07 13:53:11

Karenadi
Verified Member

Got to be a better way: still got fuel to pay out of that.  Rip off springs to mind.

#14 03-08-07 14:55:44

Elliot

What's better than BSM if your a PDI then?  All the others provide a flat franchise fee which means that they still get money from you even if they don't give you pupils e.g Red has a horrendous PDI franchise of £250 a week which = quick bankruptcy to me.

There's a lot of schools where you have to have your own car, again you have the risk of having to not only pay a franchise fee but the cost of your car aswell.

Who therefore will offer a risk free franchise including a car which on a par with or better than BSM?  And i am talking trainee licence holders only.

#15 03-08-07 16:16:51

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

That franchise from BSM is one of the easiest low risk ways into the market.

Any other option requires a car, or a franchise fee. Unless you get very lucky with a very nice sponsoring ADI who loans you a car (unlikely) there is no way around it.

If you have a suitable car then get it dualled up and go for a referral system (many local schools will charge you only for successful introductions - usually £20+ a shot, so first lesson cost really.

I found the BSM option to be an ideal way in. Just don't expect (or try) to earn anything while on it.

#16 05-08-07 07:50:47

Karenadi
Verified Member

Hi Tim: your advice is sound and correct.  At the end of the day the trainee licence IS what it says: and should not be used to try and earn money.  If the trainee is happy with that then fair enough go for it.  At the end of the day, at least you can't lose money that way as you are only paying for what you get as opposed to paying for something you might not get.

When I look at it that way: the opportunity to practice and not run on a loss is I suppose fair enough.  My previous comments were unjust as far as a trainee licence goes: but would be more than fair in respect of a qualified ADI.

I stand corrected. :oops:

#17 06-08-07 10:06:55

weemann
Verified Member
Website

I'm on the part time franchise and it's working fine for me at the moment.  I've been a little up and down (at the peak I was up to about 25 hours, lowest about 12 in a week) but at least I don't have the expense of a car lease, insurance, etc.  In order to keep the income flowing I am also temping.  It's a strain juggling two jobs, but it's working for me and the staff at my BSM office are great, very helpful and friendly.  The other thing is that they realise that most people in my position will want to leave after qualifying in order to earn more money, so are making sure they keep me as happy as possible.  OK, so I'd like to get more pupils out of them, but I'm currently averaging about 19 hours a week, so it's more than covering my costs.

On my calculations (and backed up by BSM) you need a regular 26 hours per week to make the transition to a full franchise (this also gives a little buffer to cover cancellations, etc), but the bonus of this franchise is that, if you don't work, you don't pay out.  OK, so the income is low, but it's there to help you get going.

If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up. The Times, Tues Jun 17, 2008

#18 06-08-07 16:40:44

Elliot

Thanks for all your replies.  Clearly they are the way to go if you want to go on a pink licence and be pretty much financially risk free.  Cheers.

#19 09-08-07 23:40:17

Leadplayer
Verified Member
Website

I've done all my training with BSM the support package worked fine for me and as soon as I had passed part 2 went on Pink License on a variable franchise package which meant I got varying ammounts depending on how many hours I did each week £6:20 upto £11 appx after 3 weeks I was regularly covering 24+ hrs a week and decided to go full franchise and after passing part 3 on 7th June have remained on full franchise the back up from the office staff and relevent Customer Services they offer have been more than acceptable as well as supplying any ammount of new customers I want along with business reviews and any other support needed

The variable package requires a minimum of 15 hrs a week comitment fron you and will bring in around £75 to £140 depending on hours worked less fuel of course I was on Pink from 14th march to 7th June and found the experience invaluable

Dave Grade 5 DSA and I A M registered Instructor

#20 10-08-07 19:35:05

Rockin
Verified Member

I went on my own right from the start 4 years ago. Leased a car got my own pupils and had a second part time job. It worked for me. Im still on my own and very happy with my lot. I personally would never go an a franchise but horses for course as they say.

Rockin

#21 13-08-07 08:55:35

Karenadi
Verified Member

That's great Rockin, but if you're going on a trainee licence, then you've got to have a supporting ADI and that generally means a franchise.

#22 01-10-07 19:49:12

maders
Verified Member
Website

hey,
im have just completed my 40hrs and i have been looking into bsm for my 6mths on the pink. i think that franchise where you only get paid for the hours you work is a good one, if you dont get clients you dont pay them sort of thing. are they a good company or not?? im getting alittle freaked coz it is like your thrown in the deep end! but how else you you get started and gain the confidence??

'be driven to success'

#23 01-10-07 20:03:15

maders
Verified Member
Website

thanks, i work shifts and i have stopped all my over time, im not looking to make extra cash so to speak as this is just a learning process. but i dont want it to starting eating into my other money, so you right the part time one will be better for me. i will have to have a look and see where my local one is. im moving to steatham in 2 weeks time so i will call them and find out!
do you know of anyother companies that offer any similar things???

'be driven to success'

#24 01-10-07 20:06:48

spikeyperch

I think that New Driver do similar with PDI's but I think you have to supply your own car. Not sure if they cover that area or not.
You could try appoaching one of the local schools and see if they would like to sponsor you, its worth a try. Perhaps someone on the forum works the area you are moving to they maybe able to give you more information. SP

#25 01-10-07 20:25:27

maders
Verified Member
Website

thanks,

might try and send some msg out to see!

'be driven to success'

Board footer