You are not logged in.

#1 12-06-07 18:45:21

Verified Member

D1 Minibus - Advice please.

Hi Guys

I'm an experienced ADI (17 years) and want to go and do my D1 (Hopefully before the rules change in a few weeks) I've had the medical, got D1 provisional on my licence and have found a transit type minibus (X reg) to have a practice with.

I am going to take it out on my own tomorrow morning for a couple of hours and see how it goes. I haven't driven anything bigger that a car for 20 years.

Any tips or advice would be welcome.

12-06-07 18:45:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: D1 Minibus - Advice please.

#2 12-06-07 19:33:05

reddragonbus
Verified Member

You need additional mirrors and you need to practice stopping at bus stops.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#3 12-06-07 20:20:06

Verified Member

Thanks for that John. Will the DE say "Will you pull up at the next bus-stop" or "Will you pull up at a convienent place" and it's up to me to spot a bus-stop if one is handy.

We have about 200mts of 24/7 bus lane locally. Can I use it as a minibus?

#4 12-06-07 20:34:31

den676
Verified Member

I believe you can only use bus lanes if you have a bus operators licence

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 12-06-07 21:14:48

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Thanks for that John. Will the DE say "Will you pull up at the next bus-stop" or "Will you pull up at a convienent place" and it's up to me to spot a bus-stop if one is handy.

We have about 200mts of 24/7 bus lane locally. Can I use it as a minibus?

The examiner will ask you to stop at the next bus stop as if to drop off and pick up passengers.

You need to check the sign for every bus lane, some bus lanes specify local buses only. The definition of a bus is a passenger carrying vehicle with more than 9 passenger seats, you generally don't need an operators licence to use a bus lane. Check the regulations in your area.

#6 12-06-07 21:15:15

FRANKS
Verified Member

Why are you doing a D1, why not just do D?

Make sure you know whats involved in the test,

reverse exercise, braking exercise, gear change exercise, SMTM, etc

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 12-06-07 21:39:09

Kev D
Verified Member

I am going to take it out on my own tomorrow morning for a couple of hours and see how it goes. I haven't driven anything bigger that a car for 20 years.

Any tips or advice would be welcome.

Just playing devils advocate here.  You obviously had grandfather rights D1 on your licence previously, and were able to drive a D1 category vehicle but not for hire or reward.  Now that you have got D1 provisional licence entitlement, does this negate your previous D1 status and mean that you must now be supervised by someone holding full entitlement for more than 3 years?

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#8 12-06-07 23:15:54

AndyBerry

No, the grandfather rights still remain as far as I know - the provisional licence is for an actual D1 rather than the grandfather rights. Obtaining an actual D1 would then lift the restriction of carrying passengers for hire/reward instead.

Andy

#9 13-06-07 06:46:20

Verified Member

Thanks for that. I thought I would do D1 because, although most of my work is with learners I do some work for the council. ie Driver improvement courses etc. I have been asked to assess minibus drivers but can't because I need full D1 to do the job properly (I know it takes 3 years to be fully active). I havn't really got the time or justify the expense to do a full D at the moment.

#10 13-06-07 07:47:02

reddragonbus
Verified Member

The main areas to be aware of with the bus test:

Know the speed limits for the vehicle.
Be ultra smooth at all times, no harsh acceleration, braking or steering.
Don't try to squeeze through gaps. Plan well ahead.
Mirrors, Mirrors, Mirrors and more Mirrors.
Make use of signals to warn following traffic when moving out for obstructions or waiting to pass an obstruction.
The marking follows the same pattern as a car test.

The reverse exercise you can get out and check your position in the bay, you can also open the window and look out, the body of the vehicle can leave the "area" so long as you don't hit any walls outside the area and the wheels remain inside the yellow boundary lines. You are allowed to shunt forward to correct your position provided you don't go forward of the furthest cones.

If you mess up the reverse exercise carry on to the end of the test.

#11 13-06-07 09:31:53

Verified Member

Cheers Jonathan
I've just been out for a couple of hours on my own with the minibus. The first 15 minutes were a bit shaky but I soon started to relax and think it went very well, no rear tyres on kerbs and gave myself a mental kick every time I missed or was late with a nearside door mirror check. I've been round all the crappiest junctions in the local test town and felt quite comfortable

Am I right in thinking the speedlimits for a transit 11 seat minibus are the same as a car.?

On the reversing exercise do I have to reverse back to a mark on the ground or a barrier? If so how near do I have to get? If there is a line on the ground is it the wheels that need to be up to it or the back of the bus?

#12 13-06-07 11:34:42

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Speed limits are the same as a bus as you have more than 9 passenger seats. (Also a standard transit panel van is considered a goods vehicle not a car).

30 50 60 70

The reverse exercise you need to position the back of the vehicle in a yellow box, there may or may not be a barrier behind you, check your local test centre. There are a few ways to get the position, we usually find a point on the side of the bus that lines up with the front of the box. The back edge of the wheel arch for example.

