You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 02-06-07 20:58:02

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Has anyone done any CIEH or similar risk assessment or H&S quals?

I'm wondering whether I can argue that I don't need to take an extra days training to do

CIEH Level 2 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace (1 day course)

or

CIEH Certificate in Risk Assessment Principles and Practice (General) (1.5 day course)

when I apply to be an off road vehicles trainer?

I've already done the Fleet course and got my Orange badge - do I really need more risk assessment courses in classrooms?

I'm not sure exactly how in depth these are - if anyone has done them, or know how in depth they are - please tell....!

02-06-07 20:58:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Has anyone done any CIEH or similar risk assessment or H&S quals?

#2 02-06-07 23:07:28

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

I did an IOSH Managing Safely course.  It was run by our company Health & Safety Manager.  It was a four day course and covered risk assessments amongst other things.  I think the philosophy behind it was the usual covering backside stuff as well as you might learn how to do them properly.  The course did not go into that greater depth on anything.  But touched on lots of different areas and regulations.

I think our courses were set up because written risk assessments in some areas were nearly non existent.

I suppose it does help me with the risk assessments though.  But having said that, I am the person in our division of the company who looks after collating, checking and inputting etc. all of our risk assessments.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

#3 02-06-07 23:12:23

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Thanks norman - should have known you'd have done one - could you do me a favour and get back to me once you've done your fleet and tell me how the fleet risk assessment compares to some of the stuff you did in the course?

Thanks.
Tim.

#4 10-06-07 09:56:51

Jimothy
Verified Member

I worked in industry as a health and safety manager for many years before i "retired" and hold some of the highest health and safety qualifications available in the country.

The short answer is that you don't necessarily need any further qualifications. What you need to be able to do is identify the risks associated with what you are doing and manage those risks out so far as is reasonably practicable. But we are talking real time risks here, so its as much about the system of car control as anything else.

If you're talking about off road risks, rather than on-raod risks you might find it useful to sit down and write down all the risks you can identify associated with what you are doing. For all of the significant risks it would be useful to write down how you intend to control that risk. For example if there is a risk of the vehicle rolling over you might want to either (a) not do it or (b) fit roll bars to the vehicle.

The crucial thing is that risk assessment is NOT a black art, it's common sense.

If you want any specific info then drop me a PM or call me on 07747 531457.

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor
Driving Standards Agency Registered Fleet Driver Trainer
ORDIT registered instructor trainer
Accredited BTEC Trainer (Driving Science)
IAM Registered Instructor
IAM Observer

#5 10-06-07 16:17:13

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Jimothy - I've looked into a couple of these qualifications now, and the majority of them really do just seem like common sense - though as we know, common sense is not all that common!

It's actually quite easy to fit the fleet method of working around off-roading. Several of the basic safety principles are exactly the same - if the car is sliding, take away the cause is a really simple one, which can easily be used when sideslopes and the like are included.

I think I'm going to have a chat with them about this and hopefully I'll be able to reassure them that what I do already is hopefully beyond most of these simpler courses.

However, I am thinking about taking the risk assessment side of things further with regards the fleet and off road stuff, so I might actually do the full course and join one of the professional associations.

Thanks both of you.

Board footer