You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 01-04-04 13:33:56

jonks

Learner drivers on motorways

Yes, it is going to happen!

The department of transport are seriously considdering letting learner drivers onto the motorway. See http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_ob … _page.html

Your comments please...

01-04-04 13:33:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Learner drivers on motorways

#2 01-04-04 18:20:17

Unplugged

tbh I never found them any different to Dual Carrigeways one of the first things I did was to go on the Motoway when I passed. was kinda easyier than going the long way tongue

Cant be any worse than the pikeys and Cloth Caps who frequent them anyway.

#3 01-04-04 18:56:37

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I definitely think Driving Instructors should be allowed to take pupils on to motorways.

Several times whilst giving post test motorway lessons I've been able to avert serious incidents by planning well ahead. With only a minority of pupils taking Pass Plus I think it leaves new drivers quite vunerable.

But we're talking DSA & friends making this decision. You watch and see if they only allow parents or friends to take them on. I wouldn't be suprised!

Regards,

#4 01-04-04 21:16:50

Michaela7
Website

I think it would be a good idea for learners to be allowed to drive on motrways.

In the area I live and teach in we have a very large high speed, (70mph), dual carriageway which in some places is more difficult to drive on than a motorway. Just like a motorway it has slip roads and a hard shoulder. It's on a test route as well! In one place it has four lanes - more than some motorways - and there is a point where lanes merge and a slip road goes off and you find drivers crossing lanes in a scissor action! I can remember when I first learnt to drive my own mother telling me that at this point on the dual carriagway it got pretty hairy so you had to "shut your eyes and put your foot down!" If the DSA deem that this is an appropriate road for learners to drive on - and they obviously do since it forms part of a test route - then it seems logical that they should also be allowed to drive on motorways which are definitely no more daunting or difficult than this road.  roll

About time I say but will it really ever happen??! :?:

Friendly, female Instructor! smile

Arrow School of Motoring

Car+small+picture.jpg

#5 01-04-04 22:55:25

jonks

Think of this though...

A major reason why a student might go on to take pass plus lessons would be their fear of driving on the motorway without training.

Remove motorway lessons from pass plus and you probably wont get many students going on to do it, thus loosing out on the experience gained from other modules covered in pass plus. Not to mention the thining of the driving instructors wallet caused by less Pass plus bookings.

If you are gouing to add motorway lessons to the learning curriculum, then you also need to add the other elements of pass plus. But then the student would almost cirtainly loose the insurance discount that they now get for doing pass plus.

#6 02-04-04 06:33:21

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jonks,

Don't forget we teach every element of the Pass Plus course except Motorways pre test anyway!

The curriculum for the Pass Plus is meant to be changing in July. We wait with baited breath to see what they will put in next!

Not everyone takes up Pass Plus because once they have their precious licence they don't want to spend any more money, I think we would all earn more if we took each pupil on Motorways for 3 or 4 hours pre test anyway.

I'm off for breakfast.

Regards,

Board footer