You are not logged in.

#1 05-06-07 22:28:11

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Are any of you out there LGV or PCV Instructors? or potential ones?

As this new LGV / PCV section seems to be lacking in new posts I thought I would put the feelers out to see how many other large vehicle instructors we have looking at this section, or even potential large vehicle instructors

I am a primarily a PCV Instructor, but also hold a C licence and do a tiny bit of driver development / remedial training on goods vehicles.

Be interesting to see how much response this post brings.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

05-06-07 22:28:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Are any of you out there LGV or PCV Instructors? or potential ones?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 06-06-07 17:16:16

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ya storminnorman..  big_smile

I've sat (and passed) Part 1 for the RLGV, but I've unfortunatly put all my training on hold.

I've not been able to find an LGV School or Large LGV Operator who is taking on any LGV Instructors. I thought there would have been a huge amount of work for LGV Instructors, but I can't find any in my area. I really can't justify spending a fairly large amount of money on training and tests, if there's no chance of work..

Re-evaluate in a while though...  smile

DSA CBT1D - RPMT
RoSPA (Dip) Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
www.njrmotorcycletraining.com

#3 06-06-07 21:41:53

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Hi Iggy

Sorry to hear you have put your training on hold.

It's probably a bit early for the LGV organisations to be increasing their trainer numbers for driver CPC at the moment.  Our LGV managers recently had their first meeting to discuss the topic.  They were surpised how much I knew about the subject.  But I had attended three seminars about it.

For me, even with PCV CPC coming in Sept 2008, I have not yet worked out what if any additional trainers we will need.  I suppose I one day I really ought.  My director keeps asking me for figures and a business plan regarding it, as we will probably be an accredited centre, certainly for PCV but possibly for LGV as well, but it's early days yet.

I was looking at the price online of the FTA LGV Instructor course.  Over 5k for 8 days.  What sort of prices did you get quoted.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor

#4 07-06-07 16:12:25

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

I've been quoted from £3,800 to over £5K!

I'm just a bit disillusioned with the whole DSA LGV Register. It really doesn't seem to be "up & running" yet, from what I can see.

DSA CBT1D - RPMT
RoSPA (Dip) Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
www.njrmotorcycletraining.com

#5 07-06-07 22:15:14

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Thats a lot of dosh.  We paid about £2k for a 15 day PCV instructors course earlier this year.

There's talk they want to take over the PCV industry register as well.  What are we letting ourselves in for.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor

#6 12-06-07 19:40:48

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I teach PCV, LGV and MiDAS.

I'm not registered as a PCV or LGV instructor.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#7 12-06-07 21:51:44

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Redragonbus - Glad to see we have some more PCV / LGV instructors on the forum. 
Do you do much Midas work.  Our organisation decided not to use the midas scheme, we do our own thing and do lots of minibus training, as well as all sort of other vehicles.  I am also a PATS trainer.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor

#8 13-06-07 07:39:09

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Who runs the PCV register? I was trying to find information on it.

Theres not alot of demand for MiDAS, there is a community transport operation near me who have a monopoly on the training. I did my DATs training with them. I'm not sure of the true value of MiDAS to be honest, the standard of driving required to pass a driving assessment is shockingly low. A DSA examiner certainly wouldnt be handing out a vocational D1 licence to some of the drivers who get a MiDAS certificate.

#9 13-06-07 22:51:32

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

The PCV Register is now run by GoSkills (formerly Transfed) www.goskills.org they are the industry skills council.

Regarding MIDAS, it's better than nothing, but the standards do vary widely, which is why we as an organisation do not recognise it .  The standard is really set by the assessor, a lot of whom only hold a grandfather D1 licence. 
Be honest though, how many drivers that have previously passed their test are of a standard that they would pass again now without training.  The same goes for the professional drivers as well. 
If I waited until all of the drivers that I assess were of test standard, we would have no drivers, or I would spend far more time than could be justified training them.  All I can do is to try to coach them to a safe, competent level.   I work in a commercial world and reality has to come into it.  I often get told that my expected standards are too high, but I think I pitch about right.

I must say that there are not many professional drivers that I go with some time after their test pass, that have tried to improve their standards.  Most seem let their standards lower.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 13-06-07 23:38:07

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

As this new LGV / PCV section seems to be lacking in new posts I thought I would put the feelers out to see how many other large vehicle instructors we have looking at this section, or even potential large vehicle instructors

I am a primarily a PCV Instructor, but also hold a C licence and do a tiny bit of driver development / remedial training on goods vehicles.

Be interesting to see how much response this post brings.

this is the field i would prefer to teach in, I have LGV1 and assess any new drivers into our company, BUT, because I am an assessor and not a trainer, most drivers tell me to feck off :evil:, most dont know I have a Rospa diploma for car and now an ADI badge, I paid for my training for ADI and wont use it within my company unless I can get them to pay for any other training I need, only thing is, I dont know what to ask for now :cry:

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#11 14-06-07 08:10:27

reddragonbus
Verified Member

They only want a NVQ in driving instruction, ffs, how many times do I have to prove I can flippin teach people driving skills?

I bet they wouldnt recognise an ADI badge and Fleet badge as proof of being qualified to give driving instruction.

#12 14-06-07 22:18:44

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Usually the NVQ level 3 is built in a PCV instructor course, with the evidence gathered from the trainees that you teach.  I did a 3 week course a few years ago with Transtech at Manchester.  The course and NVQ do not just cover driving instruction in the vehicle, but also covers preparing and delivering classroom training sessions and static vehicle lessons, which is an area the ADI qualification does not really touch.

As you are aware, anyone with just 3 years experience and no formal qualifications can teach PCV drivers.  So the GoSkills scheme is at least a formal method of assessing the trainers ability.

I found the course very demanding, but came away from it with the skills and confidence to straight away design and present classroom training sessions to groups of 12 drivers or more, as well as giving driving instruction. 

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor

#13 15-06-07 07:45:47

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I just laugh at the number of organisations handing out bits of paper.

I found MiDAS and ADI fleet training were similar, the DSA fleet qualification requires in class presentation skills and vehicle safety checks. With Fleet you should go into the same depth with a car driver as you would with a PCV or LGV driver, full daily walk around vehicle checks.

I do see the point of having different course and differenct organisations but I tire of proving I can teach people to drive. I had no sooner got my fleet badge and I was out for a check test. If I did LGV and PCV accreditation I would never have time to teach anyone anything as I'd constantly be getting tested myself. lol

Board footer