#13 13-06-07 22:24:38

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

What you cannot do with D1 with a 101 restriction is to accompany learner drivers on L plates in minibuses.  You need to have held an unrestricted (vocational) D1 or D licence for three years to do that.

To just assess drivers you can use your grandfather rights D1.

I would agree that you ought to be thinking of doing a D licence rather than a D1.

With regards to the test vehicle changes in July.  The main ones are ABS, vehicle length and weight.  At the moment you need to check whether the minibus you want to use for your test needs to have a tachograph fitted, it depends on it's age and I can't remember what that is.  I certainly needs external examiners mirrors fitted.  See www.blindspotmirrors.co.uk these are the ones fitted to the Cardington minibus.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

#14 15-06-07 16:28:27

Verified Member

Ok Guys
Went and passed my theory this afternoon 59/60 and 66/75. Went to book my practical but didn't know that they would need vehicle measurements.

#15 15-06-07 21:15:37

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Well done with the results on your theory hzp test, you did well.
Yes they need to know the vehicle length, width, height and number of seats in cab plus passenger seat total.

Is it a pre Oct 2003 bus you are using for the test?

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor

#16 15-06-07 21:30:29

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Ref a couple of points from previous replies.  I sometimes use a piece of contasting colour pvc tape on the o/s rear wheel arch stuck in a position that when you look in the mirror it at it, you know where the rear of the bus is.  If it's a transit you will have to remember the size of the rear step overhanging at the back.

The other point was signalling.  I teach to signal only if you are crossing the centre line when overtaking parked vehicles, otherwise just move out early with no signal.

Also regarding the braking exercise.  It's a controlled stop, not emergency braking.  You need to stop firmly, but not as harsh as a car.  In a coach on a dry day we normally end up with the cone three quarters of the way down the vehicle.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor

#17 16-06-07 08:28:20

Verified Member

Thanks for all that. A good tip about marking the wheel arch. Yes it is a transit, X Reg (2000). I assume the back of the rear step is considered the back of the vehicle. If I get out to have a look when reversing is it marked as a driving error as I presume a shunt would be.

Is there a copy of the examiners manoeuvring board online. I see there is several references to it in info about the test.

When I teach in cars I'm a strong believer in discerning signals - When pulling in with a "bus" should I be more inclined to signal "incase" there is someone right up behind me I can't see in my mirrors.

Our little bit of bus lane (300 mtrs) is now marked "local busses" DT1 says
Extract: only bus lanes that shouldn t be used are those marked LOCAL BUSES .
so I guess that is clear.

#18 16-06-07 14:19:21

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Be careful of attaching anything to the vehicle for reversing, some examiners take them off wink

I would always signal for pulling up and pulling away in a PCV or LGV.

Here is video of the reverse exercise, its the same regardless of vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/v/4rZrmfw0ghE

#19 16-06-07 14:24:15

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Here is another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGHWQ9FoS6s

And if you fancy a challenge try doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwJpE0ax61I

#20 16-06-07 18:06:49

Verified Member

The video really helped. I can see what I'm trying to do now.

The gear change exercise. Can you give me an idea of whats expected there. Will I need to pull over and creep along the kerb for some distance when going down to 2nd and 1st, if so should I continue to make a signal.

#21 16-06-07 18:53:58

reddragonbus
Verified Member

The gear change exercise is designed for the LGV tests its carried out during the D1 test but its beyond me why.

Pull away in the lowest gear drive for a short distance in each gear, change up in sequence to the gear nominated by the examiner. When you reach the highest gear required by the examiner, check mirrors, signal left then slow down using the foot brake and change down in sequence through all of the gears, press the gas gently and drive in each gear before changing down to the next gear, once you are in the lowest gear the examiner will ask you to to resume normal use of the gears, check the mirrors, cancel the left signal, check mirrors signal right then accelerate when its safe to do so.

You should be able to select each gear without the vehicle changing speed when you bring the clutch up, ie match the engine speed to road speed.

It makes sense in a lorry where you may not use the lowest 3 or 4 gears normally but in a minibus it can be silly.

#22 16-06-07 19:00:03

reddragonbus
Verified Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um1TZW2Fbuc

Watch the guy puts the signal on before checking his mirrors. lol

#23 16-06-07 22:36:48

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Jonathan, you must have some mean examiners where you are if they remove any markings that are used for reversing.  We certainly have no problems at our centre, Most of the test vehicles have them.  I know that they use them at Manchester as well.  Our Volvo coach does not need anything, as a side marker lens lines up nicely.  But some of our vehicles have nothing that will line up for a reference point, so thats when I use some sort of marker. 

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor

#24 17-06-07 08:28:53

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Ye we have mean examiners lol.

One of the local bus companies screwed a rubber door stop to the side of the bus and the examiner stormed off in the huff.

#25 17-06-07 10:01:20

Verified Member

I've found that the bottom of the offside mudflap and the centre of the rear wheel hub does the trick exactly. Thanks

Board footer