You are not logged in.

#1 29-03-04 15:22:05

paulwi57

Quickest way forward

Well here I am trawling the net to find out what I can about becoming an ADI, I have just had to give up my job as a result of a motorcycle accident (not my fault) and am thinking seriously about going to the instructor college.
I am currently a member of the IAM for car and bike and an observer for bike, will this help?? also what is the quickest way forward as I will need to earn some money soon!!!

29-03-04 15:22:05

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Quickest way forward

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 29-03-04 19:06:20

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about your accident, lets hope that as an ADI you can improve driving standards!

The quickest way forward is to ensure you pass each of the 3 exams 1st time.

The shortest possible time is probably about 6 months, it can be done in slightly less time but may well be significantly more. If you are told it will be less time than that then make sure you get it in writing.

If you read some of the posts on this forum you may get a better sense of what the Instructor College can do for you. It may depend on the individual trainer(s) you are allocated.

As for being an IAM observer, it should hold you in good stead if you can adapt the whole of your driving to the DSA style/system. But be warned - it is different!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

#3 29-03-04 19:36:24

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Hi Paul

There is no quick solution to becoming an ADI. As stated above you are looking at a minimum of 6 months but to be more realistic it is likely to be 10 - 12 months. With current waiting lists for exams it can be even longer in some areas of the uk.

I have a great deal of experience in ADI training and in my opinion one of the biggest causes of failure is trainees rushing the training and taking exams under prepared.

If you decide to take up the challenge of this highly rewarding and exciting career (one which I highly recommend) then do be prepared to put in long hard hours of study and practice. This is the only way to qualify.

Be very wary of sales pitches that promise an easy and quick route. There isn't one!  If something sounds too good to be true, it generally is!

Good luck whatever you decide. You obviously already have an interest in the subject so it would make sense to make a career out of it.  Keep us informed of your progress

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#4 29-03-04 20:48:56

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

Hi Paul

I did my training over 18 months part time before i qualified last Aug> I trained with LDC but you will have to do a lot of self study to get thru the couse

#5 03-04-04 10:39:59

Mr C
Website

I was "interviewed" by the company that offered the training...

After I started, and then the company started becoming difficult to contact to arrange lessons, I realised that I should have interviewed THEM.

I started off with one company, who have undergone many changes since then, and seem even worse now than then!  I won't name them here...

In the end I went to another company for Part 3, which went well and very fast.

It took me 7 months to get through Parts 1 and 2 - with the slow company, then just 8 weeks to complete Part 3.

It is possible to do it quickly - but you have to do it right...  The only way to do it quickly is to put in loads of time each day

Good luck with it anyway.

#6 03-04-04 12:20:46

Badger

You can do Part 1 on your own using the CD rom and a copy of the questions obtainable from the DSA.

Part 2 you can do with the help of an ADI who advertises lessons for it.

Part 3 you will need to have a good trainer to pass with.

Ask BSM for their details and some idea of the top cost.

Ask the TIC the same

Both above websites can be found  with Google

If you do decide to get into it buy a copy of the ADI Starter Pack - (ADI 14), which you can order from the DSA. Phone 0115 901 2500 (Switchboard - tell them you want to order a Pack)

There is no reason why you cant do training for part 1 & 2 at the same time. You have tom pass each part befiore you can book the next so your progress is governed to a certain extent by the waiting list.

Ask if you need more info

Badger

Board footer