You are not logged in.

#1 01-02-05 13:31:27

Dan
Verified Member

Loss of Earnings - Illness / Car Repair

Hi all,

I have car insurance for instruction through the DIA.

I've had a few problems with my car recently, and had to take it back to the dealership for repair several times.

Am I entitled to claim for earnings lost from the dealership? - Or do I need to take out seperate insurance for this.

On a similar line - do any of you have insurance for accident / illness?  Such as severe flu for a week etc - who/what is the best policy to cover this type of thing?

Many thanks,

Dan

01-02-05 13:31:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Loss of Earnings - Illness / Car Repair

#2 01-02-05 14:11:14

althorpdt
Verified Member

Not sure if you can claim back loss of earnings from dealership, you probably just have to factor this into your income.  With regard to personal accident/sickness, there is nothing available for short term sickness (a week etc), but I work in financial services and I believe that all self-employed people should have an income protection policy.  This will cover part of your income in the event of long term sickness or if you were unable to work because of an accident.  Most of these policies don't kick in until you have been off for about 3 months - but you can choose a longer or shorter period (min usually 1 month).  It is therefore very important that you have sufficient savings to cover 3 months income as a minimum.  Shorter amounts of time off work just have to be taken in your stride I'm afraid - one of the "perks" of self employment is no sick pay!

Wife of althorpdt

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 01-02-05 16:24:30

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

As for illness as a self employed person its part of life that you loose earnings. Although critical illness cover can be bought to cover some of the nastier things that could put you out of acton long term.

As for car being broken, contact the DIA they published a statement you can add to a car order form stating the vehicle is fit for the purpose you intend to use it for. If it all goes bad you will then have a way to demand compensation.

Or, buy a car from a garage that has courtesy cars with dual controls in.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#4 01-02-05 19:51:37

buzdriver

i was told that you should have a years earnings put ino a savings account to help you through any problems. you try and save twenty grand  lol

Board footer